PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Belichick interviewing for College Job

he's been pretty insulated in New England... does he even have a wide circle of friends and acquaintances outside of his fathers web that his agent could tap into to get him an interview?
Yea who knows.

BB screwed him in some ways without giving him the DC title.
The DC title would likely have gone to Mayo though, who was the one who was actually getting screwed out of the title.

Steve was a good play caller. Hopefully he keeps progressing up the ranks.

Curious to know if there have been any NFL teams he has been talking to. Typically those coaches bring in their own people.
Once Belichick was left out in the cold by the NFL, all of Bill's friends and family had to get off the gravy train. Fisch is a friend of Bill, so Steve has a secure job there. He'll be aight.

The only way for the Belichick boys to prove they are more than nepo hires -- and they were by definition nepo hires-- is to be successful without Dad.
Who really gives a ****? To them it's the family business. Kid probably knew more about X's and O's as a freshman in high school than 99% of this board.

Give me the kid who grew up in it and earned his chops the same way every other young coach did under his dad. How they got there is irrelevant what did they do with it?

Last edited:
Looks like Mayo is cleaning house, not uncommon when a new HC arrives. He also needed to get rid of the rats leaking stuff constantly to several media sources. I'm liking Mayo more and more. He's not messing around.

Who really gives a ****? To them it's the family business. Kid probably new more about X's and O's as a freshman in high school than 99% of this board.

Yeah, I haven't understood the nepotism-based criticism of Steve. It seems obvious he got the same very heavy does of Xs and Os as a kid that BB himself did from his father, and perhaps even moreso, since I'm not sure BB spent as much time around the Navy operation as Steve did around the Pats. He also seems super capable and highly intelligent. He's likely got a bright future in the NFL.

It's not like he was some loser eating doritos and playing PS5 who was forced to take a job on a silver platter or be kicked out of the basement.

Looks like Mayo is cleaning house, not uncommon when a new HC arrives. He also needed to get rid of the rats leaking stuff constantly to several media sources. I'm liking Mayo more and more. He's not messing around.

He said he'd be his own man. It looks true so far. I hope it eventually translates to wins.

rebrand or is it just awkward to be in New England? I expect Brian to leave as well...

It will be a huge plus if Mike Pellegrino stays... hes done really well with the CBs over the past few years, all things considered
You see people like Wade, Bryant and even Alex Austin contributing, and it's certainly an upgrade over whoever was advising Earthwind Moreland.

Yeah, I haven't understood the nepotism-based criticism of Steve. It seems obvious he got the same very heavy does of Xs and Os as a kid that BB himself did from his father, and perhaps even moreso, since I'm not sure BB spent as much time around the Navy operation as Steve did around the Pats. He also seems super capable and highly intelligent. He's likely got a bright future in the NFL.

It's not like he was some loser eating doritos and playing PS5 who was forced to take a job on a silver platter or be kicked out of the basement.
I'm honestly not seeing any interest in him from any NFL team. If there were any, this was the season to do it with all the changes in HCs and coaches around the league. Unless, Bill gets a HC job in '25, he may be permanently relegated to the college ranks.

Some way? In a big way. Unless Mayo was the DC.

He should have moved out of his shadow last year at the latest as the writing was on the wall.

Very few people would give him credit for someone of his experience (regardless of titles) as it all came under his father.

Who really gives a ****? To them it's the family business. Kid probably new more about X's and O's as a freshman in high school than 99% of this board.

Give me the kid who grew up in it and earned his chops the same way every other young coach did under his dad. How they got there is irrelevant what did they do with it?
Clearly the NFL thinks it's relevant.

Steve never was a conventional DC, he only did part of the job while Mayo did the rest. My sense is Steve and Mayo collaborated on game planning with Mayo presiding in the meeting room and Steve calling plays on game day.

Mike & Kyle Shanahan
Pete & Nate Carroll
Buddy & Rex and Rob Ryan
Andy & Brett Reid
Mike & Adam Zimmer
Norv & Scott Turner
John & grandson Sean McVay
Don & David and grandson Chris Shula
Marvin & Marcus Lewis
Lovie & Mikal Smith
Bill & Brian Callahan
Bum & Wade Phillips
Marty & Brian Schottenheimer
**** & Mike Nolan
Jim Mora Sr & Jim Mora Jr
etc etc

yeah, the nfl really looks down on the practice... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mayo offered both Steve and Brian Belichick the opportunity to stay on staff, according to reports. It's understandable they'd want to go elsewhere and not remain with the organization that fired their dad.

Based on what? He didn't get a DC gig this season? Well then obviously a **** ton of coaches are just nepo babies. Based on that criteria.

Again who gives a **** and why?

Overwhelmingly, the people whining about nepotism are typically jealous folks who are unpleased with their station in life.

Steve never was a conventional DC, he only did part of the job while Mayo did the rest. My sense is Steve and Mayo collaborated on game planning with Mayo presiding in the meeting room and Steve calling plays on game day.
good play caller... will be a net loss for the team if he leaves... but if he does go, the reason why is understandable

It may not have been Bill's decision. Phil Perry mentioned that Mayo was offered the DC title last offseason (probably by Kraft) to lure him back in addition to being the successor. Mayo declined it because if Bill was still the Coach, Mayo could only leave if he was hired elsewhere as a HC.

Mike & Kyle Shanahan
Pete & Nate Carroll
Buddy & Rex and Rob Ryan
Andy & Brett Reid
Mike & Adam Zimmer
Norv & Scott Turner
John & grandson Sean McVay
Don & David and grandson Chris Shula
Marvin & Marcus Lewis
Lovie & Mikal Smith
Bill & Brian Callahan
Bum & Wade Phillips
Marty & Brian Schottenheimer
**** & Mike Nolan
Jim Mora Sr & Jim Mora Jr
etc etc

yeah, the nfl really looks down on the practice... :rolleyes:
Oh there is plenty of nepotism in the NFL. But probably none of those spent their entire career playing for their father.

Nobody is going to take a risk and give Steve a DC job in the NFL; not until he proves himself on his own.

It may not have been Bill's decision. Phil Perry mentioned that Mayo was offered the DC title last offseason (probably by Kraft) to lure him back in addition to being the successor. Mayo declined it because if Bill was still the Coach, Mayo could only leave if he was hired elsewhere as a HC.
I don't think Kraft was offering titles... I do think he was offering cash & promises of future employment (the names successor clause) in order to get Mayo to stay... did basically the same thing with McDaniels a few years ago... and yes, I think McDaniels had the successor clause added to his deal after turning down the colts...

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back