PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

I would sign Lagarett Blount. Everyone is focusing on the passing league. Lets get back to pounding the ball.

Remember what trading Joe Montana did for the 49 er's or what trading Herschel did for the Cowboys.

Trade Tom Brady to Houston for 2014 1st, 2nd and 2015 1st.
(But Gesele has to stay, preferably at my place)

Trade Pic # 1 2014 to Cleveland for # 4 and 26. Let them get their pick of the QB litter.

Then wheel and deal picks to load up and stock up w/ OL, DL, TE, QB,WR. and other needs.

That would give us 3 1st Round, 2 2nd rounds and the rest of our pics to trade back or stay put and load up, and give us an extra 1 next year.

I know, I know who is going to be our QB? Who is going to be our QB if Brady gets hit by a car full of nuns this summer? Or gets hurt week one, then what?

I'm just trying to put more eggs in the basket to help us win and be more than one dimensional.

OK shoot away. :D

8952-27692.gif

:)

I would sign Lagarett Blount. Everyone is focusing on the passing league. Lets get back to pounding the ball.

Remember what trading Joe Montana did for the 49 er's or what trading Herschel did for the Cowboys.

Trade Pic # 1 2014 to Cleveland for # 4 and 26. Let them get their pick of the QB litter.

Then wheel and deal picks to load up and stock up w/ OL, DL, TE, QB,WR. and other needs.

That would give us 3 1st Round, 2 2nd rounds and the rest of our pics to trade back or stay put and load up, and give us an extra 1 next year.

I know, I know who is going to be our QB? Who is going to be our QB if Brady gets hit by a car full of nuns this summer? Or gets hurt week one, then what?

I'm just trying to put more eggs in the basket to help us win and be more than one dimensional.

Appreciate the different thinking, even if my reaction is the same as Manx' in the previous post.... Nonetheless, one important piece of information -- trading Brady will accelerate an additional $18.42M cap charge per Miguel's page. Not going to happen 1) when we only have $4M in cap space right now, and 2) ever.... :)

I would never trade Brady but for the sake of discussion, I will say if I ever considered it, I would not do it in this draft. There is not a QB in this draft that I would be all in to draft, actually there probably is not a QB I would favor to replace Brady over Ryan Mallett in this draft.

The most important position in the NFL is the QB second place is not even close. The reality is that Brady carried at best a 4-12 roster to a 12-4 record this past season and the AFC Championship game, you can load up with whatever you want but without Brady or a top QB to replace him you are the Cleveland Browns.

#29 to TB for #38, #69 and #143
#69 to STL for #75 and #153

#38 Stephon Tuitt DT/DE
#62 Troy Niklas TE
#75 Travis Swanson C
#93 Christian Kirksey LB
#130 Antone Exum CB/S
#140 Justin Ellis DT
#143 Brandon Coleman WR
#153 Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
#198 Matt Patchan T/G
#206 DeAndre Coleman DT
#244 Jacob Pedersen TE

#29 to TB for #38, #69 and #143
#69 to STL for #75 and #153

#38 Stephon Tuitt DT/DE
#62 Troy Niklas TE
#75 Travis Swanson C
#93 Christian Kirksey LB
#130 Antone Exum CB/S
#140 Justin Ellis DT
#143 Brandon Coleman WR
#153 Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
#198 Matt Patchan T/G
#206 DeAndre Coleman DT
#244 Jacob Pedersen TE

Go on people. Beat that!

2014 New England Patriots Mock Draft - 3/26/14 :D

Straight Up - No Screwing Around :eek:

Round 1 - Ryan Shazier, OLB - Ohio State (28)

Round 2 - Westin Richburg, OC - Colorado State (74)

Round 3 - Joel Bitonio, OG/OT - Nevada (96)

Round 4 - Caraun Reid, DT - Princeton (137) or Justin Ellis, DT - Louisiana Tech (156)

Round 4 Compensatory - Cody Latimer, WR - Indiana (166)

Round 6 - Marqueston Huff, FS - Wyoming (202)

Round 6 - Trey Millard, FB - Oklahoma (239) or Gator Hoskins, FB - Marshall (265)

Round 7 - Jake Murphy, TE - Utah (293)

Parenthesis - NFLDraftScout Overall Rankings dated 3/24/2014

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Note: Multiple selections depends on availability

