PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

State of the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that the Jets game may reveal something about how bad (or good) the run-D really is. Especially if the pass-D stays on track now.

In aggregate stats, the Jets' ground game is #7 in the league through four games - KCY is #1 and HOU is #5. KCY has put up good-to-elite rushing yard totals every game, and HOU has put up very good numbers in all four of their games.

However, the Jets rushing performances have been: 38, 126, 103 & 256 (v JAX,the #32 run-D). And that 256 yards is inflated by two breakaway runs (69 & 75 yds). Without those two runs, the Jets are averaging only 3.7 ypa for the season. The Jets face the #7 run-D at CLE on Sunday, which should provide some idea of whether or not that 256 was a fluke.

Anyway, the Pats kept NOL, and HOU below their avg rushing yards per game, and Tampa came in at just 4 yards above their average (even with the return of the Muscle Hamster). The caveat here, of course, is that these teams may have been passing more and running less in order to take advantage of the Pats secondary.

Great post. And I loved the locker room vid.

I made the point about "happy BB" in his post-game presser (not even biting reporters' heads off when they ask about play calls).

Sometimes, though, I wonder if he might not go about seeking out adversity (blowing up a Super Bowl winning team) quite so much and just let it come to him. But what do I know? ;)

There's always a temptation to criticize BB. Usually the criticism for a NYFL team goes to the QB, but with TB12 that falls to the HC, even one as great as BB. Who in their right mind could find fault with Brady?;)

As for Belichick, if I could question him about anything it would be the 4th and 2 call at Indy.

I think you're definitely picking up on something here. I'm starting to think there was a bit of a Super Bowl hangover (I mean, it was the greatest comeback of all time), but the Carolina defensive debacle embarrassed them, and BB was able to use that embarrassment to start to make his players "hungry" again. Hard to translate that into a big improvement in 3 days, but there was definite improvement. They built needed camaraderie and chemistry on Thursday with the win coming together like that on the short week, and I expect that it'll start a very positive upward trend for the team. They're by no means perfect, but they certainly do have the talent to go 9-2 the rest of the way and win the division and maybe even a top seed.
Dating myself here but this reminds me of the '76 Steelers. They won the previous two Super Bowls and started the next season ('76) 1-4 before turning things around ( 28 points allowed over 9 games). I'm not saying the defense will turn into the '85 Bears but the 28-3 comeback may have led to a hell of a hangover......If they can right the ship the next two weeks, things will look better. As of today I am not optimistic that a motivated Falcons teams won't come into Foxboro and blow the doors off... but before that, we have a Jets team that apparently didn't get the tanking memo.....
5-2 would be great but I fear they will be 4-3 looking at a stretch of Pitt/@Oak/MexCity and @Den...

What I really like about the guys' quotes in post 1 is that it makes me confident that this is NOT the 2009 team.

You've got to be kidding me, I know exactly where that place is.... And more importantly, I was in the barber shop *across the street* this morning....... Would have been cool to have talked to him.

To the OP- nice post, ld, I agree 100%.

There were 2 things that stood out to me more than any other about both 2014 & 2016:
1. They were both incredibly tough, both physically and mentally,
2. They were both extremely physical teams on both offense and defense.

Most of the same players are still on the team. I see the same traits with this team ESPECIALLY in the bucs game.

I believe that bodes very well for the season.

I will add, it's very hard for me to rank my favorite teams all time, but 2014 and 2016 are my 2 favorite all time Pats teams.

The trip to rainforest cafe mustve really helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST