PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Matt LaCosse Opts Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Didn’t expect him to make the team regardless tbh. I think this is a decent little cap savings. With the sheer number of opt outs in NE compared to other teams I am left scratching my head a little bit. It seems clear Bill must be making it clear he values everyone’s safety or something.

This thread will be fun.

This guy is opting out before he gets cut.

Love to see soon-to-be-cut players exploiting this opt out clause. The NYJFL and owners are masters of exploiting agreements with bad faith.

I was reading on PFT that teams are worried that guys not likely to make the roster will start opting out to ensure a paycheque.

Could be the case here.

The Pats got a little better today

He and his wife are expecting a child in Nov

Still, this means that in SIX WEEKS against the Dolphins, one of these TE's will be lining up with only 3 weeks of padded practices:

a.) Asasai
b.) Keene
c.) Izzo
d.) Berry?
e.) Burt?

And we likely need to platoon Keene with Johnson.

Man...looks like we might roll with Izzo to block in week 1.

Addition by subtraction

This thread is asking for jokes.

Might be the worst TE I’ve ever seen.

Bill made him an offer to not play that he couldn't refuse, LaCosse Nostra...

Last edited:
I was reading on PFT that teams are worried that guys not likely to make the roster will start opting out to ensure a paycheque.

Could be the case here.

This doesn't make much sense because unless those players are in a high risk group they will have to pay those 150k back next year. It is an advance and not new money.

0-16 here we come. Lacosse was our best player after Brady (sarcasm).

Does this make lacosse the first player to opt out of playing football 2 years in a row?

Aside: not really calling out because I don’t remember who it was but last preseason there was a poster claiming lacosse should be counted as a WR and would end up being out #1 slot receiver.

Addition by subtraction

Unless the Pats sign a veteran like Delanie Walker you will now have to deal with Izzo making the team instead. I'd much rather would have had a healthy LaCosse.

Unless the Pats sign a veteran like Delanie Walker you will now have to deal with Izzo making the team instead. I'd much rather would have had a healthy LaCosse.
Izzo has more upside, cheaper & is a better blocker.

Jordan Reed still thinking about playing?

Could be the case here.
They would have to pay the money back next year. They don’t just get a free $150k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3