PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2023 Draft Binkie Thread

A couple more

Drew Sanders Middle Linebacker Arkansas. 6’5” 235. Not your ideal Patriot’s LB, but I think he can add weight. Started at Alabama (won a championship with Mac in 2020), and transferred to Arkansas. They moved him from edge to stand up linebacker. Though he was a middle linebacker there, they lined him up everywhere, OLB, DLine, etc. Be interesting to see his combine numbers, but my eye test shows and explosive player, always around the ball, 9.5 sacks, 1st team All SEC player, Butkus finalist. We could certainly use some young talent at linebacker.

Hunter Luepke Fullback North Dakota State. 6’1” 235. What I like about him is he’s so versatile. Lined up at fullback, halfback, TE, and even split wide once in a while. He runs hard and low to the ground, is an excellent blocker at FB, and has good hands, saw him make some excellent TE like catches in his career. IF BOB and the Pats go back to a traditional FB, this guy would be a great pick.
I am in on Hunter also, reminds me of kevin turner but better down field rec.

Jonah Tavai is a wrecking balls. Just watch what he did to double-teams. He would be a fan favorite from first day 2 of TC. Use a sixth on him and not on a punter.

Anton Harrison/Darnell Wright (OT) - Love the pass pro to protect mac

Garrett Williams (CB) - Great corner that'll be a round or two cheaper due to ACL injury

Daiyan Henley (LB) - New school LB w/ speed and coverage, hybrid could be used a lot of places

My draft Beankie remains Tre Tucker. He didn't have the best showing in the Combine, with "only" a 4.40 (1.48 10), a slight bobble on a slant... out? and a clear drop on a curl (and maybe a corner but that was prob a bad throw), but that can be to the Pats' advantage. Doubt he'd make it to the 6th with the Falcons looking to reunite him with Ridder. A 4th would be an overpay, but I really like this dude - especially upstairs, but not as much as last year's Beankie CW. Side note - based on close video analysis, Tucker ran faster than Calvin Austin's 4.33 from last year. Had long rants last year about how bush league the time measuring system of the Combine is, but it is what it is.

I tend to not go for guys in the obvious category (JSN, QJ, JA, ZF), so my subbinkie aldavis track speed watch list is guys like Andrei Iosivas, Derius Davis, Trey Palmer, and Tyler Scott. I really like Jalin Hyatt, but he's prob going 1st rnd, and he was a drop machine at the Combine (3 drops), and he duplicates what TT11 is.

If it were up to me (and thank the skies it isn't), I'd get Palmer in the 2nd and Tucker with the last 4th pick - ideally one of the 6ths though. Charlie Jones absolutely forced his way into my subbinkie list even though it doesn't look like he ran track in HS - he's someone I'd love to get in the 4th instead of Tucker if that doesn't work out. Iosivas or Scott I'd like to get in the 3rd if no Palmer, and Derius has hands that are too small, so he's sadly out.

That being said, I think Palmer is the real deal, and it seems like the dude gets it now upstairs. Plus he was coached by Mickey Joseph, whom Palmer followed from LSU to Nebraska - WR coach for Ja'marr and JusJeff. He said he's the fastest guy he's ever coached. Palmer had a really good showing at the Combine - 2 slight bobbles but no drops, which is a huge concern from last year but improved over the course of the year (plus the QB play / schemes were atrocious). In the Senior Bowl practices, I was most impressed by the tough catches he made over the short/intermediate middle - no drops that I saw there either. Imho, I think having Palmer, Tucker, Thornton, and Pierre Strong in 11 personnel for the next couple of years would be the scariest set in the NFL. That's assuming my guy TB80 does what I think he can do. Giving him a mulligan for last year due to the sheer offensive a$sf*ckery of it all.

I guess we have Pro Days coming up, but I don't like the 40 times from there either. Would love to see some 3cones and shuttles (JSN's Combine 3cone 6.57 shuttle 3.93 made my eyes pop out but why wuss out on the 40).

