PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tankathon

Stupid NFL how can head to head not be the First tie breaker when the other Team already whooped you?? That rule needs to be changed!! :mad: :headscratch:
Yeah I was surprised when I saw Washington had the third spot over us. Yikes

Playing for playoff positioning is different than tanking for a draft pick. Anyway, I am pretty sure that was Cassell who started instead of Brady. The team was coached to win until the last play of the game.

I never said anything about tanking for a draft pick, in fact I have said repeatedly that players and coaches don’t tank for draft spots, because their performance and records are what get them paid. What I said is that there is nothing wrong with fans wanting their team to lose once they are out of the playoff race because they can get better players in the draft, and get back to contention faster, especially when you’re talking about a shot at the best QB’s in the draft. And I haven’t given anyone **** about rooting for them to win, because I have no problem with that. What I was responding to was another poster giving me **** because I want the higher pick instead of the win, because the higher pick might get them the QB they need, and the win doesn’t get us anything, except a lower draft pick. I had no Problem with Belichick having Brady throw the ball into the stands so they would lose and get Jacksonville at home in the playoffs, imo that was the right move, even though it cost them that game. In both instances I think the loss helps more than the win, so ultimately I think that’s the better outcome. Most fans root for a higher draft pick once their team is toast for that season, and other than a few holier than thou fans most don’t have any problem with that.

When they beat the Jete you mean. Bill wants to whoop on the Jete more than he wants a higher draft pick.

Unfortunately I think they will win the Jets game as well, which will completely screw their chance to get the best QB in the draft. But hey, there’s always next year, and without a QB they will most likely end up golfing in January. But at least they got the big win.

Unfortunately I think they will win the Jets game as well, which will completely screw their chance to get the best QB in the draft. But hey, there’s always next year, and without a QB they will most likely end up golfing in January. But at least they got the big win.
Yeah man, the more I think about this the more irritating it is. Completely MEANINGLESS win but lose a completely MEANINGFUL draft spot. SMH. I could care less about padding BB stats right now, I care more about this team competing at a high level again.

I never said anything about tanking for a draft pick, in fact I have said repeatedly that players and coaches don’t tank for draft spots, because their performance and records are what get them paid. What I said is that there is nothing wrong with fans wanting their team to lose once they are out of the playoff race because they can get better players in the draft, and get back to contention faster, especially when you’re talking about a shot at the best QB’s in the draft. And I haven’t given anyone **** about rooting for them to win, because I have no problem with that. What I was responding to was another poster giving me **** because I want the higher pick instead of the win, because the higher pick might get them the QB they need, and the win doesn’t get us anything, except a lower draft pick. I had no Problem with Belichick having Brady throw the ball into the stands so they would lose and get Jacksonville at home in the playoffs, imo that was the right move, even though it cost them that game. In both instances I think the loss helps more than the win, so ultimately I think that’s the better outcome. Most fans root for a higher draft pick once their team is toast for that season, and other than a few holier than thou fans most don’t have any problem with that.
Wow, I was only responding to your question about throwing the game.

Yeah I was surprised when I saw Washington had the third spot over us. Yikes
Yeah, I thought head to head counted against draft position with the winning team getting the later pick but NOPE. It's all strength of schedule based for the FIRST tie-breaker. The Pats are looking like they will end up with the 7th pick after beating the Jets. I said it before, with Bill the Patriots will remain in NFL Purgatory for quite some time. This was the absolute best shot to reset the QB room.

Chiefs loss actually just moved us a bit closer to Wash. Only .522 vs .520 SOS now.
Doesn't matter, the Pats are going to beat the Jets and end up with pick 7 (the experts say).

Doesn't matter, the Pats are going to beat the Jets and end up with pick 7 (the experts say).
I think there’s no doubt they beat the Jets. Barmore will wreak havoc with that Oline, and Osweiler will be the QB. That being said, if they wind up at 7, Daniels might still be available. I don’t think QBs go 1-2-3. Or if not, trade up.

