10716 yards
19.3 yds per reception
72 TDs

Cliff Branch
501 receptions
8685 yards
17.3 yds per reception
67 TDs

Now, I know people knock Stanley because they say he didn't play on great teams, but he did play on the 85 Patriots that went to the Super Bowl as well as the 78 Patriots. Here's a fact that might shock everyone: in Morgan's first 12 years with the Patriots, the team had only ONE losing season. Those years are often described as bleak, but in retrospect, 1 losing season out of 12 isn't bad.

Last edited:
Stanley Morgan
557 receptions
10716 yards
19.3 yds per reception
72 TDs

Cliff Branch
501 receptions
8685 yards
17.3 yds per reception
67 TDs

Now, I know people knock Stanley because they say he didn't play on great teams, but he did play on the 85 Patriots that went to the Super Bowl as well as the 78 Patriots. Here's a fact that might shock everyone: in Morgan's first 12 years with the Patriots, the team had only ONE losing season. Those years are often described as bleak, but in retrospect, 1 losing season out of 12 isn't bad.
The only real argument I see toward those stats is that Morgan was 5 years younger and that 5 years did make a difference in how much more the passing game was favored and the rules made it easier for passing, so there is a little curve. But for my money Morgan deserves to be in before Branch. Was Branch a veterans committee guy who’s time was expiring? Not even sure how that part works with NFL HOF

Only difference is Cliff is a 3X SB champion and had the opportunities in the playoffs to showcase his talents on a national stage.

Both great players who would absolutely kick ass in any era.

I agree with what Mr. Weathers said.

As fondly as fans look back on Steve Grogan, he wasn't an accurate passer. Morgan's best season ('86) happened with Tony Eason mostly under center. Morgan sits at 10th all-time with 19.2 yards per reception, a category in which he led the NFL three times. 4x pro bowler, 2x second team all-pro. Never won a Super Bowl and he only played in 7 postseason games, his best game there coming in a loss.

Branch was a 3x first team all-pro and has 3 SB rings. He played in 20 postseason games with good production overall. The postseasons got him in the HOF ahead of Morgan.

Both would be prolific receivers in today's NFL.

Only difference is Cliff is a 3X SB champion and had the opportunities in the playoffs to showcase his talents on a national stage.

This.

Branch's postseason stats: 73 catches, 1289 yds, 17.7, 5 TD's 72 longest, 3 rings.
Morgan's postseason stats: 18 catches, 302 yds, 16.8, 3 TD's, 45 longest, 0 rings.

Love me the Steamer... but Branch has the edge.

As fondly as fans look back on Steve Grogan, he wasn't an accurate passer. Morgan's best season ('86) happened with Tony Eason mostly under center.
Agree...Tony Eason had talent and excellent in the passing game

This.

Branch's postseason stats: 73 catches, 1289 yds, 17.7, 5 TD's 72 longest, 3 rings.
Morgan's postseason stats: 18 catches, 302 yds, 16.8, 3 TD's, 45 longest, 0 rings.

And yet the tables have turned as we see few modern day Patriots talked about as HOF or who even have their playoff stats considered, while Tony Boselli of the woeful Jags gets in (deservedly).

Tony Eason carried the 86 team. He was excellent that year.

Overall career not so much.
Really his only good season. 84 was ok, everything else blah and full of injuries.

Branch's postseason stats: 22 Games 73 catches, 1289 yds, 17.7, 5 TD's 72 longest, 3 rings.

Edelmans - 19 games, 118 catches, 1,422 yards, 7 TDs. 3 rings and an MVP

Branch career 183 games
Cliff Branch
501 receptions 2.7 per game
8685 yards 47 per game
17.3 yds per reception
67 TDs .366 per game

Edelman - 137 Games
620 receptions
6822 yards 49.8 per game
11 YPR
36 TD .26 per game

This just shows how good Branch was. Played in an era with less offense and when D could grab and hold receivers.

Really his only good season. 84 was ok, everything else blah and full of injuries.
Jesus he was sacked 59 times in 1984. Once every ~7 dropbacks......

This.

Those stats mean little unless you can show that every member of the Hall of Fame was productive in multiple Super Bowls, or before that, NFL championships. In fact, the Hall is full of players who never got to showcase their talent in the big game or, if they did, only once. If you apply that logic to baseball, Ted Williams should not be in the Hall of Fame.

This.

the only thing i would add to frame is this is the number of playoff games... 22 playoff games for branch, 7 for Morgan... Except for yards, the other numbers just dont stand out...

Here's a fact that might shock everyone:
I've been repeating this forever
in Morgan's first 12 years with the Patriots, the team had only ONE losing season. Those years are often described as bleak, but in retrospect, 1 losing season out of 12 isn't bad.
If you include '76, that's one losing season in 13 years.
A 2X legitimate SB champion (Thank you, Jim Plunkett).

Steamer would have had more chances in the playoffs with Grogan and Flutie.
This.

Alex Karras - 1 playoff game
**** Butkus & Gale Sayers - 0 playoff games
Gino Cappelletti & Houston Antwine - 2 playoff games

Morgan makes a legit case. He may have been the best deep threat of his era.

But we should be consistent. There's a strong contingent of Patriots fans that think Edelman belongs in the hall. I am among them. Clearly Edelman does not stack up against a DeAndre Hopkins or a Julio Jones, but his essential role as part of a multi-time champion pushes him over the top.

Is this not the same difference between Morgan and Branch?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back