PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thank you Bill

No. I said it was rare homegrown talent at WR.
he is basically the only starting caliber WR the team has developed in the last 4 years and was the most reliable guy and safety guy for your young qb, a chain mover for easy completions which mac badly needs. Someone who just gets open and get the job done, which is difficult for most of our WR

It’s funny to me how fans who choose to follow the team of their own accord, can’t wait to diminish the success, and feel the need to punish someone for the sin of not staying on top more than 20 years.

Of course changes need to be made. They have been since the all-in bubble burst in 2019. If you want to give examples of top trans who came back to earth and then we’re back in top again after turning over almost the entire roster, go ahead, I’m open to consider it, but I don’t see any. Look at how many players are left from 2018 or 2019. They basically had to build a team from scratch. When has that been done successfully?

I understand no one likes losing but down years are inevitable and the timeline shows how difficult getting from 2020 to today successfully really would be. It’s still a work in progress and I guarantee you it’s a lot closer than it looked the last 2 weeks. But Jones either needs to be coached up or coached out. He is the biggest problem right now. By far.
When have a I ever diminished our success before things really hit the fan and when to ****? These last two weeks have been really bad. It’s going to get worse if it’s another failure against Las Vegas. I don’t care about who is right or wrong. I want to be wrong and would love for us to go 10-7, but we aren’t going to have that record this year. Down years are fine, but total ineptness is not something anybody within that franchise should be fine with. I’m sure Belichick isn’t and wants to turn it around but until something changes, it won’t. I agree with you that Mac needs to be benched. We are going nowhere with him.

What serious talent was chased away?
Terrible question and one that will have you do 5 pages on the definitions of serious and chased if I give one of the many examples. No thanks.

All I can say is better too early than too late, just like Bill the GM wants for "his" players.

Nobody said that the other players and coaches had nothing to do with the Pats success. But when you look at Bill's 5-13 record before Brady took over and his below .500 record since, with no playoff success and 3 out of 4 losing seasons using the same players, it's pretty obvious that Bill was less of a factor than you want to believe. In fact, it's entirely possible when you look at the results that Bill the GM screwed Bill the HC much more than he helped him.

Bill himself has said it hundreds of times, it's a player's game. Unfortunately, Bill seems to be using a different standard when judging the players and it's clearly not working. And his penchant for dumping our best players lately hasn't helped one bit.

It's past time to let Bill go. Better too early than too late would be great but it's already too late. His damage has been done.

That’s exactly what he said.

I was on team "kraft would never fire bill mid season" BUT if the patriots lay another egg against the raiders and are not competitive, I think it might be over.

the season is basically a lost cause, and the only one bill has to blame is himself. Every other team in the league is having issues, and bill has not built this team to be competitive in the event of injury. The team is built Top heavy, and the players at the top are just Not good for the most part.

Like I'm seeing other teams trading for people van jefferson, claypool, etc. I wonder if bill even ****ing inquired to try and get a spark in the locker room, or if much like the patricia season, just going to go down with the ship.

Ok, even as I write BB’s obituary I still picking the Pats to win and hold out hope against hope that a miracle happens and they almost make the playoffs…

Welcome to being a fan :)

It's incredible watching you twist yourself into a pretzel trying to defend the indefensible.
Myers was rare in that he cost a fraction of what Bill gave to other, less effective WR's. Basically, he was a steal.
Thuney got enough from KC for him to leave and win a SB ring his first season there.
And don't forget Gronk and Brady, two GOAT players that Bill still hasn't come close to replacing in 4 years, in spite of numerous wasted draft picks and FA signings.
The Pats will probably be paying for Bill's mistakes for years to come.
Look 1960, you and I could discuss this and come to agreement on a number of things, but FCB is a moron, who was talking **** about the team the entire time Brady was here.

As far as it being a “ players league,” that’s partly true, you need a lot of really good players to win a Lombardi, but you also need a really good GM to bring them in, and a really good coaching staff to get the most out of them. And if it’s just a “ players league” then explain why so many great players have no tringd, 1, ring, and sometimes 2? Winning a Lombardi i is a really hard to do, and you need many pieces, but you often need some luck to do it as well.

how frustrating must this be for Belichick, being like 20 something games away from Shula's record and looking at a total disaster and potential restart

how frustrating must this be for Belichick, being like 20 something games away from Shula's record and looking at a total disaster and potential restart
He's got no one to blame but himself.