I think there’s no doubt they beat the Jets. Barmore will wreak havoc with that Oline, and Osweiler will be the QB. That being said, if they wind up at 7, Daniels might still be available. I don’t think QBs go 1-2-3. Or if not, trade up.
7 is also prime territory for an OT or a weapon like Malik Nabors and Brock Bowers.

Yeah man, the more I think about this the more irritating it is. Completely MEANINGLESS win but lose a completely MEANINGFUL draft spot. SMH. I could care less about padding BB stats right now, I care more about this team competing at a high level again.

I never will understand this line of thinking. How is a win -- ANY win -- "meaningless"? The very nature of competition is to pursue victory. It's why they play the games and why we watch them with vested interest in who's playing. WINNING is an end unto itself, with its own rewards however often it occurs and regardless of playoff implications.

The draft is a sideshow and at best a roll-of-the-dice crapshoot. it happens during the offseason and promises nothing. You are trading the chance to enjoy what you can from the here and now for a scratch ticket four months away. You have no idea a draft slot at 4 will be any more "meaningful" than at 5, 6 or 7.

The reality of what we have now is a struggling team. But at least it's football and even losing has much to learn from. It sure beats living in a future fantasy populated by imaginary rookie "saviors." ;)

I never will understand this line of thinking. How is a win -- ANY win -- "meaningless"? The very nature of competition is to pursue victory. It's why they play the games and why we watch them with vested interest in who's playing. WINNING is an end unto itself, with its own rewards however often it occurs and regardless of playoff implications.

The draft is a sideshow and at best a roll-of-the-dice crapshoot. it happens during the offseason and promises nothing. You are trading the chance to enjoy what you can from the here and now for a scratch ticket four months away. You have no idea a draft slot at 4 will be any more "meaningful" than at 5, 6 or 7.

And let’s say the team builds off this. Zappe has two more 100+ rating games. Next thing you know, drafting a QB (who has a far better chance at being a bust than a franchise player) is less pressure and they can pick up a sure thing.

Maybe grab Alt.

Hypothetically committing to Zappe leads to a situation where they potentially draft a tackle and then go after a Tee Higgins.

But if Zappe craps the bed then they’ll know they’re going to need to draft the qb and pray they’re not a bust

The reality of what we have now is a struggling team. But at least it's football and even losing has much to learn from. It sure beats living in a future fantasy populated by imaginary rookie "saviors." ;)

I guess you don’t understand how losing to the Colts and getting Bledsoe was more meaningful than winning and getting Rick Mirer. Or how a Jets win cost them Trevor Lawrence and left them with 2nd pick and terrible options at QB. . And I guess you will never understand why Belichick had Brady throw the ball away so they could get Jacksonville in the playoffs. Sometimes a loss is better for your franchise than a win is, that’s why fans in every sport that has a draft root for their teams that are out of the playoffs to lose and get the better players for the coming seasons.

And let’s say the team builds off this. Zappe has two more 100+ rating games. Next thing you know, drafting a QB (who has a far better chance at being a bust than a franchise player) is less pressure and they can pick up a sure thing.

Maybe grab Alt.

Hypothetically committing to Zappe leads to a situation where they potentially draft a tackle and then go after a Tee Higgins.

But if Zappe craps the bed then they’ll know they’re going to need to draft the qb and pray they’re not a bust
Buffalo is fighting for their post season lives and cant lose. The Dolphins are the game 17 finale.

If Zappe can hang with Allen that would seal the deal making him legit in 24. Allen has scored 40 TDs again this season. I agree, the Pats will draft an impact OL or DL and possibly a LB @ pick 1. Judon will be 32 next season.

I respectfully disagree. There entire objective to be competitive, to have a team that can compete and possibly win a Championship. A meaningless win is just that, meaningless. What did beating DEN or PIT get you? Zero. Thats extremely short sighted thinking. I wouldn’t have nearly as much of an issue with winning these games if the talent on the offensive side of this team wasn’t so bad. It’s BAD to non existent. We NEEDED a higher draft pick to start repairing what your boy BB, the GM, did to this Team. We NEED some elite talent or at least a shot at some. Like I said, it’s extremely short sided not to think of the future of this team.

