PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stallworth's Nostalgic '07 memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throughout my 40+ years as a Patriots fan I've been stunned, amazed, cruelly disappointed, ecstatic. But 2007 - that entire run to 16-0 left me laughing uncontrollably like no comedian has been able to. Every single week there was at least one circus catch by Moss - so much that we gloss over some of the other great catches (the bullet to Stallworth on the sideline vs Washington iirc.)

If I had to compare - Brady to Moss was amazing as Larry Bird and his trash talking. You knew what was coming - hell, they'd tell you straight out. And you couldn't stop it - only hope to slow it down.

I well remember that game. My daughter sent me a ticket to that game as a gift. Seat on the 50 yard line, 12 rows back from the field, right behind the Patriot's bench. So on Saturday afternoon I jumped on a plane from Pensacola to Miami, stayed at an inexpensive Howard Johnson hotel, and got a taxi to the stadium the next morning. The tail gate area was quite amazing and the Dolphin fans, even though they knew their team had no chance, were very gracious.

The stadium was very nice, very colorful, and very, very hot! If memory serves, Lemon was the Dolphins QB. He was not just bad, but was at risk of surviving the Patriots defense that day.

As for Brady's throw and Moss's catch while double teamed in the end zone, it was truly magical.

I've been a Patriots fan since they chose Ger Schwedes and Ron Burton for the first Patriots team, and in all that time I have never seen a catch as magnificent as that which I witnessed that day. Although Edelman's catch in the Super Bowl was on par, but that catch was viewed via television. Seeing it live far exceeds the experience of seeing it on TV while sitting on the couch.

Remember that game well. My wife and I were in South Beach on a second honeymoon. We went to this game. It *was* hot. The game was like watching the varsity against the Junior high.

Remember that game well. My wife and I were in South Beach on a second honeymoon. We went to this game. It *was* hot. The game was like watching the varsity against the Junior high.
I remember that game vividly, as well. I watched the game at a condo I was renting in Ft. Myers Beach. My sister and her husband, who's in the End Zone Militia, were at the game dressed in NE gear sitting among loads of Dolphins fans and called me after the game with a couple of good items. They told me that, at one point during the Brady/Moss show, a Dolphin fan turned to them, shook his head in admiration and said," This isn't even fair.". Then, after the game as they were filing out of their seats, another Dolphin fan said to them, "Well, at least we don't cheat!" My smart-ass sister immediately retorted to him, "Take a look at the scoreboard. If I were you, I'd be rooting for my team to start considering it..."

3 catches stand out to me:

1. The first bomb of the year in game 1 against the Jets. He out ran 3 Jets crossing the field, caught it at the hash and trotted the 5 yards into the endzone. That's when I thought, 'holy sh*t, could he really be Moss again?!'

2. The bomb in Miami with 2 defenders hanging off his arms. The jaw dropping talent to be able to 1 hand a 50yd bomb against your body while in double coverage. Proof that Moss was a video game with cheat mode turned on.

3. (yeah, technically it's 2009)...the 1 handed pick over the top of a prime Revis. The athleticism to beat Prime Revis on a go route up the gut then to reach out and somehow pick that ball out of the air 1 handed, amazing. No trickery there, just pure athlete...simply out ran Revis in a straight line and made a grab only he could.

1. The first bomb of the year in game 1 against the Jets. He out ran 3 Jets crossing the field, caught it at the hash and trotted the 5 yards into the endzone. That's when I thought, 'holy sh*t, could he really be Moss again?!'

2. The bomb in Miami with 2 defenders hanging off his arms. The jaw dropping talent to be able to 1 hand a 50yd bomb against your body while in double coverage. Proof that Moss was a video game with cheat mode turned on.

3. (yeah, technically it's 2009)...the 1 handed pick over the top of a prime Revis. The athleticism to beat Prime Revis on a go route up the gut then to reach out and somehow pick that ball out of the air 1 handed, amazing. No trickery there, just pure athlete...simply out ran Revis in a straight line and made a grab only he could.

#3 was actually 2010, which is meaningful because that was just 2 weeks before he got 0 catches in Miami and complained his way out of New England. Was pretty much his last highlight as a Patriot.

I loved all of those catches, but my actual favorite is the one-handed "curl" catch against the Colts in '07. That was a crucial pickup to keep the team in the game during their first unexpected bout with adversity that entire season. Moss never goes over the middle but he became Spiderman in that moment. Just amazing.

#3 was actually 2010, which is meaningful because that was just 2 weeks before he got 0 catches in Miami and complained his way out of New England. Was pretty much his last highlight as a Patriot.
Revis also left the game after that. At that point in their respective careers, Revis had owned Moss. It's doubtful that catch happens had Revis been healthy.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
In the end, it looked like 16-0 was more of a burder than a success. Looked like a team mentally spent.

After the Jax game, I no longer thought they were unbeatable. After SD I felt something was " Off". Then I said to myself after SB 42 first quarter: " They may very well lose this game".

I truly believe they win the SB if they had lost to Baltimore on Monday night. Or lost the last game to the Giants. I know that sounds weird.

Nonetheless, SB 42 stings less and less with every SB win. If they win SB 52, I believe it will be a ( If it isn't already) small footnote in team history.

Just like Bucker, Boone, Dent hurt less after the Red Sox won three titles.

Bruins coughing up a 3-0 series lead hurt less after 2011.

Interesting with the 19-0 talk again, Brady & Gostkowski are the only players from the 2007 team still around.

************, that was a quick 10 years...

Revis also left the game after that. At that point in their respective careers, Revis had owned Moss. It's doubtful that catch happens had Revis been healthy.
No, Moss flat-out beat him and Revis "apparently" pulled his hamstring on that play trying to catch up. People speculated whether Revis was embellishing the injury because he got thoroughly embarrassed by Randy.

Interesting with the 19-0 talk again, Brady & Gostkowski are the only players from the 2007 team still around.

************, that was a quick 10 years...

Can you imagine if they beat the Giants to cement the first 19- 0 season? Everything would be right in the world.

No, Moss flat-out beat him and Revis "apparently" pulled his hamstring on that play trying to catch up. People speculated whether Revis was embellishing the injury because he got thoroughly embarrassed by Randy.
Yeah the MRI post-game showed a hamstring strain and he was uncertain for the following game. Further, it was very public in the week leading up to Pats/Jets that Revis was complaining about tightness in that hamstring but still insisted on playing on Sunday. At what point, leading up to that game, had Randy thoroughly embarrassed Revis since 2008? He had been owned. Revis came up lame, which was obvious watching the film and was seen on an MRI, and was beat. That's the only reason that catch happened because, outside of that, Revis had dominated Moss physically at that point in their careers. That said, that was not Moss anywhere near his prime, either.

God that 07 team was so fun, even though it ended terribly.

Coming off the devastating 06 AFCC, picking up WW and DS then trading for a malcontent "over the hill" Moss.. Guys like Jabar Gaffney making great contributions and crucial plays.. Junior Seau doing everything he could to help.. Finding ways to win week after week, the Ravens game.. Week 16 giants game.. Brady rainbow to Moss for #50.

Yea it ended poorly, but given everything that's happened its pretty amazing to look back on, and an interesting part of Patriots history.

Yeah the MRI post-game showed a hamstring strain and he was uncertain for the following game. Further, it was very public in the week leading up to Pats/Jets that Revis was complaining about tightness in that hamstring but still insisted on playing on Sunday. At what point, leading up to that game, had Randy thoroughly embarrassed Revis since 2008? He had been owned. Revis came up lame, which was obvious watching the film and was seen on an MRI, and was beat. That's the only reason that catch happened because, outside of that, Revis had dominated Moss physically at that point in their careers. That said, that was not Moss anywhere near his prime, either.
I was at that game. Revis grabbed his hammy AFTER Moss made the catch. "See, fans? He beat me because I'm injured!" I'm not saying Revis didn't usually get the best of Moss, but Randy got inside leverage and beat him on that play.

I was at that game. Revis grabbed his hammy AFTER Moss made the catch. "See, fans? He beat me because I'm injured!" I'm not saying Revis didn't usually get the best of Moss, but Randy got inside leverage and beat him on that play.
Tune, Revis was complaining about the hamstring all week leading up to the game, was limited in practice the following week, and his availability in the following game was in question. Unless you think he was setting himself up to save face on that one play in the week leading up to the game (and I don't know why he would do that since, as even you admit, he usually got the best of Moss at that point), it doesn't make sense to outright ignore the fact that he came in to the contest with a tweaked hammy. The MRI afterward backed that up. And yes, people typically grab the injured body part after they pull up lame. In other news, water is wet. When the two were healthy, Moss routinely got *****-made by Revis in every facet. That's hardly a slight. Moss was no longer in his prime and Revis, one of the best man CBs ever to play the game, was.

EDIT: And, also, Moss hit him with a double move. Revis' sudden change in direction is what did him in. Anyone that has ever played the game with a hamstring injury will tell you that sudden changes in direction, particularly at the speed at which the NFL is played, will kill you.

Can 2017 look something like this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back