Ok, even as I write BB’s obituary I still picking the Pats to win and hold out hope against hope that a miracle happens and they almost make the playoffs…

Welcome to being a fan :)
There is a path to get there but as things look now we probably have a better shot winning the Powerball today

Great breakdown of the current (and past) state of the Pats by Hurley:

The "I want to coach guys I like" quote is eye-opening.
It’s not eye opening at all. He said it 10 years ago, off the cuff to jimmy Johnson on Super Bowl Sunday. Every coach thinks that.

That article is a joke.

Bills still a great coach. Problem is he is a bottom GM

Their drafting has improved the past couple of drafts, but his free agency moves have been pretty poor for the most part. However I think his biggest problem is one that all old coaches run into, the problem of getting the brightest up and coming young coaches on your staff, while at the same time your long term assistants are retiring. If you go back and look at the coaching staff Belichick assembled in Cleveland, before Modell pulled the rug out from under, it was loaded with great up and coming coaches and front office personnel, and he built a great staff when he started out in NE, but over the years they retire, and trying to replace them becomes more and more problematic. I’m not saying all of the Patriots assistant coaches suck, they have a few good ones, but they no longer have the continuity they had for years, or the creativity that you find with the young up and coming coaches. And if I’m looking for a reason that time is running out for Belichick then this is it. It eventually happens to all that last this long, and Belichick is no exception in that regard.

Their drafting has improved the past couple of drafts, but his free agency moves have been pretty poor for the most part. However I think his biggest problem is one that all old coaches run into, the problem of getting the brightest up and coming young coaches on your staff, while at the same time your long term assistants are retiring. If you go back and look at the coaching staff Belichick assembled in Cleveland, before Modell pulled the rug out from under, it was loaded with great up and coming coaches and front office personnel, and he built a great staff when he started out in NE, but over the years they retire, and trying to replace them becomes more and more problematic. I’m not saying all of the Patriots assistant coaches suck, they have a few good ones, but they no longer have the continuity they had for years, or the creativity that you find with the young up and coming coaches. And if I’m looking for a reason that time is running out for Belichick then this is it. It eventually happens to all that last this long, and Belichick is no exception in that regard.
The drafting hasn't been improving the last couple of drafts. He's left gaping holes in the o-line and other positions that have the team where it's at now.

The drafting hasn't been improving the last couple of drafts. He's left gaping holes in the o-line and other positions that have the team where it's at now.

You can’t fill every position in two drafts. The players they have chosen in the past couple of drafts are markedly better than this in the drafts preceding them.

You can’t fill every position in two drafts. The players they have chosen in the past couple of drafts are markedly better than this in the drafts preceding them.
12 of the 53 players were here prior to 2021.
41/53 was overturned in 2+ years.
That’s an awful lot of turnover and an awfully tough chance to all fit together into a top team.
Those 12 are:
Special teamers Cardona and Slater
Offense: Andrews
DL :Guy and Wise
LB : Bentley Uche Jennings
DB: Jon Jones, Bryant, Phillips, Dugger

So you tell me. If you hired a new HC/GM after the 2020 season and said here I’d what will be left by 2023, go build a champion are you hanging him in effigy 2 years and 5 games later?

I agree with the OP being grateful, and I also agree with the vast majority of the criticisms lobbed BB’s way late Brady era til now.

I just think the record of success while obviously lead by players (most notably you know who) is still so good it warrants more time and patience.

Only problem is, I pointed out end of the Brady era that Bill was already old af. He’s on the door step of the oldest to ever do it. Time wins every time. It’s a crazy demanding job. That’s why back then I said we should load up while we still had stronger versions of BOTH BB and TB12. Dead horse, I know.

For the age reason alone, even though I’d prefer to be patient and give BB more time, it might just make sense from a clock perspective to move on. Not necessarily because of the few year, single (prob safe to say failed) rebuild attempt. If he were a younger man, I’d gladly give him more time even though I’ve been thoroughly negative about “Bill the GM” since late Brady, and hated the Butler Super Bowl fiasco.

No one really wins w/o the great QB. Look how ‘good’ Sean Payton is w/o Brees. The Young / ARod succession stories are the anomalies. To think Bill would find the successor right away was unrealistic. That’s not to excuse all the bad moves that have been, but even if they were good, everyone knows you’re just a pretender w/o the right QB in place.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back