I respectfully disagree. There entire objective to be competitive, to have a team that can compete and possibly win a Championship. A meaningless win is just that, meaningless. What did beating DEN or PIT get you? Zero. Thats extremely short sighted thinking. I wouldn’t have nearly as much of an issue with winning these games if the talent on the offensive side of this team wasn’t so bad. It’s BAD to non existent. We NEEDED a higher draft pick to start repairing what your boy BB, the GM, did to this Team. We NEED some elite talent or at least a shot at some. Like I said, it’s extremely short sided not to think of the future of this team.
So you're saying if we all supported losing, the team would somehow lose for the sake of the next GM/Coach/Elite no-fail drafted players? Like we have super fan powers?

I'm kind of lost in your word salad, perhaps a fortune cookie would be clearer.

Matt Miller is saying Daniels has a chance to be drafted as the second QB off the board. Alt & Nabers are elite prospects. Alt’s been described as the best OT prospect since Sewell & Nabers is arguably the best WR prospect other than Harrison since Chase.

The pats are safe to get a blue chip prospect on offense as long as they pick in the top 6. It’ll be close.

Last edited:
I guess you don’t understand how losing to the Colts and getting Bledsoe was more meaningful than winning and getting Rick Mirer. Or how a Jets win cost them Trevor Lawrence and left them with 2nd pick and terrible options at QB. .

You don't know any of this. Seattle could have graded Mirer higher than Bledsoe and the Jete reportedly wanted McMilfson over Lawrence, regardless. The draft always has been and always will be nothing more than a crapshoot. Odds might be slightly better in the early rounds but pulling for your team to lose toward a roll of the dice is -- yes -- a pretty miserable pursuit.

And I guess you will never understand why Belichick had Brady throw the ball away so they could get Jacksonville in the playoffs.

I don't recall this ever happening. Please provide a link confirming (A) BB ordered Brady to throw a pass away to intentionally lose a game and (B) it was Brady who threw the pass. Regardless, it has nothing to do with your unfounded argument that losing games toward high draft picks guarantees subsequent success.

Sometimes a loss is better for your franchise than a win is, that’s why fans in every sport that has a draft root for their teams that are out of the playoffs to lose and get the better players for the coming seasons.

This has no basis in confirmed fact, it's just your hope because you quit being a fan once playoffs are out of reach. You've even admitted not watching games since the Patriots were eliminated -- that epitomizes being a fair-weather fan. So, what happens if New England drafts someone other than a quarterback next April, or a quarterback you don't like? Or if that quarterback gets hurt in training camp? Is it off to the golf course for you, not watching the games and pulling for more losses? Meanwhile, you miss out on special moments like the Denver game where you can enjoy a win and learn more about the team. That's pretty sad.

36 QBs were taken with a Top 5 pick in the last 25 NFL Drafts (1999-2023):
  • Zero won a Super Bowl for the team that drafted them
  • Two won a Super Bowl
  • Six played in a Super Bowl
  • 30 have not played in a Super Bowl

No the problem is we’re a 9 win team masquerading as a 4 win team. Things have a way of leveling out. Guys like Barmore and Zappe, coached by guys like Belichick, don’t stay down.

Fans put the cart before the horse fantasizing about a top 2 pick. The fans are the ones with the conflict of interest.
We are what we are. Almost all losing teams say they are better than their records, that for a play here and a play there we could have be 500 now etc etc. This is just how losing teams look. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig. Maybe they play better these few games, but we are 4-11 for an obvious reason.

Matt Miller is saying Daniels has a chance to be drafted as the second QB off the board. Alt & Nabers are elite prospects. Alt’s been described as the best OT prospect since Sewell & Nabers is arguably the best WR prospect other than Harrison since Chase.

The pats are safe to get a blue chip prospect on offense as long as they pick in the top 6. It’ll be close.

If the top 3 qbs are gone I would like to go for nabers wr LSU. We’ve been doing fine drafting tackles, really OL in general lower rd 1 and below. Grab nabers and a tackle with the 2nd pick - looking at somewhere around #37 . We can easily trade back into rd 1.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back