PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Superbowl Mic'd Up - Goff Comes Across as REALLY Passive

Status
Not open for further replies.
McVay was a cheerleader... surprising contrast with BB, who motivated players but also hammered home X's and O's.

McVay reminds me a lot of Pete Carroll. He needed to rip them a new one and instead was still complimenting Goff with a minute left. “You’re doing awesome, buddy!”

Just totally shocked about McVay, Goff, and Donald. I thought all three of them would be so much more interesting and layered.

As ALWAYS, Deion Sanders hit the nail on the head. Man, I love Deion, being the only one on that show that isn’t a huge Patriots hater. It’s so great how he’s all cool and relaxed, in a totally condecscending way, when he picks the Patriots while Sharpe and Tomlinson always pick against them. Deion said this game was too big for the Rams, citing these intangibles, he trusted the Patriots defense much more, and had little doubt the Pats would win comfortably. He clearly knew Goff was in way over his head.

Last edited:
Really surprised everyone is saying the Rams will be fine and should be a contender for years to come. I saw a badly exposed coach-QB problem, and a team that was built to win in 2018 by sacrificing numerous draft picks and pushing back big cap hits. They overpaid badly for a lot of players to compete this past season. They may be able to maneuver the cap for one more year while retaining their major players.

The KVN sack told me everything I need to know about Goff.

It was the kind of rush that is easily side stepped by most QB's, even Brady would have tried to slip it - it was a glancing blow and KVN almost missed - but Goff just surrendered himself and dropped to his knees, didn't even try to throw the ball away even though he was well outside of the pocket and there was no chance of an intentional grounding call.

McVay was telling him he was doing a great job with 4 min left in the game. Game was over before it began.
That was pretty funny. He lobbed up a pick to almost seal the game and McVay gives him a pat on the back and tells him he’s doing great. Not saying he should berate him I just found it a little odd.

Really surprised everyone is saying the Rams will be fine and should be a contender for years to come. I saw a badly exposed coach-QB problem, and a team that was built to win in 2018 by sacrificing numerous draft picks and pushing back big cap hits. They overpaid badly for a lot of players to compete this past season. They may be able to maneuver the cap for one more year while retaining their major players.

Yeah, they spent big on free agency to win now and fell short. They have to come to grips with the consequences of that AND they'll have to give Goff a huge payday, or else watch him walk to a desperate team that will overpay. ANY free agent QB who ever had a good regular season basically has unlimited value in the FA market no matter what their flaws.

That was pretty funny. He lobbed up a pick to almost seal the game and McVay gives him a pat on the back and tells him he’s doing great. Not saying he should berate him I just found it a little odd.

I have a feeling that Goff might have a mental breakdown right there.

So we’re in agreement that we finally got our tomato can Super Bowl where the other team didn’t bring their best? Outstanding defensive effort, but Goff completely barfed on himself, missed probably the easiest TD against the Pats this season (sailed ball to Cooks), and handed us the INT on a silver platter. Cooks failed to win two 50/50 TD balls that a $17M receiver should make (we already knew that would happen). So the Pats didn’t really get a dynasty exclamation point with a blowout, but they sure were given their first layup SB win in nine tries. There was no way the Rams were beating anyone with Goff playing like that.

I have a feeling that Goff might have a mental breakdown right there.
He seems to have a little Sanchez to him mentally. Soft and not mature enough to handle the pressure of being a big time NFL QB. Maybe it’s just because he’s young or maybe it’s his personality but I remeber watching that Hard Knocks/All or Nothing and I couldn’t help but think of Sanchez on HK.

Remember Goff under Fisher? Don't tell me McV can't coach the offense but he will need a good D Coor (like philips) until he becomes more seasoned.

McVay was really cringeworthy. I'm sure he is a good coach but on the sidelines...he reminded me of a poor mans Pete Carrol with the cheerleading.

I’m not sure he’s ever going to « make it » in terms of a perennial winner.

I also want to pump the breaks on Mahomes. Let’s see what he’s got for an encore. If he’s great, he’ll produce in 2019&2020... too often we crown too early.

Brakes.

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't think Goff was that bad, it was more the Pats D being great and having a game plan that McVay didn't expect. The whole conversation is different if Cooks comes down with that TD pass late in the 4th quarter, which Goff laid in there perfectly and should have been caught. Then it's 10-10, Gilmore's int never happens, and Goff is portrayed as a great battler.

I also think in a few years it's Goff not Mahomes that will be considered the best QB in the league.

I tend to agree. Goff needs better coaching. If he had it he could be great - he'd be formidable as a Houston Texan, for example.

McVay kept Goff in training wheels by doing his reads for him before the snap over the radio and not letting him audible most of the time. That got him a lot of improvement fast in the regular season compared to his rookie year under Fisher, but might have stunted his development compared to just letting him take his lumps early.

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't think Goff was that bad, it was more the Pats D being great and having a game plan that McVay didn't expect. The whole conversation is different if Cooks comes down with that TD pass late in the 4th quarter, which Goff laid in there perfectly and should have been caught. Then it's 10-10, Gilmore's int never happens, and Goff is portrayed as a great battler.

I also think in a few years it's Goff not Mahomes that will be considered the best QB in the league.
My screen is covered in late afternoon coffee. Keep it coming!

James White coming off the field after the 3rd and 10 draw that led to the missed Gostkowski FG: "Man, if that guy wasn't there.... Touchdown." It looked like a "give up" play to us, but it was close to working?

Someone reboot Donald! He's stuck in his startup routine!

Donald asks for a 1 on 1 all game. Gets it twice and is stoned. If he did as well with his chance as that Phillie DL whose name I can't even remember last year then maybe the Rams win.

Last edited:
NFL Mic'd up Super Bowl LIII Edition is on the NFL youtube channel, not the NFL Films channel.

McVay was telling him he was doing a great job with 4 min left in the game. Game was over before it began.
Seems like a sign that McVay feels the need inflate Goff’s confidence in order for him to perform. I think he just lacks confidence.

On the flip side, there are many introverted or mild-mannered personalities who end up playing like absolute beasts on the field. Gilmore is a decent example.

He’s 33 and that is incredibly young. Pederson wasn’t afraid of the BB mystique. McVay was in awe from the start. He’ll learn.
Not only that, but McVay and his little crew of attendants were leering at Brady during warmups and fluttering like teenage girls at a Justin Bieber show.

It was odd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore