PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Guy: I used to love him; now he irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patjew

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Even if he's right, it's still annoying and lacks his former homerism appeal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061229

"Tom Brady is playing hurt. And I don't mean emotionally. You don't sail throws over the heads of open receivers for four straight months unless (A) you're Jake Plummer or (B) something is physically wrong with you. There's no other explanation. He's hurt. The season is going to end in Baltimore in two or three weeks, and three days later, the Patriots will quietly announce that Tom Brady just had a successful surgery at Mass General for a broken left clavicle or a fractured right wrist or something. "

"Tom Brady is playing hurt. And I don't mean emotionally. You don't sail throws over the heads of open receivers for four straight months unless (A) you're Jake Plummer or (B) something is physically wrong with you. There's no other explanation. He's hurt. The season is going to end in Baltimore in two or three weeks, and three days later, the Patriots will quietly announce that Tom Brady just had a successful surgery at Mass General for a broken left clavicle or a fractured right wrist or something. "

Who knows? Maybe he is hurt, definitely dinged up as everyone is. Personally I think it's a shoulder(rotator cuff injury), probably minor. But the fact is the guy plays in pain and is the ultimate gamer.

If they do play baltimore I could see the short passing game being utilized with alot of YAC.

I agree that TB is playing hurt and it is effecting his passing game. I've never seen any qb throw up as many clinkers as Tom has this year. If he were a first year player, he would have been benched.

But even though he isn't 100%, he is still better than most qbs in the league because of his ability to play the game. Not just throw the football.

I agree that TB is playing hurt and it is effecting his passing game. I've never seen any qb throw up as many clinkers as Tom has this year. If he were a first year player, he would have been benched.

But even though he isn't 100%, he is still better than most qbs in the league because of his ability to play the game. Not just throw the football.

I don't think he'd be benched. He's won 11 games. Was in the running for the pro bowl.

I don't think he'd be benched. He's won 11 games. Was in the running for the pro bowl.

As I said, he is still better than most qbs out there. I also think he should have made the pro bowl over Rivers.
I still think that his listing as probable for a shoulder ailment all season long is not for nothing.
If Tom was 100%, he'd be having a career year.

As I said, he is still better than most qbs out there. I also think he should have made the pro bowl over Rivers.
I still think that his listing as probable for a shoulder ailment all season long is not for nothing.
If Tom was 100%, he'd be having a career year.

In 1 post you say he could have been benched. In the next he should have made the Pro Bowl?

And the probable for the shoulder has been going on for 3 years becasue NFL changed their rules after the 2003 season to state that if a guy misses part of any practice during the week he must be on the injury report. The Pats rest Brady at set times during practice as a way of monitoring his "pitch count." It was something they began doing in 2003 as part of Brady's rehab from the shoulder injury he sufferred at the end of 2002. That is why he is on the list every week and you can't read it either way as a health indicator.

Put me on the list that thinks Tom Brady isn't hurt. But that MOST of his "overthrows", or out of bounds throws are on purpose to avoid things that we can't see as fans.

If Tom were having a career year with this receiving corps and erratic Oline play and disjointed running game they'd have to make an exception to the rule that you can't be inducted into the HOF while active. :rolleyes:

Zolak and Gresh (of all people) made a pretty convincing case last week on the post game show that the over and under throws, while partly the result of timing and route mistakes by the receivers, are also partly the result of all the moving around he's having to do just to avoid pressure this season. He is having to buy time for receivers to get open and then seldom having time to fully set himself before he has to get a throw off, either because of what is transpiring in front of him (split second windows and collapsing pockets) or behind him (backside pressure closing in).

"The Sports Guy" has been "unreadable" for some time now. I can't stand him and don't read him anymore.

Some of his bad throws may have come with the new recievers not picking up when they need to break of thier route or shorten it up due to
A. not seeing the blitz package or
B. Breaking off thier route too soon thinking that Tom will have to get rid of the ball. or
C. Running a 10 yard out when it was supposed to be a 15 yard out (or vice versa) due to confusion when Tom Audibles a new play at the LOS.
D. Being forced to break off the route due to defensive coverage.
Etc, etc etc.

