PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2004 Halloween shellacking in Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about that game this morning. I said last week against the Browns that we needed to lose to get things right. It seems like the offense has been sleep walking since opening night and riding the coattails of the defense. They will need to step up and make plays starting against Philly and the Texans.

Also, that 2004 team faced the following quarterbacks after getting blown out of the water vs Pittsburgh - Marc Bulger, Drew Bledsoe, Trent Green, Kyle Boller, Luke McCown, Carson Palmer/Jon Kitna, and AJ Feeley....until they faced a playoff team (the NYJ!) piloted by old Noodle Arm himself, Chad Pennington...then they wrapped up the 2004 campaign vs Ken Dorsey...there are NO similarities between the 2004 blowout and last night, none...next 4 quarterbacks are Wentz, Prescott, Watson, Mahomes....
In 2004 Marc Bulger was a top-10 QB
3,964 yards passing, completed 66% of his passes.

In 2004 Trent Green was 2nd with 4,591 yards passing.
He was a Pro Bowl QB the year prior, and year after.

Carson Palmer was a rookie in '04, but went to the Pro Bowl the next two seasons.

Pennington may have had a noodle arm but he was always very accurate.

Wentz ranks 16th in passer rating and his team is 5-4.

Watson ranks 12th in passing yards per game - and is winless against the Pats, throwing as many picks as TDs (plus 3 fumbles and 5 sacks).

Let's see how Mahomes is post-injury before rushing to judgement.

Also - when did the NFL become the equivalent of a one-on-one sport? Quarterback may be the most important position on the field, but at the same time winning in pro football is far more dependent on the team as a whole (as opposed to a single player) than any other sport. Marino vs Trent Dilfer, etc.

I hate Harbaugh, but the Ravens players have been really respectful of the Patriots. They played an excellent game and won. Will never forget the obnoxious incredibly disrespectful talk by the ‘04 Steelers and their fans, with the Patriots ending a historic winning streak and winning 2 of the last 3 SBs (at that time.). I’ll never hate a team and surrounding fan base as much as that team, and there will likely never be a sweeter revenge game than that total whipping at Heinz Field.

The only reason I wouldn’t wish to face the Ravens is Harbaugh. He is really coach, and he can match Xs and Os with the Patriots. I don’t feel this Ravens team is that great, but Harbaugh is one of the very few coaches who can stand up to BB and his staff with an aggressive game plan that attacks Pats weaknesses. As much as I loathe his personality, I’d probably take him second among best coaches. People are finally realizing just how bad Joe Flacco has always been, and the Ravens had like a 5-year run as serious SB contenders with below average Joe.

It's crazy how long this run has been in that almost anything that happens this year will have some parallel to a previous year.

If we're going down this route then that makes LAST Year even more impressive.

Everything from last year resembled seasons that ended poorly.

Couldn't win on the road - similar to 2009

Lost multiple games in December when they are usually at their best - similar to 2002

In 2004 Marc Bulger was a top-10 QB
3,964 yards passing, completed 66% of his passes.

In 2004 Trent Green was 2nd with 4,591 yards passing.
He was a Pro Bowl QB the year prior, and year after.

Carson Palmer was a rookie in '04, but went to the Pro Bowl the next two seasons.

Pennington may have had a noodle arm but he was always very accurate.

Wentz ranks 16th in passer rating and his team is 5-4.

Watson ranks 12th in passing yards per game - and is winless against the Pats, throwing as many picks as TDs (plus 3 fumbles and 5 sacks).

Let's see how Mahomes is post-injury before rushing to judgement.

Also - when did the NFL become the equivalent of a one-on-one sport? Quarterback may be the most important position on the field, but at the same time winning in pro football is far more dependent on the team as a whole (as opposed to a single player) than any other sport. Marino vs Trent Dilfer, etc.

Marino have wrecked Dilfer with his inside job combo, followed by his trademark uppercut.

