PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Atlanta Falcons Have Hung Their Own Version Of A Participation Trophy In Their New Stadium

Hahahaha I can't believe that's real.

He didn't even set the record, just tied it?

If I were a Falcons fan, every time I looked at that I would be reminded about how the guy on the ground got up, brushed himself off, and eviscerated my defense over the last 20 minutes of the game.

It'snot am actual banner. More like a photomural in a bar.

If it's just a series of posters highlighting different players and accomplishments than it seems fine to me. It didn't look like it was emulating a permanent super bowl type banner.

I imagine some fans will enjoy seeing a Falcon make Brady eat dirt. Most will probably prefer not to emphasize that game.

Do we think Kraft was embarrassed hanging that 16-0 banner, though? I know we as fans were.

By the way, does anyone know where this is? Looks like it's in some place where people walk?

There is nothing to be embarrassed about.

A 16-0 season is more impressive and requires more work than a SB win. Unfortunately, people just cant get over the bottomline instead of recognizing that sustained perfection over 17 weeks is more challenging than stringing together 2-3 great games in January. Mind you I am not saying 16-0 is more valuable than a Lombardi Trophy, I am just saying that the amount of dedication to get there is more difficult than to win a SB.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about.

A 16-0 season is more impressive and requires more work than a SB win. Unfortunately, people just cant get over the bottomline instead of recognizing that sustained perfection over 17 weeks is more challenging than stringing together 2-3 great games in January. Mind you I am not saying 16-0 is more valuable than a Lombardi Trophy, I am just saying that the amount of dedication to get there is more difficult than to win a SB.

Going 16-0 was absolutely a tremendous accomplishment and adds a significant chapter to the story of how the 2001-2017 New England Patriots Dynasty ran roughshod over the league during that period (and counting).

When you think of the teams that represented how this franchise dominated teams, that team is at or near the top of the list. In the end, they just had a bad day.

Its not like Bob hung a 2007 AFC Champions or 2010 AFC East Champions banner.

img_2360.jpg

giphy.gif

This can't be real. Impossible. If so, that has to be one of the dumbest banners to ever be hanged by a team.
Apparently it is real, though at least it does not hang over the field. According to the report below it hangs in a bar at their stadium.

Falcons brag about record they broke in Super Bowl LI in new bar

Inside a bar at the team's mint stadium there is a wall seemingly dedicated to the team tying a Super Bowl record with three sacks in the game.

It's embarassing. And - though some on here will come and give the usual "we're spoiled, in the olden days, blah blah..." I never cared about any of this stuff. There is first place and then F-all.

Winning is everything. In pro sports, nothing else matters. Winning.

I was never big on the 16-0 banner, (not embarassing, just not a banner accomplishment), but I do think teams should hang Conference Championship banners. In the US, we all love the all-or-nothing nature of the sport, but in many sports leagues there are actually trophies for best regular season record, cups for tournament wins (soccer.). I don't think that banners should be overdone (the Colts, the most glaring example), but I do think that a conference title is something to be proud of. Divisional championships are probably too weak with a mere four team race, although listing the number of divisional titles on one banner wouldn't be that ridiculous.

Anyway, back to the Conference titles. You get the Halas or Clark trophy for winning the conference. The AFC and NFC both have storied histories, rivalries, etc. The conferences are clearly divided into two distinct fields of competitors. And making a Super Bowl appearance is an exceptional accomplishment. Being in the Super Bowl as a participant, win or lose, makes you part of history.

So I think the Pats should have the following banners:

*1 white banner that says "19X Divisional Champions"
*9 red banners that say "AFC Conference Champion" for 1985, 1996, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007 (could add a small marking for undefeated), 2011, 2014, 2016
*5 blue banners (which are much bigger and more glamorous like the current ones, showcased from the rest like they are now) that have SBs 36, 38, 39, 49, 51

Just to emphasize, I wouldn't want the stadium to be overwhelmed with non-championship banners and would not be the center of attention. The conference championship banners would not be as big as the SB ones. I think the Pats should be proud to have more divisional championships than any team in the AFC East and more Conference Championships than any team in the NFL.

Guys, its Atlanta. I mean the bar is set pretty low there.

They should hang pictures of the Owner and his wife from the Fourth quarter on. Love their countenance talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. :D

That's legit sad.
And people laugh at me when I say they won't make the playoffs, even despite their talented roster. They're not over it. And we've seen that the SB hangover a real thing over the past decade and maybe even longer.

Guys i realize alot of us our secretly jealous of this record and wish we had something like this at Gillette. So i propose a two sacks, forced fumble, and interception banner for the performance of kony ealy in superbowl 50. That ought to shut up those arrogant falcons.

Just an FYI actual SB game records were set in that game

Brady set the record for most completions and passing yards in a game

James White set the record for most points scored by a player and most receptions in a game.

But ya

oh and about Jarrett's 3 sacks. Kony Ealy is tied for that record too.

That's legit sad.

I agree, but understand. You young 'uns don't remember a time when the highlight was a snowplow. When winning the AFCC in Miami and not being shut out by the Bears wa he only thing you could brag about.

Yes, it IS sad.

I can't wait to see what Saints fans think about this.

I agree, but understand. You young 'uns don't remember a time when the highlight was a snowplow. When winning the AFCC in Miami and not being shut out by the Bears wa he only thing you could brag about.

Yes, it IS sad.

You know what the Patriots DIDN'T do?

Hang a ****ing banner about it.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back