But seems to me I have seen as many overthrows as I have underthrows which tends to make me lean towards Toms shoulder status not as bad as some would think due to the fact that if his shoulder really bothered him, there would be more underthrows....not the case.

I think its trying to get on the same page with a bunch of new guys.

In 1 post you say he could have been benched. In the next he should have made the Pro Bowl?

And the probable for the shoulder has been going on for 3 years becasue NFL changed their rules after the 2003 season to state that if a guy misses part of any practice during the week he must be on the injury report. The Pats rest Brady at set times during practice as a way of monitoring his "pitch count." It was something they began doing in 2003 as part of Brady's rehab from the shoulder injury he sufferred at the end of 2002. That is why he is on the list every week and you can't read it either way as a health indicator.

I said any first year player would have been benched. Brady is a proven commodity. I still say alot of his throws are beyond inaccurate but still many are on target and a lot requiring outstanding catches by the receivers.
It's like he can throw ok when he is positioned the way he wants to be he can get a good pass off, usually. But if he is not positioned the way he wants, he feels pain when he throws and he is prone to inaccuracy because of it.
But he's not hurt enough where he should sit. He's had a great year. I just fear that this is going to lead to some long term damage. I hope I'm wrong, of course.

Hey Patjew, how are you doing?

If you read sportsguy's writings about football, you realize he really doesn't know what he's talking about IMO.

He's a bettor and a Phantasy Phootball guy who equates piling up tons of stats with football improvement.

Of course he's a true Boston sports fan, but point spreads and margin of victory are his bread and butter.

So, you posting from Hong Kong? And do you get three New Years?

Nah .. Sports Guys rules

he just pointed out he has been missing his guys .. its true

Put me on the list that thinks Tom Brady isn't hurt. But that MOST of his "overthrows", or out of bounds throws are on purpose to avoid things that we can't see as fans.

well, if you can draw a penalty from hitting your guy's ankles, I'm with you!

Hey Patjew, how are you doing?

If you read sportsguy's writings about football, you realize he really doesn't know what he's talking about IMO.

He's a bettor and a Phantasy Phootball guy who equates piling up tons of stats with football improvement.

Of course he's a true Boston sports fan, but point spreads and margin of victory are his bread and butter.

So, you posting from Hong Kong? And do you get three New Years?

Doing very well so far here in Hong Kong, thanks!

It was a little strange to get to the new year 13 hours earlier than usual, like I'm in the future. Let me know if you need stock tips or tomorrow's lottery numbers.

And I agree that he's more into fantasy and betting. But he just seems more negative than ever before. Too much time in LA, maybe.

I like Sports Guy, but his pop culture references get annoying after a while.

Simmons is still funny, but he's become a spoiled Boston sports fan and just generally bitter. Last year the Sox weren't spending enough money, this year they're spending too much, Deion Branch was an overrated possession receiver, then Deion Branch was Franchise Player 1A and should have been shown the money (existing contract be damned), Doc Rivers is awful (true), he's given up on the Bruins...blahblahblah. Even when he goes outside of Boston sports it's whine, whine, whine. All he does is gripe now; I can't believe he's the same guy I read in "Now I Can Die In Peace." I really only look forward to his mailbags now.

i love how Simmons has become as negative as the Boston media he loathes. he's actually worse right now. whatever happened to his 5 year grace period?

actually i hate it

If Tom were having a career year with this receiving corps and erratic Oline play and disjointed running game they'd have to make an exception to the rule that you can't be inducted into the HOF while active. :rolleyes:

Zolak and Gresh (of all people) made a pretty convincing case last week on the post game show that the over and under throws, while partly the result of timing and route mistakes by the receivers, are also partly the result of all the moving around he's having to do just to avoid pressure this season. He is having to buy time for receivers to get open and then seldom having time to fully set himself before he has to get a throw off, either because of what is transpiring in front of him (split second windows and collapsing pockets) or behind him (backside pressure closing in).

This is exactly it. Tom is not setting his feet well on a lot of the throws. He's simply not following through. He's using all arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes