PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Guy: I used to love him; now he irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to love Bill- I was an original reader of his bostonsportsguy.com website. But his obnoxious NBA columns are killing me.

He is on my nerves, too. He found watching the Pats "boring" halfway through the season, but he'll be the first to talk about "his" team once they start steamrolling through the playoffs. Sort of like how he hated the new Rocky movie, then found out that people liked it and then he decided it wasn't so bad after all. Jeez, have a backbone, sportsguy!

Tom may be hurt. Or he may be rushed at times, And maybe he's not in sync with his new receiver corps (first part of the season). But what's most important is that he's NOT THROWING PICKS! Zero interceptions in the last 4 games, one in the last 5. That's over 100 passes without an interception. For the season he threw 516 passes and had 12 picks (2%) Some of those were tipped. He completed 62%. So I don't think he's as inaccurate as people think. He almost always throws it where if his guys can't reach it, the defenders won't either. If he keeps this up in the playoffs, # 12 will be an MVP candidate once again.

Nah .. Sports Guys rules

he just pointed out he has been missing his guys .. its true

I haven't been reading the Sports Guy near as much as the I did in the past. His SB XXXVI article remains my all-time favorite. He jumped the shark when he left for Jimmy Kimmel's show, but I still think he's the best ESPN has to offer by a long shot.

Anyway, why do people on here suddenly not like him anymore? Just because he deosn't toe the party-line?

He is on my nerves, too. He found watching the Pats "boring" halfway through the season, but he'll be the first to talk about "his" team once they start steamrolling through the playoffs.

I thought they were getting boring there for a bit too. Does that make the Sports Guy less of a fan because he didn't like the direction where the team was heading?

I thought they were getting boring there for a bit too. Does that make the Sports Guy less of a fan because he didn't like the direction where the team was heading?

No, but it does make him a bit of an idiot because his opinion will do a 180 if they steamroll through the playoffs.

Even if he's right, it's still annoying and lacks his former homerism appeal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061229

"Tom Brady is playing hurt. And I don't mean emotionally. You don't sail throws over the heads of open receivers for four straight months unless (A) you're Jake Plummer or (B) something is physically wrong with you. There's no other explanation. He's hurt. The season is going to end in Baltimore in two or three weeks, and three days later, the Patriots will quietly announce that Tom Brady just had a successful surgery at Mass General for a broken left clavicle or a fractured right wrist or something. "
This guy amazes me. Though he may be correct about an injury, I dont know what it would take for him to be convinced the Pats will go deep into the playoffs. He used to be a huge supporter. Now he is just annoys me, I try not to read anything but you know how you see stuff by curiousity even if I dont like whats going to be said. Its much like John Clayton, the guy always always is anti Patriots. He wrote a pre postseason article and mentioned the Patriots had won three in a row but he wouldnt call them hot. Yeah, the Pats only scored 100-110 points through those wins.

I dont know, Brady has been off for some games this season but he has been absolutely red hot on many of the others. Brady has had a really good season, stats are good(not amazing but who cares?). Hey for a QB who has "the worst recieving core in the league" and who has "the broken left clavicle", Tom hasnt been half bad.

I dont understand something though, last season with a few wins versus Buffalo and Tampa plenty of people were back on the bandwagon thinking the Pats were going deep into the playoffs and no one could stop us. We were only 10-6 and lost in the Divisional Playoffs. After an offseason of critisism(sp), we come back with a 12-4 record, lettinf up the second least points in the league, having a pretty good offense. But I dont know apparently a few people just arent satisfied by it.

Last edited:
Anyway, why do people on here suddenly not like him anymore? Just because he deosn't toe the party-line?

I don't like him because he has become what he hates. I avoid the Boston sports media because of all of the negativity. I avoid Simmons's comments on Boston teams right now for the same reason.

The guy has done nothing but complain while the Pats have put up a 12-4 record. He heads the line of Boston fans that make the rest of us look bad.

Even if he's right, it's still annoying and lacks his former homerism appeal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061229

"Tom Brady is playing hurt. And I don't mean emotionally. You don't sail throws over the heads of open receivers for four straight months unless (A) you're Jake Plummer or (B) something is physically wrong with you. There's no other explanation. He's hurt. The season is going to end in Baltimore in two or three weeks, and three days later, the Patriots will quietly announce that Tom Brady just had a successful surgery at Mass General for a broken left clavicle or a fractured right wrist or something. "

TB may be hurt to a degree, but then I recall his TD pass to Caldwell. That was a rocket, which Joe Namath himself should be proud to claim as his own. I still feel that more of TB's inaccuracies are due to mental and psychological reasons, rather than physical limitations.

P.S.: Welcome back, PJ.

Last edited:
No, but it does make him a bit of an idiot because his opinion will do a 180 if they steamroll through the playoffs.

I guess it took a woman to get what I was saying, hence the movie analogy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes