PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Specter on Limbaugh show: "There was filming"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a world of hurt. From the public perception stand point, yes I can see that they will be guilty in the eyes of most. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that I would expect the league offices to fine them. Walsh produces the tape. Belichick denies it and gives various reasons as to why it wasn't under their authorization or knowledge. Goodell would then need to make a determination based on the facts presented. Given what we have already heard from the Patriots camp, there is a lot of evidence that Walsh could have done this without their knowledge. I don't think Walsh produces tape = Belichick suspension or worse by any means.

Full disclosure here--I'm not a Pats fan, but I have to disagree with you on this. If there's a tape, no one other than NE fans will believe the Pats that they weren't involved with its production. Lots of smoke, must be fire, will be the thinking. Goodell will have no choice but to punish the team severely. I wouldn't be surprised if he himself is fired or pushed aside if it turns out that there is a tape, based on the way he handled this from the beginning--it will all look like one big coverup by Goodell and the League if Walsh turns out to have something. Notice I'm not saying what the "facts" actually are here in terms of knowledge, intent, involvement in the taping, but regardless of what they actually are (although I must admit you can count me among those who won't believe NE if a tape exists, no matter what BB and Co. say) I would expect that the punishment will be severe or the NFL risks really alienating the rest of its fanbase by appearing to show favoritism to one team. That's my prediction as to how things would play out if there's a tape--I could be right, I could be wrong, but the interesting thing to me at this stage is whether we'll ever get to test this out. Oddly quiet on the Walsh front the last two weeks.....

Full disclosure here--I'm not a Pats fan, but I have to disagree with you on this. If there's a tape, no one other than NE fans will believe the Pats that they weren't involved with its production. Lots of smoke, must be fire, will be the thinking. Goodell will have no choice but to punish the team severely. I wouldn't be surprised if he himself is fired or pushed aside if it turns out that there is a tape, based on the way he handled this from the beginning--it will all look like one big coverup by Goodell and the League if Walsh turns out to have something. Notice I'm not saying what the "facts" actually are here in terms of knowledge, intent, involvement in the taping, but regardless of what they actually are (although I must admit you can count me among those who won't believe NE if a tape exists, no matter what BB and Co. say) I would expect that the punishment will be severe or the NFL risks really alienating the rest of its fanbase by appearing to show favoritism to one team. That's my prediction as to how things would play out if there's a tape--I could be right, I could be wrong, but the interesting thing to me at this stage is whether we'll ever get to test this out. Oddly quiet on the Walsh front the last two weeks.....
Buddy I am glad u are not on a jury...it has NOTHING to do with what they say..but there HAS to be proof...MORE than just the existence of a tape..hey if Goodell goes...fine..BUT you MUST be kidding when u say there must be something severe..what the heck is FINES like that...the MOST he can give...taking away a first round pick....is that not severe??? OR are u not knowledgeable about what punishments have been in the past..IF Goodell conntinues with his unfairness..I believe that the PATS will not take this sitting down..

Buddy I am glad u are not on a jury...it has NOTHING to do with what they say..but there HAS to be proof...MORE than just the existence of a tape..hey if Goodell goes...fine..BUT you MUST be kidding when u say there must be something severe..what the heck is FINES like that...the MOST he can give...taking away a first round pick....is that not severe??? OR are u not knowledgeable about what punishments have been in the past..IF Goodell conntinues with his unfairness..I believe that the PATS will not take this sitting down..

This isn't a court of law we're talking about here, "burdens of proof" don't apply, and this isn't just any game we're talking about here, but a Super Bowl. Judment and punishment are up to the Commissioner and the integrity of the game itself is obviously at stake. The mere existence of a tape is all the proof people will need in this case. No one outside of NE is going to believe anything that the Pats organization says about the origin of the tape and that Walsh must have done it all on his own, plain and simple. Goodell is in a tough spot in such a case--if he goes easy on NE and believes what they spoon feed him (when 99% of the fanbase outside NE doesn't, and believe me (pun slightly intended), that's about what the number will be) then he and the League have lost a ton of credibility with the average fan League-wide. Sports leagues' popularity is not a given and can go up and down--just ask MLB and the NBA. If Goodell were a "President", his approval ratings are already in the toilet for his initial handling of this matter, so he may need to do something to appease the fans and throw you all under the bus to save himself.

Has it occurred to anyone here that if, as you suspect, Specter is behind representing Levy and that's why he's seen the correpsondence with the League, that he may also have spoken to Levy about what Walsh actually has and/or actually spoken to Walsh himself about it? In such a case, his comments that started this story off can't be anything but ominous for Pats fans. As I said originally, I have no more idea on this stuff than any of you, but it will be interesting to see where it goes....

Has it occurred to anyone here that if, as you suspect, Specter is behind representing Levy and that's why he's seen the correpsondence with the League, that he may also have spoken to Levy about what Walsh actually has and/or actually spoken to Walsh himself about it? In such a case, his comments that started this story off can't be anything but ominous for Pats fans. As I said originally, I have no more idea on this stuff than any of you, but it will be interesting to see where it goes....

Three things that have been raised before, but apparently need to be raised again:

(1) Specter's main duty in this cluster**** is to carry Comcast's water. He honestly could care less about the "integrity of the game." The fact that he's trying to tie the antitrust exemption to what allegedly is the actions of a single team is beyond ludicrous.

(2) If Walsh has a tape, why haven't we seen it?

(3) If things are as bad as you hypothesize they might be, why would the Pats come out and deny having a confidentiality agreement? Why not maintain that fiction?

Last edited:
So after a clandestine filming of the Rams walk though they decide to just throw the tape in the tape room? Seriously?

dumber things have been done...nixon taped himself...in new york we just got rid of a governor who thought he could hide $80,000 worth of hookers...clinton gave Lewinsky his, um, DNA...sure, some idiot could "just throw the tape in the tape room"

i sincerely wish you were right, but if there is a tape, fine points about "authorized" or "unauthorized", "stolen" or "not stolen" will be overlooked...those who ultimately put the money in the coffers of the NFL, i.e., fans all over the country who watch the games and buy the beer and soft drinks and cars of their sponsors, won't be listening to them...Goodell will have no choice but to act to preserve the reputation and viability of the league (not to mention its favored status under antitrust laws)...that will require actions that go farther than what he has already done...

...but, we're all getting way ahead of ourselves. as far as i'm concerned, BB has told the truth. until i am proven wrong, the patriots have told the truth. there is no tape and walsh is a crazed liar.

This isn't a court of law we're talking about here, "burdens of proof" don't apply, and this isn't just any game we're talking about here, but a Super Bowl. Judment and punishment are up to the Commissioner and the integrity of the game itself is obviously at stake. The mere existence of a tape is all the proof people will need in this case. No one outside of NE is going to believe anything that the Pats organization says about the origin of the tape and that Walsh must have done it all on his own, plain and simple. Goodell is in a tough spot in such a case--if he goes easy on NE and believes what they spoon feed him (when 99% of the fanbase outside NE doesn't, and believe me (pun slightly intended), that's about what the number will be) then he and the League have lost a ton of credibility with the average fan League-wide. Sports leagues' popularity is not a given and can go up and down--just ask MLB and the NBA. If Goodell were a "President", his approval ratings are already in the toilet for his initial handling of this matter, so he may need to do something to appease the fans and throw you all under the bus to save himself.

Actually, I do think Specter is far more connected to Levy and Walsh than he lets on and his comments actually are encouraging that Walsh has nothing. If Walsh has the videotape of the Rams walkthrough and Specter knows that for a fact, he would be screaming from the rooftops to get this indemedity done and that he knows Walsh has the smoking gun.

The fact that he is only trying to cast doubt on the NFL's motives seems to more point to that Walsh has no hard evidence to back up his claim. Specter really seems to be positioning it as the NFL has something to hide and you cannot believe the NFL's or Patriots' word over Matt Walsh's although there is no evidence to support it since the NFL tried not to get Walsh to talk.

The more I hear Specter speak, the more encouraged I am. The guy loves to grandstand. If he knew for a fact there was physical evidence that Walsh videotaped the walkthrough, the guy would be holding three press conferences a day to force the NFL to get the deal done. He is doing the opposite and has even made appearances on Howard Stern and the Daily Show and not even mentioned the NFL.

I wonder if specter saw Walsh's tape.?

specter will look like an ars if there is no tape later on.

Last edited:

Ok Rook, first off you say "the way Goodell handled this from the beginning...what do you mean by that? If you're referring to the destruction of tapes, it is widely believed that those tapes contained evidence of OTHER teams video taping signals. Net/net, evidence that this was a league-wide issue. That is why Goodell stated EXACTLY that at his Super Bowl press conference..."This was going on across the league"

As far as Goodell's action or lack of just because a tape is produced, it does NOT matter what public opinion is regarding the Patriots or Bill Belichik. If you believe any tape of the Rams practice = harsh punishment without proof, you're out of your mind bro. There will have to be evidence especially considering Walsh's reputation. He did actually tape record a meeting with Scott Pioli. That is fact.

Remember, the original transgression of taping defensive signals was never a big deal. It was BB's defiance, not the action that was penalized.

"The mere existence of a tape is all the proof people will need in this case." People? Are you kidding buddy? "People" will not be judging this case. If Goodell went by public opinion, he would have suspended Belichik long ago. People hated Bill long before this incident and that hatred will NOT influence the outcome of this issue.

To all those who hate Belichik, you shouldn't even be posting your opinion here. You've already made up your mind so all I can say to you is...

GROW UP!!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Three things that have been raised before, but apparently need to be raised again:

(1) Specter's main duty in this cluster**** is to carry Comcast's water. He honestly could care less about the "integrity of the game." The fact that he's trying to tie the antitrust exemption to what allegedly is the actions of a single team is beyond ludicrous.

(2) If Walsh has a tape, why haven't we seen it?

(3) If things are as bad as you hypothesize they might be, why would the Pats come out and deny having a confidentiality agreement? Why not maintain that fiction?

Hello??? Mr "Fanetic", where are you?:D

If you can't spell Fanatic, your opinion can't be that educated.;)

It may NOT be a court of law..but he is GOING to have to do more than just say there's a tape and that's it...I think MOST football fans have some sense unilike you who thinks they are all morons..and that is what it would be UNLESS there is some link..NOT just what the Patriots have said..but some prrof other than a tape. I believe that Goodell himself WILL have to have some link or some reason to do anything. otherwise he may put the league in jeopardy..
If you believe that the integrity of the game hinges on whether there is a tape or not..I feel sorry for you.. the NFL has ALREADY lost a lot of credibility..and his handling of this has not helped it at all. As far as throwing the Patriots under the bus..like he already DID..didn't u know what his penalty already was??? If he indeed continues with unfairness...I think he might destroy the league. I do NOT think the Patriots will take any MORE unfairness sitting down. He already has shown he has no guts..and is part of a lynch mob mentality. I can assure you if Goodell continues with it, I think the Krafts will have no choice and will have lawyers all ready to take on the league. Do understand, Al Davis has done that and never lost? I do NOT think Goodell will want to take that path. As for what will happen between Levt/Walsh and the league...nothing. It's dead until someone makes a flinches.

Last edited:
I think the Fanetic is a troll into wishful thinking. If Walsh had anything it would have been released by now since the Pats have already said they don't have a non disclosure agreement with him. Does anyone think that Mangini would corroborate Walsh's story if a tape existed. He has already tried to get Belichick fired by his actions. I believe all Walsh has is old tapes of the filming of defensive signals which Belichick admitted existed. I am quite sure that Commonwealth has a spot for him in Walpole.

Very interesting reaction here--I get attacked for simply speaking my mind on how an objective non-Pats fan will view all this and the Commissioner's likely reaction to it to save himself. As seconded by even one of your own above, all I'm saying is that if there is a tape that Walsh produces, I strongly believe that no matter what NE says the punishment will be harsh--even if he wants to, Goodell risks serious damage to the League and his own credibility if he chooses to believe NE in a "he said, he said" over this, absent proof that Walsh acted on his own here other than mere denials from the Pats organization. It may not be fair, depending on your point of view, but there it is. Again, right or wrong, fans of other teams will be livid and will want blood, that's a fact--if you don't believe it, you really ought to get out more (ie., visit other teams' sites, talk to fans of other teams, etc).

Interesting post above on why Walsh may not have anything (i.e, Specter would be shouting it from the rooftops)--you may be right, as that hadn't occurred to me. Once again, time will tell on all of this as I think we can all agree that this won't go away until Walsh speaks and spills whatever he has (or doesn't have).....

PS On the "Fanetic" spelling thing, "FootballFanatic" was taken as an e-mail address with my ISP, I'm afraid to say:)

Last edited:
Goodell has put himself between a rock and a hard place in this matter. If a tape exists of the walk through and he tries to punish the Pats and Belichick any more without clear proof that they were involved, Kraft will strike back legally and behind the scenes and I don't think Goodell will survive. Just think Al Davis with power. I don't think the lynch mob mentality will be able to coerce Goodell to do something without proof. The other thing that will happen is that all the dirt that Belichick has on other teams cheating in 25 years in the league will come out and I don't think the league will be able to take that.

even if he wants to, Goodell risks serious damage to the League and his own credibility if he chooses to believe NE in a "he said, he said" over this, absent proof that Walsh acted on his own here other than mere denials from the Pats organization.

Two other things:

(1) Goodell interviewed over a dozen Patriots employees. All of them flatly denied it, and, remember Goodell was aware of this rumor back in September or October.

(2) Based on all the available evidence--including the fact that there was no electricity provided to the cameras that were set up in the stadium--Goodell already believes the Patriots.

I think the mistake you are making is that you will receive some sort of full disclosure or that the public will be made aware of the process. Goodell, if he is not a total moron, will not make the same error of letting information leak out about a deal and their discussions with Walsh as they happen. That would create another sideshow were you have daily or even hourly updates and building up a fervor that could result in the ending you predict. I doubt very much its going to happen that way. In fact, I doubt you hear anything about it at all until Goodell has made a decision either way about it. My prediction is that sometime in the middle of the NBA finals or other major event that will draw attention away from the subject, the NFL will issue a statement that they have reached an agreement with Walsh, and after an investigation his claims were found to not be credible. They will also state that they reviewed the results of the investigation with the Patriots and Rams and all parties were in agreement. As part of the deal they give Walsh they will also include a one year gag order preventing him from contradicting the story until it is well dead and buried. Case closed. And why would they do this you may ask? Because it benefits the league NOTHING to find anything. Whether there is anything there or not they want nothing more than to bury it and bury the shovel. They are idiots to do anything but this.

And if you think this can't be done, look at the NBA Refs scandel. Look at the fact that two NFL franchises cheated the salary cap to help them win superbowls. This things were also quickly buried without any big uproar, broohaha and hardly any punishments dished out. The more you address it the worse it gets.

Last edited:
I think the mistake you are making is that you will receive some sort of full disclosure or that the public will be made aware of the process. Goodell, if he is not a total moron, will not make the same error of letting information leak out about a deal and their discussions with Walsh as they happen. That would create another sideshow were you have daily or even hourly updates and building up a fervor that could result in the ending you predict. I doubt very much its going to happen that way. In fact, I doubt you hear anything about it at all until Goodell has made a decision either way about it. My prediction is that sometime in the middle of the NBA finals or other major event that will draw attention away from the subject, the NFL will issue a statement that they have reached an agreement with Walsh, and after an investigation his claims were found to not be credible. They will also state that they reviewed the results of the investigation with the Patriots and Rams and all parties were in agreement. As part of the deal they give Walsh they will also include a one year gag order preventing him from contradicting the story until it is well dead and buried. Case closed. And why would they do this you may ask? Because it benefits the league NOTHING to find anything. Whether there is anything there or not they want nothing more than to bury it and bury the shovel. They are idiots to do anything but this.

And if you think this can't be done, look at the NBA Refs scandel. Look at the fact that two NFL franchises cheated the salary cap to help them win superbowls. This things were also quickly buried without any big uproar, broohaha and hardly any punishments dished out. The more you address it the worse it gets.

You may be right on the League not wanting to find anything and I agree they will do all they can to minimize it, but I think your analysis is a bit of wishful thinking on how this goes away. First, after what happened with destroying evidence the first time around, there's no way Goodell could get away with such a high-handed approach this time as to have no transparency with the process here. As we've already seen, the press would have a field day with that and average fans of every team but NE would be all over that like flies on you know what. I think his past handling of this is really going to come back and bite him here. Similarly, no way do fans or the press, much less Sen. Specter, who will still be out there for all of this, let him get away with putting an effective gag order on Walsh. This isn't going away until we all hear what Mr. Walsh has to say, straight from him.

One thing I'm a bit surprised about here is that it seems like many folks here just want this to somehow magically go away. As fans of the team that's been accused of cheating, don't you all want to have your name cleared? The only way that will happen is for Walsh to come forward with all he has and for that to turn out to be a big pile of nothing--anything less and this doesn't go away. I, for one, out of curiousity on all this, very much want to see what, if anything, Mr. Walsh has. It may be something, it may be nothing, but we need to know what it is and hear it from him, not another "nothing to see here, just move along."

