PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is this scout? What's his history?

Hopefully he does indeed become the second coming. Then Bill Polian can tell us how he graded Stidham as the #1 overall prospect in the draft.

The kid is promising and I am optimistic about him. But Christ can we pump the breaks. “Second coming”? Seriously?

I watched him make some good throws and plays in the preseason. I also saw him make some straight up boneheaded ones and a lack of ability to read the field. The kid has more potential than most all of our past rookie QBs but he has a ways to go and a lot to prove.

Going back and reading the pre-draft scouting reports is interesting. Many of them say he throws the best ball - in terms of release and accuracy - of the draft class. Was projected to be a first round pick in 2018 but stayed at Auburn for another year and had a bad season (his stats still look pretty good.). The Auburn coach was largely blamed for highly predictable play calling.

One analyst (can’t remember which one) claims that the top 3 QBs - Murray, Jones, Haskins - barely graded higher with most scouts than the next 3-4 (which included Stidham). So it was kind of bizarre how those three were top first round picks and the others were largely ignored until the mid rounds.

I'm totally on-board the Stidham train but geessh...tap those brakes a little.

Last edited:
Going back and reading the pre-draft scouting reports is interesting. Many of them say he throws the best ball - in terms of release and accuracy - of the draft class. Was projected to be a first round pick in 2018 but stayed at Auburn for another year and had a bad season (his stats still look pretty good.). The Auburn coach was largely blamed for highly predictable play calling.

One analyst (can’t remember which one) claims that the top 3 QBs - Murray, Jones, Haskins - barely graded higher with most scouts than the next 3-4 (which included Stidham). So it was kind of bizarre how those three were top first round picks and the others were largely ignored until the mid rounds.
Haskins 8.18
Murray 8.12
Lock 8.12
Grier 8.05 2nd Rd
Jones 8.00
Rypien 8.00
Stidham 7.20 3rd Rd

QB desperation.

Maybe we retain Brian Hoyer maybe we will not...

Imagine for a minute that our defense and our overall team is as talented as advertised
and we lock up home field early (13-1 or 12-2 or something like that) and we have the opportunity to start him late in the season.

(I know it is very early and there are a lot of "what ifs" that need to take place)

Just more proof that the Garoppolites were wrong.

Right now the kid looks like the best he can be is a Bob Griese that can run - I.E. 14-23 183 yds, 1 TD or a Brady circa 2001. Not so special until you consider on a wagon type team that might be good enough.

Maybe we retain Brian Hoyer maybe we will not...

Imagine for a minute that our defense and our overall team is as talented as advertised
and we lock up home field early (13-1 or 12-2 or something like that) and we have the opportunity to start him late in the season.

(I know it is very early and there are a lot of "what ifs" that need to take place)

I like the start of your post - get that home field. I can see the kid coming in in games that the Pats are up by more than 14 with 12 minutes left, but actually starting when TB is healthy< nuh unh.

Not getting carried away will wait another year. People said alot of good things about the Hammer Mallett and look at how he turned out. :rolleyes: Saw some good things from Stidham saw some bad things too. Wouldn't be surprised if they selected another QB next year. Stidham ain't no Jimmy G not yet anyway.

StudArm> Mallet already.

If we assume Tom will be healthy and play 16 games, Hoyer is not needed.

The problem is one can never assume a player will play 16 games.

With that said, as of right now which QB gives the NEP a better chance (God forbid) of winning games?

As good as JS has looked, it's still Hoyer b/c he's done it.

Stidham ain't no Jimmy G not yet anyway.

I agree that it is way too early to know anything other than JS looks to have lots of upside.

As for JG, if he can't stay on the field, he has no upside. It will be interesting to compare these two in five years time.

On the other hand, Tom may still be playing, so we may have to wait longer than that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe