Who will win the game outright?

• 49ers

Votes: 104 60.5%
  • Chiefs

Votes: 41 23.8%
  • RLKAG (don’t care)

Votes: 27 15.7%

• Total voters
Hopefully San Fran fans travel well. Will be interesting to see the ratio of fans at the SB.
I need to get this off my chest...the thing that bugs me so much is how the media are already running with the narrative that Mahomes is the GOAT if he wins the SB. How on earth is this possible ? That is an insult to everything Brady has accomplished . It took over a decade for people to consider Brady the GOAT over Montana, and now after two seasons suddenly Mahomes is the best thing since sliced bread !!!! This makes me angry and for that reason alone I cannot root for him and really hope the 49ers can win !

The 49ers have Baby Brady AND Baby Gronk so how can any Patriots fan not root for San Fran?

Having said that, it feels like KC is the team of destiny this year

If KC losses, can the entire board please refer to their QB as Pat Mahrino until/unless he later wins a Super Bowl?

The 49ers have Baby Brady AND Baby Gronk so how can any Patriots fan not root for San Fran?

Having said that, it feels like KC is the team of destiny this year

THERE IS NO TEAM OF DESTINY!

Everyone says this every year, about every team that wins a playoff game. KC has beaten up on two relatively weak teams. I think this game is very competitive, but team of destiny is as valid as tarot cards. Why wouldn’t SF be the team of destiny? Everything, and I mean everything, aligned for them to build this 2019 powerhouse.

If KC losses, can the entire board please refer to their QB as Pat Mahrino until/unless he later wins a Super Bowl?
The only way I see them losing is if Mahomes chokes and God, that would be great. Otherwise, that’s just not a good match-up for San Fran. Mahomes should tear right through all that zone.

49ers will try to shorten the game by running the ball which I think they will do effectively.

Dee Ford creates a late game turnover haunting Chiefs fans two consecutive years in a row and the team immediately regrets trading him.

The only way I see them losing is if Mahomes chokes and God, that would be great. Otherwise, that’s just not a good match-up for San Fran. Mahomes should tear right through all that zone.
Do you really think they will play zone? Ugh. It won't be close if they do. They can't play man with their personnel?

Do you really think they will play zone? Ugh. It won't be close if they do. They can't play man with their personnel?
They can but they only match up incrementally better IMO. They need the DL to get home quickly to stop KC. Either that, or Mahomes will need to choke. Short of that, Jimmy G will have to be up to the task of matching them score for score.

Mahomes is going to make plays regardless of if it’s man or zone if you don’t harass him.

now if you harass him he’s probably more likely making a miraculous play if it’s a zone.
Chiefs oline very good in pass protection so the Bosa needs to do his thing.

I don't have a dog in this fight. Have no idea who to root for.
Don't really have anything against either team. I like Mahomes. Not his fault the media fawns over him.
Got nothing against Jimmy G. Though he still looks shaky to me sometimes. A little pick-prone. Not sure I trust him to lead a game-winning drive yet even against a mediocre KC defense.
Tyreke Hill is a scumbag. But other than that,nothing to hate about KC.
If I had to bet, I'll take kc in a close game.
But I don't really care.
Have only watched bits and pieces of all the SBs Pats weren't in since 2001 and didn't watch any of most of them.
But I'll watch this from a football perspective. Some intriguing matchups.

49er D will see on the Tenn tape that Mahomes can and must be hit when he becomes a runner. He acts like he's stepping out of bounds and then steals extra yards knowing the defenders won't hit him, or in the middle of the field he waits an extra beat before sliding. He's not particularly fast or elusive, SF's rushers can all out-run him. They need to hunt him down like a RB, nail him hard and not be worried about the occasional late or OOB hit, as long as it's not a 3rd down play.

Last edited:
Also they need to key in on Mahomes' ability to buy time running sideways while lining up a deep throw after the db's have lost coverage. He's maybe the best I've ever seen at that. DB's have to stick an extra beat longer, and rushers have to close a beat faster when he rolls out. Don't try to block his pass, aim for the waist and tackle him.

I was skeptical of all the hype being heaped on Mahomes last year. 1 year is not enough time for the kind of praise he was getting.

Now...he's earned it. He plays with complete confidence and is surrounded by all-world weaponry and a great OL (that gets away with holding constantly, but that's another issue).

If SF plays their game, it should be a great one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see KC roll them. KC really is that good - they were under the radar with the rise of Baltimore and Mahomes getting hurt early on, but yeah ,they really are that good.

They played as bad a start as I've ever seen against the Texans, then scored touchdowns on 7 straight possessions. Houston got unnerved...Tennessee got unnerved...

What SF does have going for them is Kyle Shannahan, who is a great coach.

They can but they only match up incrementally better IMO. They need the DL to get home quickly to stop KC. Either that, or Mahomes will need to choke. Short of that, Jimmy G will have to be up to the task of matching them score for score.

That's exactly how I see it. Can JG handle it? We'll see.

If people are going to do the Jimmy second guessing, where’s the Philly firing Andy Reid second guessing?

If they can stop Henry, gotta think they can stop the Niners backs. I think Chiefs win as well.

If they can stop Henry, gotta think they can stop the Niners backs. I think Chiefs win as well.

Those running attacks could not be more different though. The Titans just went old school, you know what we’re doing, but can you stop us? Shanahan’s run concepts are designed to completely confuse a defense over time. It’s the same overarching concept to what the Rams employed last year but with much more versatility in Kittle and Juszczyk. These guys aren’t running at run cloggers in the middle of the line but cut and run outside sweeps. Any team in the NFL will struggle to stop that 49ers offense, and I think this Chiefs defense is going to come out with a second a-hole. I think the 49ers are a top-5 team of the decade and the Chiefs are a balls out great passing team but very one dimensional. I’m shocked by this point spread, honestly. The 49ers just came out of a much, much better conference, while the Chiefs got two tomato cans and fell to 24-0 and 17-7 deficits before Mahomes balled out. Chiefs remind me of the early 2010s Patriots. Lots of smoke and mirrors with a maybe average defense and running game, good but not great in the trenches...in reality if the passing game slows down they are a bad team that can’t you beat you.

There haven’t been a lot of SBs the Pats haven’t played in to be objective about, but this is the most confident I’ve been since Seattle-Denver that the oddsmakers are way off. I was confident Seattle would rout Denver despite being 3 point underdogs. (Liked Denver in 2015, so it wasn’t an anti-Manning wishful thinking thing.). I don’t think SF blows out KC like that, but I think they win with relative ease. I think Mahomes will have a good game, too, just not the absurdly Madden-esque performance he’d need to overcome all of SF’s advantages. I also said my all year my nightmare matchup is a Patriots-49ers Super Bowl (because 49ers are in another class and easily the best team in the league), so I’ve been consistent and not merely rooting against the Chiefs.

Hilarious seeing people bringing up LC stopping Tennessee run game translating to this game it won’t. Tennessee was smash mouth run run run with there best WR being a rookie and tannenhill at QB. SF run blocking scheme is elite and oh if KC sells out to stop the run how in the hell are they stopping Kittle/Sanders/Samuel. SF is putting up points and can keep mahomes off the field

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back