Very interesting reaction here--I get attacked for simply speaking my mind on how an objective non-Pats fan will view all this and the Commissioner's likely reaction to it to save himself.
Firstly....I do not think the word 'objective' needs to be included as clearly you have a LARGE point of view.. so maybe non-Pats fan might be closer to it.
As seconded by even one of your own above, all I'm saying is that if there is a tape that Walsh produces, I strongly believe that no matter what NE says the punishment will be harsh--even if he wants to, Goodell risks serious damage to the League and his own credibility if he chooses to believe NE in a "he said, he said" over this, absent proof that Walsh acted on his own here other than mere denials from the Pats organization. It may not be fair, depending on your point of view, but there it is.
This I think makes NO sense at all..what you are saying is that Walsh (an ex-employee with an ax to grind, who has lied on his resume, fired by that organization and who has made audio tapes that were illegal to make) is to be believed MORE than those in the Patriots organization. YOU think Goodell has to do that...my friend I don't know how much you know about football...but that might be the silliest thing I have heard yet. That he HAS to do that for creedibility?? IF Goodell DID believe scumbag Walsh OVER the Patriots..I think Goodell would be GONE ASAP.. You are in a dream world if you believe otherwise. The ONLY way that Goodell would believe Walsh would be IF he had absolute proof the Patriots were not telling the truth. THAT is a fact!! What damage is he risking?? WHere is teh serious damage?? The damage WOULD happen if he did indeed believe Walsh..not teh other way around.
Again, right or wrong, fans of other teams will be livid and will want blood, that's a fact--if you don't believe it, you really ought to get out more (ie., visit other teams' sites, talk to fans of other teams, etc).
Buddy... I think you believe those fans are total morons..like the ones who in September wanted the Patriots to forfeit the game..the ones who Goodell followed originally which led to the dumb decision he made..the lynch mob that caused that.. the ones who know so little about football that they haven't realized that what went on has been going on for years..SORRY..I think MOST football fans are a BIT more intelligent than that and will want to know the truth as opposed those in the mob. Your statement about them to me shows they are NOT really fans of the game in any way..and I really do NOT think Goodell will be fooled twice by that. If that does happen..he's GONE!!
Interesting post above on why Walsh may not have anything (i.e, Specter would be shouting it from the rooftops)--you may be right, as that hadn't occurred to me. Once again, time will tell on all of this as I think we can all agree that this won't go away until Walsh speaks and spills whatever he has (or doesn't have).....
PS On the "Fanetic" spelling thing, "FootballFanatic" was taken as an e-mail address with my ISP, I'm afraid to say:)
I think it will go away..they are at a standoff now..GO AWAY?? Spector and others keep it in the media..and that will pass...I think he may not have anything..or something less than a smoking gun..not even a cap gun.

Firstly....I do not think the word 'objective' needs to be included as clearly you have a LARGE point of view.. so maybe non-Pats fan might be closer to it.

This I think makes NO sense at all..what you are saying is that Walsh (an ex-employee with an ax to grind, who has lied on his resume, fired by that organization and who has made audio tapes that were illegal to make) is to be believed MORE than those in the Patriots organization. YOU think Goodell has to do that...my friend I don't know how much you know about football...but that might be the silliest thing I have heard yet. That he HAS to do that for creedibility?? IF Goodell DID believe scumbag Walsh OVER the Patriots..I think Goodell would be GONE ASAP.. You are in a dream world if you believe otherwise. The ONLY way that Goodell would believe Walsh would be IF he had absolute proof the Patriots were not telling the truth. THAT is a fact!! What damage is he risking?? WHere is teh serious damage?? The damage WOULD happen if he did indeed believe Walsh..not teh other way around.
Buddy... I think you believe those fans are total morons..like the ones who in September wanted the Patriots to forfeit the game..the ones who Goodell followed originally which led to the dumb decision he made..the lynch mob that caused that.. the ones who know so little about football that they haven't realized that what went on has been going on for years..SORRY..I think MOST football fans are a BIT more intelligent than that and will want to know the truth as opposed those in the mob. Your statement about them to me shows they are NOT really fans of the game in any way..and I really do NOT think Goodell will be fooled twice by that. If that does happen..he's GONE!!
I think it will go away..they are at a standoff now..GO AWAY?? Spector and others keep it in the media..and that will pass...I think he may not have anything..or something less than a smoking gun..not even a cap gun.

As noted above--if you think my views are abnormal on this in terms of how fans of the other 31 teams in the League view this I invite you to go and ask them. Visit another team's message board and ask what they think should happen if Walsh turns out to have a copy of the SB walkthrough tape. I strongly suspect you won't like the answer you get.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back