PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Super Bowl XLIX Tonight On NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actual Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots-Seahawks Super Bowl XLIX to air Tuesday night on NBCSN, including interview with Malcolm Butler

Along with a glorious, happy ending, we can recharge the loathing of Chris Collinsworth and the entire sick collection of criminals who cooked up and implemented the DefameGate witch hunt.

#NeverForget

Sh*t, I haven't forgotten the crap the NFL pulled against the AFL before the merger.
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Greatest game ever played

Off-field drama:

-- Budding dynasty (Seahawks) vs old guard (Patriots)

-- Deflategate backdrop

-- Pats hadn't won since '04

-- Brady GOAT stakes

-- Personalities and names on both sides

On-field drama:

-- Game was close the whole time (biggest lead was 10 points)

-- Crazy end of first half with Seattle scoring a TD (and Chris Matthews potential as a folk hero if Seattle had won)

-- Chess match on multiple levels, most notably the decision to switch Browner to Matthews instead of Ryan

-- Two unbelievable drives by the Pats to score TDs in the fourth quarter; at that time the greatest fourth quarter comeback in Super Bowl history

-- Kearse insane catch that would probably have topped the Helmet Catch in lore if they had won (not to mention Butler's presence of mind to touch him down)

-- A crippled Hightower tackling Lynch to save the game

-- Belichick Jedi mind-tricking Carroll into calling a pass by not calling a timeout when everyone was screaming at their TVs to do so

-- Of course, Butler's interception, which is quite possibly the greatest play of all time

-- The fallout: Carroll's decision being widely panned, Seahawks dynasty being derailed and the team falling apart, first time Brady was ever generally acknowledged as the GOAT.

Patriots-Seahawks Super Bowl XLIX to air Tuesday night on NBCSN, including interview with Malcolm Butler

Along with a glorious, happy ending, we can recharge the loathing of Chris Collinsworth and the entire sick collection of criminals who cooked up and implemented the DefameGate witch hunt.

#NeverForget

Sh*t, I haven't forgotten the crap the NFL pulled against the AFL before the merger.
giphy-downsized-medium.gif
That was THE greatest play I’ve seen in my 61 years on earth!

How would you have felt had the Seahawks scored and won the game?

Pats would’ve had 3 straight SB loses and the 10 year plus drought continues. Fingers would be pointing as BB defense almost collapsed 3 straight SB’s on the opposing offenses final drive.

Seahawks win 2 straight and the first team to do that since 2003-2004 Pats. Seahawks dynasty is born.

The camera panned to Brady on the sideline after the Kearse catch and you see the defeat on his face. I can’t remember what exactly he says but something like “ I can’t believe this is happening again”.

Butler to the rescue. A game of inches.

How would you have felt had the Seahawks scored and won the game?

Pats would’ve had 3 straight SB loses and the 10 year plus drought continues. Fingers would be pointing as BB defense almost collapsed 3 straight SB’s on the opposing offenses final drove.

Seahawks win 2 straight and the first team to do that since 2003-2004 Pats. Seahawks dynasty is born.

The camera panned to Brady on the sideline after the Kearse catch and you see the defeat on his face. I can’t remember what exactly he says but something like “ I can’t believe this is happening again”.

Butler to the rescue. A game of inches.

“No titles since Spygate”

Game was so well played. I know some would take 28-3 and that was a great game. Everything had to go their way including two 2 pt conversions. Just excellent.

But to do what Brady did vs that Seattle defense was simply otherworldy and sometimes gets lost in the Butler interception. Seahwaks, Atlanta were goat performances. Philadelphia despite the loss was 500+ yards and missing key personal. Its right up there as overlooked because it was a loss.

it will be so weird to see Brady in a TB uni

That was THE greatest play I’ve seen in my 61 years on earth!
To this day, I'm still wondering how the heck Butler held onto that pick. Carroll gets lambasted for the call, but if Butler doesn't hold onto it after that violent collision with Lockette, the call becomes a footnote.

By comparison, Brady's ill-advised throw to Bennett before White's SB51-winning TD run is such a footnote. Beasley had a better chance of picking that pass off than Butler did his. But Josh and Bill escape scrutiny while Bevell and Carroll get buried in it.

Regards,
Chris

Malcom Butler pick the greatest play in Superbowl history. Literally changed the entire outcome. The biggest swing in win % ever.

Still think that loser sideline reporter, Michelle?, chasing after Malcolm through the scrum of the celebration was hysterical. She had to do some great jukes to keep on him.....

?: what happens rule-wise if Malcolm goes down in the end zone instead of coming out a few steps?

?: what happens rule-wise if Malcolm goes down in the end zone instead of coming out a few steps?

I think the catch was made out of the end zone. That would then be a safety.

This was the same Seahawks team that HUMILIATED Peyton Manning the year before, which added another layer to the game I think.

Love the mic'd up stuff showing both sides, the great leadership by both QBs. The competition intensity.. greatest SB..

Malcom Butler pick the greatest play in Superbowl history. Literally changed the entire outcome. The biggest swing in win % ever.

Considering everything involved, Butler's interception should have been ranked #1 when the league did their Top 100 Greatest Plays countdown. It was ranked 5th, but ahead of it were the Music City Miracle, Tyree's helmet catch, Dwight Clark's catch, and the Immaculate Reception. 3 of the top 4 didn't take place in a Super Bowl and, as impressive as Tyree's catch was, it didn't win the game. Even if Butler just knocked the ball away, Seattle would still have 2 downs to win the game.

I think the biggest reason for the order of the top 5 is that voters didn't want a recent play to be #1 with a dose of not wanting a positive play for the Patriots to be first mixed in.

Considering everything involved, Butler's interception should have been ranked #1 when the league did their Top 100 Greatest Plays countdown. It was ranked 5th, but ahead of it were the Music City Miracle, Tyree's helmet catch, Dwight Clark's catch, and the Immaculate Reception. 3 of the top 4 didn't take place in a Super Bowl and, as impressive as Tyree's catch was, it didn't win the game. Even if Butler just knocked the ball away, Seattle would still have 2 downs to win the game.

I think the biggest reason for the order of the top 5 is that voters didn't want a recent play to be #1 with a dose of not wanting a positive play for the Patriots to be first mixed in.

Also 49er and Steeler fans not liking Brady passing 4 Superbowls and getting his 5th.

The top 4 plays all have catchy nicknames to help them live in NFL lore. Don't discount marketing.

Regards,
Chris

I watched the whole thing. The interview with Butler added a lot. I have watched all 6 SB wins in the last few weeks. Some, multiple times, lol!

I hated the way they did the greatest plays. To me it was the most famous play list. You don't put the Butt Fumble or the Marshall wrong way TD that's a safety in there otherwise.

I'd also rank a lot of the plays that involved a ton of luck a lot lower, IE, immaculate reception, Tyree catch, Edelman catch......this isn't Giants sour grapes but the Manning to Manningham play is better than the Tyree catch from an execution standpoint and it's not even close. That was a picture perfect throw and catch. The Ryan to Julio throw and catch needs to make the list IMO and had the Falcons won that might be in the top ten.

So for me the top play has to be either Butler or the James Harrison return against the Cardinals. I loathe the Steelers but at his size that was just sensational and stands the test of time.

Also the Gronk catch vs the Broncos needs to be way higher. That's every bit as good as the OBJ catch and it was in traffic where he could get lit up. Also the one against the Colts where he runs over their entire defense before flipping into the end zone doesn't even make the list? Awful.

The top 4 plays all have catchy nicknames to help them live in NFL lore. Don't discount marketing.

Regards,
Chris

"The Butler Did It!" is right there but it never really caught on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down