Last edited:
My draft Beankie remains Tre Tucker. He didn't have the best showing in the Combine, with "only" a 4.40 (1.48 10), a slight bobble on a slant... out? and a clear drop on a curl (and maybe a corner but that was prob a bad throw), but that can be to the Pats' advantage. Doubt he'd make it to the 6th with the Falcons looking to reunite him with Ridder. A 4th would be an overpay, but I really like this dude - especially upstairs, but not as much as last year's Beankie CW. Side note - based on close video analysis, Tucker ran faster than Calvin Austin's 4.33 from last year. Had long rants last year about how bush league the time measuring system of the Combine is, but it is what it is.

I tend to not go for guys in the obvious category (JSN, QJ, JA, TF), so my subbinkie aldavis track speed watch list is guys like Andrei Iosivas, Derius Davis, Trey Palmer, and Tyler Scott. I really like Jalin Hyatt, but he's prob going 1st rnd, and he was a drop machine at the Combine (3 drops), and he duplicates what TT11 is.

If it were up to me (and thank the skies it isn't), I'd get Palmer in the 2nd and Tucker with the last 4th pick - ideally one of the 6ths though. Charlie Jones absolutely forced his way into my subbinkie list even though it doesn't look like he ran track in HS - he's someone I'd love to get in the 4th instead of Tucker if that doesn't work out. Iosivas or Scott I'd like to get in the 3rd if no Palmer, and Derius has hands that are too small, so he's sadly out.

That being said, I think Palmer is the real deal, and it seems like the dude gets it now upstairs. Plus he was coached by Mickey Joseph, whom Palmer followed from LSU to Nebraska - WR coach for Ja'marr and JusJeff. He said he's the fastest guy he's ever coached. Palmer had a really good showing at the Combine - 2 slight bobbles but no drops, which is a huge concern from last year but improved over the course of the year (plus the QB play / schemes were atrocious). In the Senior Bowl practices, I was most impressed by the tough catches he made over the short/intermediate middle - no drops that I saw there either. Imho, I think having Palmer, Tucker, Thornton, and Pierre Strong in 11 personnel for the next couple of years would be the scariest set in the NFL. That's assuming my guy TB80 does what I think he can do. Giving him a mulligan for last year due to the sheer offensive a$sf*ckery of it all.

I guess we have Pro Days coming up, but I don't like the 40 times from there either. Would love to see some 3cones and shuttles (JSN's Combine 3cone 6.57 shuttle 3.93 made my eyes pop out but why wuss out on the 40).
I'm a fan of Palmer and Tre. Palmer has a ridiculous drop rate and is Hyatt-lite in some senses. I really don't care about drops lol I can't lie. It's frustrating but I'll take the good over drops if that's the biggest concern.

I'm a fan of Palmer and Tre. Palmer has a ridiculous drop rate and is Hyatt-lite in some senses. I really don't care about drops lol I can't lie. It's frustrating but I'll take the good over drops if that's the biggest concern.

I was pretty disappointed Palmer ran the fastest WR 40. No way he's making it to the 4th now.

Here's Stroud's throw to Palmer at the Combine. 2.99sec TimeToThrow, 61-62yds down the field, ~64-65 air yards, and Palmer still has to slow down a fair amount to grab it.

CJ-Trey.gif

Have another bikie

WR Andrei Iosivas Princeton. I had seen his highlights before the combine, and really liked what I saw, good size, speed and hands. But then saw what he did at the combine. He’s 6’3” 205, ran a 4.43, had a 39” vertical and a 6.85 3 cone. Also had a 10’9” broad jump. So he’s very explosive with good size, and since he went to Princeton, I would assume he’s pretty smart as well.

