PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Derek Carr - Mac Jones Comp

I think Carr is a fair comp and if Mac can reach that level of play next year that would great. Am hopeful he ends up closer to a Philip Rivers level and is becomes a perennial Pro Bowler and is border line HOFer. With the right team around him that should be good enough to contend yearly and have a chance for a Super Bowl.

I also agree no one saw Josh Allen's improvements coming, but he said to be raw with a high ceiling coming out of college, and IMO Mac simply doesn't have his physical skills and while he can improve I don't see how he can catch up.
josh allen only exploded on the league in 2020, after Diggs showed up in Buffalo. hmmm

Be nice to get a player like that for Mac to work with...

Last edited:
there is no reason to think you can't win with Mac Jones. with competent (read: better) receivers and more aggressive game plans Jones could makes runs at AFC titles. but if coach bill sticks with the run first conservative mind set we're destined to a string on 10-7,9-8, 8-9 finishes and Jones will leave after his rookie contract

I don't know think Carr is a bad comp but I think Carr is a little better at improvising while I think Mac still needs to work through things the traditional way. That may come with experience but to be honest my comp is pre-injury Chad Pennington. Not the most physically gifted but smart, accurate, and tough. I know pre injury Pennington is a small sample size but he was a really good QB before the injuries and even a solid QB after them.
I agree pre-injury Pennington is probably a better comp, but it's easier to work with the Carr comp IMO since he's still playing whereas Chad hasn't played since 2011.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back