PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suppose Edelman had to play QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the Derby hypothesis but I would still prefer Edelman simply because I think Edelman could actually do a good job... no clue on Derby.

I see your point, but I respectfully disagree. Derby didn't really play that much at QB, he was a backup at Iowa and Oklahoma before being converted to TE, the only year he really played QB was one year at Coffeyville Community College. Conversely, Edelman was an excellent college QB, a starter for 3 years at Kent State.

However, the primary reason I would expect Edelman over Derby is that Edelman has a deep understanding of the Patriot Offense, a sky-high football IQ, and years of experience in that offense. Derby was on IR last year so his experience with the Patriot offense is very limited. IMHO, it is the same reason why we haven't even considered bringing in an emergency backup QB, because nobody could learn the offense fast enough to run it by Thursday.

Edelman may know the offense, but I don't think he could run it as a QB. He has to set pass protections, read the defense, know where to go with the ball, and make sharp accurate passes. I don't think he'd have a chance of doing those things and I'd worry about Watt breaking him in half. Whether it's him or Derby, the offense is going to have to entirely change and become very simple. I like Derby better because at 6'5" 255, he should be able to hold up better. He also isn't as important to the team if he does get hurt (sorry AJ, but it is what it is). They would have to go to something like a very basic college option run based offense with perhaps a few tricks.

:D:D

On a more serious note: I want NO parts of our dear Minitron @ QB for any stretch of time (except for the 2014 Divisional game against BAL...I'll take that lol)

Last edited:
Edelman may know the offense, but I don't think he could run it as a QB. He has to set pass protections, read the defense, know where to go with the ball, and make sharp accurate passes. I don't think he'd have a chance of doing those things and I'd worry about Watt breaking him in half. Whether it's him or Derby, the offense is going to have to entirely change and become very simple. I like Derby better because at 6'5" 255, he should be able to hold up better. He also isn't as important to the team if he does get hurt (sorry AJ, but it is what it is). They would have to go to something like a very basic college option run based offense with perhaps a few tricks.

I think Edelman already knows much about pass protections and reading the defense, that is why he is Edelman, i.e., our best WR. He is able to see things the way that Brady does. And, the fact that the game is tomorrow is key, Derby doesn't really know the offense in general, much less as a QB. It might be different if he had been taking snaps at QB for 8 weeks.

However, I think I will unconditionally surrender on this argument. ;) Although I remain convinced that Edelman would be a superior emergency QB to Derby (at least by the game tomorrow), I actually think it is a terrible idea, Edelman is just to valuable to the Patriots offense. He gets hit all the time, but as a QB it would be different types of hits, ones that he is not used to. I think as a QB Edelman's risk of injury would go up, and we just can't afford to lose him.

I am actually expecting a couple of special plays with Edelman at QB, regardless of how well Brissett plays.

I hope we don't see any with Derby at QB but that wouldn't be a stunner if he did, and BB might do it just to get it out there and give DCs something to think about.

I am actually expecting a couple of special plays with Edelman at QB, regardless of how well Brissett plays.

I hope we don't see any with Derby at QB but that wouldn't be a stunner if he did, and BB might do it just to get it out there and give DCs something to think about.

That would be interesting, maybe you are right.

Not much to gameplan for then if you're Houston.

he looks ready
SOByd3F.gif

How about this?

Derby takes the snap and hands off to Edelman for an end around.

Derby chip blocks a defender and then goes out for a pass.

Edelman stops and throws to another receiverDerby for a big gain, as Derby crushes a defender with a block?

I hope and trust that this is just idle speculation, but suppose Edelman DID have to QB, in a situation where going all run all the time didn't seem likely to win the game. What would happen?

My guesses start:
  • He's probably practiced enough to maintain good throwing mechanics. The one pass to Amendola is encouraging in that respect, although his footwork wasn't exactly standard.
  • BB and Josh McD probably have well-founded opinions as to what kind of situations Edelman would probably make good decisions in and which he wouldn't. Play-calling would be in line with those.
  • There wouldn't be a lot of designed runs. Those aren't in the playbook in general, so the rest of the team hasn't practiced them much. Besides, keeping Edelman healthy would seem important.
  • However, if the first down on the ground was there, he'd take it. So the defense would have to respect his rushing ability.

With the new NFL concussion protocol rules, I would not be surprised in the least if we see "scrub" players intentionally hit QBs around the league in the head, to force them off the field for concussion "evaluations". I think we will see it a few times this season, and if not addressed, it will become a common practice, much like flopping.

I don't think Houston would do this as its all former Pats coaches, but what is the fastest way to kill a teams offensive momentum? force them to punt after a good drive is stopped by taking out their QB for a snap or 2.

The reporting seems to suggest the backup is indeed Edelman.

I agree completely that the playbook would be very stripped-down.

So far as I can tell, Brissett is another Patriots backup QB who's pretty decent on the run (not a racial comment -- Cassell is high on my list, and of course there was the Tebow experiment). This reduces the likely of Edelman getting Wildcat-style snaps if Brissett is healthy.

If we go to QB 4, be it on the team or a FA QB signing (i.e., a guy who isn't good enough to be QB 3 on any of the 32 teams), I'm guessing that guy is doing nothing but handing off the ball.

But I'd love to see JE11 play quarterback, if for nothing but to expand his legend (QB, WR, KR, PR, DB). BB would eventually have to let him punt or attempt a field goal just to round out his resume. Plus it would be fun to watch.

For all those complaining about Edelman being too short to run the offense, might I remind everyone of Doug Flutie? Man did a great job in the NFL, and I can absolutely see Edelman, with his speed and acumen, running bootlegs right or left.

Heck, I'd do it a couple times just to see if Houston can handle it, and make them worryabout someother twist new England is going to throw their way.

The reporting seems to suggest the backup is indeed Edelman.

Maybe. I see JE11 as an absolute last resort. I can't imagine they'll make Jimmy inactive tomorrow night.

I agree completely that the playbook would be very stripped-down.

I'm not so sure about that. BB has already laid down the gauntlet (he also could be bluffing but BOB knows better). Hes said that JB has been here for months. Hes had the playbook since May. Hes been to every QB and offensive meeting. Hes been to every practice. Hes taken countless reps. Hes played a bunch in the preseason. Hes seen NFL game action. While the entire playbook certainly won't be at his disposal they will expect him to run the offense and not just hand the ball off.

On another note, he was exposed to the Perkins-Erhardt offense at Florida which was coached by Charlie Weis for a year.

TSo far as I can tell, Brissett is another Patriots backup QB who's pretty decent on the run (not a racial comment -- Cassell is high on my list, and of course there was the Tebow experiment). This reduces the likely of Edelman getting Wildcat-style snaps if Brissett is healthy.

It sucks that you need to proactively defend yourself from racial backlash that your comment on JB's mobility was not meant to be stereotypical towards black QBs. I hate our society sometimes....

JB is mobile, he can scramble and he can run. That is very helpful. I don't think at NCS he ever ran the Wildcat or read-option so it's not like he would be comfortable with it if it were installed this week. Keep in mind the line, WRs and RBs need to know what to do as well.

Imagine if Edelman lines up at QB... What other player in NFL history has played WR, PR, CB, and QB?
i wanted to say troy brown, but his only pass was off a lateral from bledsoe in the final game of the 1999 season against the ravens (it was incomplete):

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST