PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Ted Karras back in New England

BB went to his 1991 notes :)

Add 10lb to Karras (looks bigger and MIA have him at 314). Take them from Brown after he hits foxboro gyms & hills..

The QB description is Tom Brady to a tee. I’m not talking 2006+ Brady who would be (or should be) everyone’s QB prototype. But 2001-2005 still work-in-progress Brady met all of the characteristics he wanted.

A center High? Never seen a center go High in draft. We need a WR or QB at 15
Vikes selected Bradbury in the mid-first a couple of years ago.

Really? The 2020 line when healthy was definitely a plus, but I’m not sure if I’d call it elite. The 2011 line with Waters at RG was nasty, for example.

They ran well when they had absolutely no passing threat.

And Cam had all day to throw.

A center High? Never seen a center go High in draft. We need a WR or QB at 15

On average, at least one center per year goes in the first, and roughly two in the second, two in the third, etc. It doesn't hold every year, but it's not unusual. I agree 15 is a bit rich, but 46 is a distinct possibility, or a late-first with a trade-down.

A lot of bad snaps as well.
That really wasn't an issue for him after about the 4th game or so, IIRC.

Pats OL changes

LG Joe Thuney 6’5 308 to LG Michael Onwenu 6’3 350

C David Andrews 6’3 300 to C Ted Karras 6’4 305

RT Michael Onwenu 6’3 350 to RT Trent Brown 6’8 380

Throw in Izzo & Asiasi to Henry & Jonnu as well.

BB went to his 1991 notes :)

Add 10lb to Karras (looks bigger and MIA have him at 314). Take them from Brown after he hits foxboro gyms & hills..

Yeah I was about to say that Karras is at least 310+ now, whereas both Brown & Big Mike are lighter, maybe significantly so, than their listed weights above.

Any preferences?

Yes...Creed Humphrey, though I feel that #46 is too early for him...but #96 will be too late for him.

****erson's injury history scares the crap outta me; but if all 3 of Humphrey, Meinerz & Joshua Myers are gone by #96 and he isn't, then I would have to consider him there...

Green's a Day 3 guy, our one comp 4th pick seems about right...Same with Grambling St's David Moore.

The others - plus Trey Hill, Michael Menet & Ryan McCollum - are more late-round/UDFA guys, from where Bill found David Andrews...

Karras is bigger and stronger than Andrews. A decent backup plan in case we get outpriced for Andrews. If we can get Andrews on a reasonable deal then Karras just gives you that much better depth at C/G.

The OL was the worst I ever saw it in 2019 because of multiple injuries (4 of them).
The OL was the best I ever saw it in 2020.

I can't say I like this move.

I dont get how people who watched 2018 can claim that the inconsistent mess we had last year -- where several players were at points entirely clueless about who to block in pass pro -- was better.

Part of the reason we couldn't do any meaningful play action damage was the OL folding like a piece of paper at some of the most inopportune times. Well either that or some kind of dumb penalty -- including skill players -- eradicating gains and putting us behind schedule.

Is 2018 where the run game took us through the playoffs and to a title that long ago ?

2020 was slightly better than 2019 in terms of moving chairs but thats about it.

I dont get how people who watched 2018 can claim that the inconsistent mess we had last year -- where several players were at points entirely clueless about who to block in pass pro -- was better.

Part of the reason we couldn't do any meaningful play action damage was the OL folding like a piece of paper at some of the most inopportune times. Well either that or some kind of dumb penalty -- including skill players -- eradicating gains and putting us behind schedule.

Is 2018 where the run game took us through the playoffs and to a title that long ago ?

2020 was slightly better than 2019 in terms of moving chairs but thats about it.
Totally disagree.

I explained myself already. In prior years, we had Tom Brady and a threat of a passing attack.

Last year we had no threat whatsoever. Teams loaded up against us. And yet the OL blew open holes for the RBs. Look at the yardage gained.

Not to mention that Cam had all day to throw.

Last year we had no threat whatsoever. Teams loaded up against us. And yet the OL blew open holes for the RBs. Look at the yardage gained.

You are talking about the run game. I am talking about pass protection. Cam had a worse pressure rate last year than Brady in 2019 because they gave him often zero time to throw.

But I see that this yet another Brady related identity crises for some, so of course its pointless to talk about it.

It was pretty apparent that last year we were decent at run blocking but not great at pass protection

You are talking about the run game. I am talking about pass protection. Cam had a worse pressure rate last year than Brady in 2019 because they gave him often zero time to throw.

But I see that this yet another Brady related identity crises for some, so of course its pointless to talk about it.

I am a huge fan of Cam Newton as the starting QB at his current salary but Brady had small pressure rate with a worse line because teams knew he got rid of the ball quickly and Brady would throw the ball away before taking a sack. Brady was also much better calling out protections and calling for a run if need be.

Cam if he can looks to run and holds onto ball longer and that can lead to sacks.

Belichick is addressing these problems by getting more players that can get open quickly. The offensive line as of now is weakened compared to what Cam had last year but hopefully that can be addressed in the draft or via FA. I totally get Belichick not wanting to overpay Andrews when the Patriots have a history of picking up similar offensive linemen on the chaeap.

Cam wasn't last year but he can be a good starting NFL QB. And with the team the Patriots are building that may all the Patriots need him to be.

Outside of KC which has offensive line problems right now and a mediocre defense, there isn't a truly impressive team in the entire AFC.

You're pretty prickly here--you mentioned Brady, not me. I was talking about both passing and throwing, as all my previous posts show.

I don't go to the PFF site, I watch the game.

Brady threw the ball away before pressure got near him the prior year. Cam had days and days to throw.

We had 4 hurt lineman in 2019.

Nothing but healthy lineman in 2020.

If it's true that Marshall Newhouse, Elumenor, a hurt Mason and Karras are as good or better than Wynn, Andrews, Onwenu and a healthy Mason, someone should question what Belichick is doing. I don't believe that at all.

• Dolphins signed C Matt Skura, formerly of the Ravens, to a one-year contract.​

Skura had some wonky snaps in 2020 while coming off a torn ACL, MCL, and LCL but provides a band-aid fix for the Dolphins, who were looking to find their Ted Karras replacement. Miami's offensive line was a stone cold disaster last year particularly in run-blocking, and Skura has experience in a run-first offense. He'll look to upgrade the Dolphins' No. 25 rushing EPA offense.
    RELATED: SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
    Mar 18, 2021, 12:54 PM ET

I think good OL can generally absorb one injury, two if it's only for a game or two. Karras wasn't great in 2019, but he was only part of the problem. They also had to move on from Trent Brown, and their first round rookie was out for most of the year. Mason and Cannon were both dinged up, and (I think) missed some games themselves. Karras took over at the last minute, as Andrews went out during training camp, and I don't think they had the same OL together for consecutive games until very late in the season (at which point their skill position players were an equal or greater mess).

Karras at C with Wynn, Onwenu, Mason, and Brown all healthy for 16 games would be fine. But I don't expect that, which is why having a kid ready to step in would be a plus. Or bring back Andrews if his market isn't great, and let Karras backup all three IOL. Karras isn't the solution, but he's hardly THE problem either.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back