Collegiate UDFAs (potential diamonds in the rough):

Ben Gardner, DE - Stanford (266)
Terrence Fede, DE - Marist (561)
Zach Kerr, DT - Delaware (305)
Lawrence Virgil, DT - Valdosta State (436)
Caleb Lavey, ILB - Oklahoma State (362)
Brock Coyle, ILB - Montana (427)
Anthony Hitchens, OLB - Iowa (325)
Xavius Boyd, OLB - Western Kentucky (374)
Jonathan Dowling, FS - Western Kentucky (284)
Brock Vereen, SS - Minnesota (336)
Brandon Dixon, CB - Northwest Missouri State (318)
Keith Reaser, CB - Florida Atlantic (345)

Unrestricted Free Agent Acquisitions:

Michael Hoomanawanui
Julian Edelman
Brandon LaFell
Will Svitek
Brandon Browner
Darrelle Revis

Salary Cap Casualties:

Isaac Sopoaga
Steve Gregory
Adrian Wilson (Seriously Bill, what are you waiting for?)

NFI List (to be "redshirted" for the 2014 NFL Season):

Trey Millard

I would never trade Brady but for the sake of discussion, I will say if I ever considered it, I would not do it in this draft. There is not a QB in this draft that I would be all in to draft, actually there probably is not a QB I would favor to replace Brady over Ryan Mallett in this draft.

The most important position in the NFL is the QB second place is not even close. The reality is that Brady carried at best a 4-12 roster to a 12-4 record this past season and the AFC Championship game, you can load up with whatever you want but without Brady or a top QB to replace him you are the Cleveland Browns.

Exactly. I see no reason why people are so eager to make these 'fantasy trades' that end up leaving us with no QB and sinking to the level of the Browns or the Bucs. Makes ZERO sense.

You don't hit the 'RESET' button when you've been to 3 straight AFCCGs and 1 Superbowl appearance within the last 3 years. Instead, you add more pieces to the team and try to get 'over the top' and win it all.

Quite possibly the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum.

Well, I hate it. But I respect the Disruptive Thinking. :thumb:

A few thoughts...

1 ~ The Joe Montana comparison is in some ways perfectly appropriate, because the situations are remarkably similar: Arguably one of the two best QuarterBacks to've ever played this Game, mid 30's, leading a Dynasty that was clearly still a young, elite Team poised to immediately compete for multiple Championships.

2 ~ But the Miners had an established Star in Steve Young.

3 ~ Ryan Mallett is not Steve Young.

I had not given any thought to the cap hit, that would obviously come into play.

My underlying concern and a concern that was eluded to is that the 49'ers had Steve Young when they traded Montana. WE DON'T!

Where are we if something happens to Brady, how do we overcome that? Is Mallett the man? Some think so saying we are going to get # 33 and other 2nd or even 3rd round pics.

So if Brady goes down is it easier to put your eggs in Mallett's basket or have a bunch of other good players to pick up the slack and be more than one dimensional.

You guys are right if we don't have a good QB we are nothing more than Cleveland or TB. I'm not hoping and I'm not trying to jinx Brady but if he goes down we are not as good as Cleveland.
We got lucky with Cassell when he played and what we got for him. I do not see that happening again.

using CBS sports draft board
Round 2 and 3 can go up 5 spots
Rounds 4 through 7 up 10 spots

38 Jace Amaro TE
69 Marcus Smith DE/OLB
75 Weston Richburg C
93 Charles Sims RB
130 Cameron Fleming T
140 Christian Jones ILB
143 Brandon Coleman WR
153 Jon Halapio G
198 Walt Aikens CB
206 Deandre Coleman DT
244 Larry Webster DE

UDFA
Tom Savage QB
Gator Hoskins FB/TE
Ben Gardner DE
Lorenzo Taliaferro RB
Cairo Santos K
Dexter McDougle CB
Jonathan Dowling FS
Glenn Carson ILB

Saw this mock on National Football Post. Yikes. Donald going 16th to Dallas and Hageman going 15th to Pitt. Can't see Pitt going DL after not hitting too well on Heyward or Ziggy Hood. They have us taking Ealy. Tuitt, Jernigan, Ford and Shazier are on the board at 29.

NFP Mock Draft 2.0 | National Football Post

I have a feeling Zach Martin will drop a little like DeCastro did to 24 a couple of years ago. Many thought DeCastro was a Top 10 pick. If we take Martin, and play him at RG. Sets up our OL pretty cheap. Slide Connelly to center. Re-up Svitek on the cheap. Can take a C later in draft. 6th round or so. Just a hunch.

- Trade pick #29 to the Jaguars for picks #39, #105, and #150
- Trade pick #39 to the Eagles for picks #54 and #86
- Trade pick #62 to the Rams for picks #75 and #110

- 54-Dominique Easley, DL
- 75-Weston Richburg, OL
- 86-Joel Bitonio, OL
- 93-C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE
- 105-Will Clarke, DL
- 110-Jordan Tripp, LB
- 130-Antonio Exum, DB
- 140-Cody Latimer, WR
- 150-Justin Ellis, DL
- 198-Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB
- 206-Colt Lyerla, TE
- 244-Gator Hoskins, FB

I had not given any thought to the cap hit, that would obviously come into play.

My underlying concern and a concern that was eluded to is that the 49'ers had Steve Young when they traded Montana. WE DON'T!

Where are we if something happens to Brady, how do we overcome that? Is Mallett the man? Some think so saying we are going to get # 33 and other 2nd or even 3rd round pics.

So if Brady goes down is it easier to put your eggs in Mallett's basket or have a bunch of other good players to pick up the slack and be more than one dimensional.

You guys are right if we don't have a good QB we are nothing more than Cleveland or TB. I'm not hoping and I'm not trying to jinx Brady but if he goes down we are not as good as Cleveland.
We got lucky with Cassell when he played and what we got for him. I do not see that happening again.

I'm not against trading Brady in the future if the Pats can get a significant yield for it and if they ensure that they are set in the immediate future. It just doesn't make sense this year. They just added some very significant pieces to get over the hump in the AFC and he's still one of the best quarterbacks in the league (possibly the GOAT). Why we would trade him this year when the team is built to win now is beyond me.

Fanspeak "On the clock" 4 rounds using Fanspeak Big board. If this were to play out exactly like below, I would be over the moon ecstatic:

OLB RYAN SHAZIER
OHIO STATE
TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
WASHINGTON
DT KELCY QUARLES
SOUTH CAROLINA
C MARCUS MARTIN
USC
CB ANTONE EXUM
VIRIGNIA TECH

Fanspeak "On the clock" 4 rounds using Fanspeak Big board. If this were to play out exactly like below, I would be over the moon ecstatic:

OLB RYAN SHAZIER
OHIO STATE
TE AUSTIN SEFERIAN-JENKINS
WASHINGTON
DT KELCY QUARLES
SOUTH CAROLINA
C MARCUS MARTIN
USC
CB ANTONE EXUM
VIRIGNIA TECH

That would be an incredible draft. Matching good prospects with positions of need.

One using first-pick:

Round 1 Pick 6 (ATL): Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo (A)
Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): David Yankey, OG, Stanford (A-)
Round 3 Pick 3 (OAK): Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss (A-)
Round 3 Pick 10 (NYG): Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas (B+)
Round 3 Pick 29: C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1 (HOU): Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana (C)
Round 4 Pick 13 (NYG): Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor (A-)
Round 4 Pick 30: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (B+)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Brent Urban, DE, Virginia (C+)
Round 5 Pick 12 (NYG): Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fla.) (C)
Round 6 Pick 22: Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State (A)
Round 6 Pick 30: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
Round 7 Pick 29: DeDe Lattimore, ILB, South Florida (C+)

One using first-pick:

Round 1 Pick 6 (ATL): Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo (A)
Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): David Yankey, OG, Stanford (A-)
Round 3 Pick 3 (OAK): Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss (A-)
Round 3 Pick 10 (NYG): Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas (B+)
Round 3 Pick 29: C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1 (HOU): Jordan Tripp, OLB, Montana (C)
Round 4 Pick 13 (NYG): Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor (A-)
Round 4 Pick 30: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (B+)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Brent Urban, DE, Virginia (C+)
Round 5 Pick 12 (NYG): Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fla.) (C)
Round 6 Pick 22: Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State (A)
Round 6 Pick 30: Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
Round 7 Pick 29: DeDe Lattimore, ILB, South Florida (C+)

I'm confused. Who are you picking for?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back