At TE i definitely like Darnell Washington, that guy is a mountain

WR = Zay Flowers would be great in slot and can play outside

LB = Noah Sewell could be a monster ILB for us

DT = Mazi Smith would be a great NT type to eat up blockers inside to help Barmore feast

S = Jordan Battle has Obrien connection to Alabama and seems like a great box safety, but does lack a bit in coverage (or maybe Jay Ward)

RB = Sean Tucker could be an elite 3rd down back for us, if he falls to rounds 3-4 they should definitely consider him.. depending on which draft site you mock with, ive seen him go anywhere from 1st round to like 6th round lol...

TE = Luke Schoonmaker could be solid TE on day 2

K = Noah Ruggles - Need to keep bringing in kickers until we find someone to replace Folk.. appreciate everything hes done but hes old and his leg is severely limited, like Adam V in his 40s limited it seems, we need a young leg

TE = Zach Kuntz should be drafted for his name alone... he might even be a decent TE... who knows, who cares?

OC = Juice Scruggs... see above comment about Kuntz

Draft prospects are like pokemon, i want to collect them all!

I tend to not go for guys in the obvious category (JSN, QJ, JA, ZF), so my subbinkie aldavis track speed watch list is guys like Andrei Iosivas, Derius Davis, Trey Palmer, and Tyler Scott. I really like Jalin Hyatt, but he's prob going 1st rnd, and he was a drop machine at the Combine (3 drops), and he duplicates what TT11 is.

Welp... Tre Tucker's still my Beankie, but it's tenuous at best - so much so rational side is wondering if Pats should draft him at all. The shuttle and 3cone times hurt me - whomever he hired for Combine training... wow. Either that or there is something to Tucker's slightly rounding out routes - sigh. Guys with slower shuttle times than Tucker like Jeudy, DHopkins, and DK can get away with it because of their height. Someone like Welker and Jules need their 4.01 and 3.92, respectively, to squirrel away. Great measure of lateral speed/acceleration/deceleration. Totally get why ZayF opted out though - can only hurt him. Some guys here need to do speedskating training or something.

Tucker: 4.49 shuttle, 7.07 3-cone 40 times all over the place (4.32-4.40) - wonder if he's still hurt from slight injury from Senior Bowl
Palmer: 4.26 shuttle, 7.13 3-cone, 9'6" Broad, 29.5" VJ - geez dude
Iosivas: 4.12 shuttle, 6.85 3-cone
CJones: 4.15 shuttle, 6.84 3-cone
TScott: 4.25 shuttle, 6.99 3-cone 40 times all over the place (4.32-4.39)

Curious to see where these guys end up.

Been hard for me to really find binkies in this draft for some reason and I haven't had much time this year to look outside the top 100. But guys I really like so far - Nolan Smith, Tucker Kraft, Jonathan Mingo, Clark Philips, Darnell Wright, Tyjae Spears. It's a pity that Philips is basically a slot guy given his size as we are stocked there. Absolute baller. I may add to this as I look into more guys.

I think there is a decent chance we draft one of Mingo and Kraft in particular.

Our draft was so bad, none of the binkies in this thread were drafted by the Pats. Typically there’s AT LEAST one or two that you guys mention. Our picks are in the unknown binkie thread.

I just wanna know what giant red flags Trey Palmer has (besides the obvious) that had him picked mid 6th. The Bucs traded a 2024 5th right in front of the Pats's 2nd 6th to pick him up. Sigh. Pretty excited about whom the Pats picked up, though.

I tend to leave off top 10 guys off my binkie list so that ruled out Gonzalez - and I left off Zay as it was too obvious. I was really hoping for Mingo in the 46-76 range. However Mapu has since become my binkie- if I'd known about him before the draft he probably would have made my list.

I tend to leave off top 10 guys off my binkie list so that ruled out Gonzalez - and I left off Zay as it was too obvious. I was really hoping for Mingo in the 46-76 range. However Mapu has since become my binkie- if I'd known about him before the draft he probably would have made my list.

Exactly. I was banging the drum for trading up for Gonzalez from the instant I saw his film, but I thought he'd go top 10 for sure. I was shocked when we had a shot at him--twice! The league is going to regret that.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back