PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stevan Ridley May Be Key Come Playoff Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see more of Ridley and more running in general, or at least the threat of it. Empty backfield on 3rd and 1 or 2 drives me nuts.

I'd like to see more of Ridley and more running in general, or at least the threat of it. Empty backfield on 3rd and 1 or 2 drives me nuts.

Especially in the red zone, but then again, it is what it is at this point, that is what this team and this league is pretty much turning into.

Numbers aside, I do care about making the offense unpredictable. The fact that BJGE is a non-factor in the passing game is a real drawback. Ridley has shown pretty good hands, and coming out of college he had a reputation for being active and effective in pass protection. I'm sure BB & co. have their reasons for limiting his snaps, but as a fan, I'm always happy to see his number on the field.

I don't totally disagree but the player's skill-set and ability is the determining factor for how they are used. If Ridley and Vereen show a good aptitude for the passing game and make plays, great. My point is that for this year I want to see Ridley pound the rock and run with authority and give defenses something to consider when approaching the LoC.

I think we'll still see a 'committee' approach going into the playoffs, but it was interesting to see him take the bulk of the snaps out of all the backs in this game, and it was interesting to see he was being used when we hurried the ball up too...all signs he is earning trust with the coaches.

I'm very eager to see how this kid develops, because we have some nice young players developing in this offense and it's a good outlook for the post Brady era.

There are still a few small issues though...the way he holds the ball (inside not outside), running upright, turning his back...little things but things that can cause issues with ball security and his own health. Gotta snap out of these or I guarantee his career will be short.

Has being cautious worked out for them in the playoffs recently?

well...you are going to have to explain that statement to me...you are implying the Patriots were cautious in the playoff game against the Jets? Give me SPECIFIC examples of this 'cautiousness'

Let's hope Pats have all 5 RB's healthy for the playoffs...each one brings something different to the running game....use Faulk for blocking and swing pass.....as soon as Ridley gets his blocking down opposing D's won't to automatically say the play is a run......

The good part about Ridley's running is...even tho defenses know it's a run, he's still breaking off good chunks of yardage.....his ability to bounce outside when middle is clogged is huge :rocker:

I was very excited to see him get the ball as often as he did against Miami. His running to the outside when the inside was blocked and his ability to break tackles were nice to see. I want to see him more involved in the last game as I really believe he`s our best option at RB going into the playoffs.

Let's hope Pats have all 5 RB's healthy for the playoffs...each one brings something different to the running game....use Faulk for blocking and swing pass.....as soon as Ridley gets his blocking down opposing D's won't to automatically say the play is a run......

The good part about Ridley's running is...even tho defenses know it's a run, he's still breaking off good chunks of yardage.....his ability to bounce outside when middle is clogged is huge :rocker:

In my unprofessional opinion that is what separates the plodders from the runners- the ability to turn the corner and avoid direct hits. By avoiding direct hits, as long as the Rb has good balance, they can continue moving forward.

As it pertains to this offense, my belief is that teams will try and clog the middle of the field with defenders (Lbs, etc) and make TB throw it to the perimeter. We saw the Jets do that last year with success.

I think with Gronk and AH's improved ability to find open spaces in the defense, that helps the passing game. However teams are still going to play the middle of the field. By having a guy like Ridley bounce to the outside that allows for a lot of real estate to be had at the 2nd level of the defense. In addition, with guys like Gronk and AH running patterns THEN shifting to downfield blocking, a big gain can be had in the running game for sure.

I just think it's so key that defenses respect the playmaking of the running game. Any additional hesitation or indecisiveness by the defense helps TB immeasurably in the passing game. Play-action, less DBs in the secondary...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back