Both Harbaugh brothers are GREAT coaches

it is irrelevant to compare a game from 15 years ago........there could be a similarity from 10,000 ft away, but completely different teams all the way around.

it was one game.......and it's over

Pretty similar to last night huh? NE riding a long winning streak, and absolutely blown out of the stadium by a hungrier team. The 2004 loss in Pittsburgh was worse and that 2004 Pats team may be the best Pats team ever. I remember that game like it was yesterday and NE did nothing right, the Steelers completely dominated them in all 3 phases. That team recovered and then blasted the Steelers on that very same Heinz Field in the AGCCG. Don’t judge this team by one bad game. They have issues, but if history has taught us anything, the Patriots usually figure it out when it really matters.

Yup, I remember that game. They got demolished in that game and people were saying they were in trouble. Next week they were going to St. Louis to play the Rams, who were playing well and coming off a bye and the Pats were all banged up.

Brady’s house was a lil smaller back then

God...the 2004-2005 AFC title game....unbelievable game....they really set the tone with the first bomb to Branch. Polamalu never knew what hit him.....

That was 14 years ago!!! 14!!!

2004 game was without Dillon and Branch, plus Law ended his season during that game. The former two absences definitely put the Pats at a disadvantage; Notice how huge they were in the rematch. Losing a guy like Law mid-game is always tough to overcome in an afternoon window.

Regards,
Chris

Matt Light also went out of that game with an injury. So, the Patriots went into that game without their best running back and wide receiver and then lost their best cornerback and left tackle during the game. That's a lot for any team to overcome in a road game against a good team. For the rematch in the playoffs, Branch, Light and Dillon were all back and the team had adjust for the loss of Law.

Considering the players missing for the regular season game and who was available for the playoffs game, it cracks me up that some Steelers fans are suspicious that the Patriots won the AFCCG. They ignore the players the Patriots had back from injury in the rematch and that New England was a 14-2 team. Meanwhile, they had no problem believing that a small school, rookie QB could come in for the second game of the year and then go undefeated for the rest of the year and win the Super Bowl.

Matt Light also went out of that game with an injury. So, the Patriots went into that game without their best running back and wide receiver and then lost their best cornerback and left tackle during the game. That's a lot for any team to overcome in a road game against a good team. For the rematch in the playoffs, Branch, Light and Dillon were all back and the team had adjust for the loss of Law.

Considering the players missing for the regular season game and who was available for the playoffs game, it cracks me up that some Steelers fans are suspicious that the Patriots won the AFCCG. They ignore the players the Patriots had back from injury in the rematch and that New England was a 14-2 team. Meanwhile, they had no problem believing that a small school, rookie QB could come in for the second game of the year and then go undefeated for the rest of the year and win the Super Bowl.
I remember Bethel Johnson doing an awful job trying to sell a fly pattern for a comeback route, which got jumped for a pick six. Dillon's absence got the bulk of the attention that day, but Branch's was worse, IMO.

Regards,
Chris

Marino have wrecked Dilfer with his inside job combo, followed by his trademark uppercut.
Dilfer's footwork would have him dancing circles around Marino let's be real

But honestly, this game was more like the 2012 game against San Fran. And you know who the OC was for that team?

But honestly, this game was more like the 2012 game against San Fran. And you know who the OC was for that team?

Some radio dudes were saying Roman had the Pats number. Really? Is that why his 49ers were essentially shut down, sans a terrible tackle, after getting out to a 28-0 lead? Ravens offense wasn't very good during the 2nd and 3rd quarters on Sunday. They were beneficiaries of a spent Pats D in the late 4th. Let's not forget the offsides penalty from the first drive either.

The odds of the Pats making all of those pee snap penalties again are slim.

The similarity is the Steelers in 04 and the Ravens last night threw their best punch. Now Bill knows how to coach them up the second time and the players have the experience of having seen it before so they'll react faster.

I would be shocked if the game plan isn't far superior and the execution is to match.

Some radio dudes were saying Roman had the Pats number. Really? Is that why his 49ers were essentially shut down, sans a terrible tackle, after getting out to a 28-0 lead? Ravens offense wasn't very good during the 2nd and 3rd quarters on Sunday. They were beneficiaries of a spent Pats D in the late 4th. Let's not forget the offsides penalty from the first drive either.

The odds of the Pats making all of those pee snap penalties again are slim.

Put your panties back on. Nobody is saying Roman has the Pats number.

What I would say is that Roman tends to do well with a mobile QB. The Ravens offense is starting to look very similar to the 49ers offense with Kap but better because Jackson is substantially better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes