PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sort of OT: If no season, can we drop "OT"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
:D The tag is proliferating anyway... part of it is the off-season... what if the off-season goes through the season?

Another "what if"... If there's no football, college or pro, this season... how do they draft in April (assuming something changes, e.g., we get a vaccine by then?)

Q. 2 is only valid assuming that the effects of trying to fight this virus don't eff us up so bad that we just don't care either way, but do eff us up to the point there's no football.

Humor me, offseason.

Difficult finding much "humor" in any of this.. can share some anxiety. Want some???

Difficult finding much "humor" in any of this.. can share some anxiety. Want some???

Not looking to reinforce anxiety dude, we have plenty here too :D Anyway, I hear it's our own fault for growing old.

In order to be generous of spirit, to all those who are progressively more cavalier about their neighbors' and relatives' deaths as these others grow older, I'll wish for them that they never face this devalued stage of life :D

:D The tag is proliferating anyway... part of it is the off-season... what if the off-season goes through the season?

Another "what if"... If there's no football, college or pro, this season... how do they draft in April (assuming something changes, e.g., we get a vaccine by then?).
If there is no NFL season, then there would certainly be no NCAA season. While some college players would declare (most obvious candidate being Trevor Lawrence) most would want to stay another year. I am not sure there would be enough for a full draft. I think there would be a supplemental draft.

The League could set up a supplemental draft under their usual rules or - perhaps more interestingly - allow teams to submit a “bid” for any player they want using multiple draft picks. I could see some team submitting a bid of 3 first rounders for Lawrence (I don’t think he’s worth it, but I bet some team would do it).

If there is no NFL season, then there would certainly be no NCAA season. While some college players would declare (most obvious candidate being Trevor Lawrence) most would want to stay another year. I am not sure there would be enough for a full draft. I think there would be a supplemental draft.

The League could set up a supplemental draft under their usual rules or - perhaps more interestingly - allow teams to submit a “bid” for any player they want using multiple draft picks. I could see some team submitting a bid of 3 first rounders for Lawrence (I don’t think he’s worth it, but I bet some team would do it).

Okay, I feel like Sheldon playing "counterfactuals" with Amy. Except this is more like "maybes".

I like the thinking, then there would be the free agency weirdness as people try to figure out the run on guys whose contracts expired while not playing... if there's no vaccine by the time their contracts run out, will players start taking lower total money for "guaranteed, playing the season or not" money or something?

Okay, I feel like Sheldon playing "counterfactuals" with Amy. Except this is more like "maybes".

I like the thinking, then there would be the free agency weirdness as people try to figure out the run on guys whose contracts expired while not playing... if there's no vaccine by the time their contracts run out, will players start taking lower total money for "guaranteed, playing the season or not" money or something?
As far as free agency goes, it would depend on whether or not a player's contract tolls a year in 2020. There are good reasons to do that but also good reasons not to.

I doubt the League would allow a mechanism where a player can get paid for games that aren't played. However, a large signing bonus would certainly cover that situation. Players will try to get big signing bonuses since that's cash in hand whether the games are played or not. Of course, players already try to get big signing bonuses so I don't see a radically different dynamic being created in that hypothetical.

I think the trickiest part if we miss an entire season is simply what happens to the salary cap. They would have to work together to radically change how the cap is calculated.

As far as free agency goes, it would depend on whether or not a player's contract tolls a year in 2020. There are good reasons to do that but also good reasons not to.

I doubt the League would allow a mechanism where a player can get paid for games that aren't played. However, a large signing bonus would certainly cover that situation. Players will try to get big signing bonuses since that's cash in hand whether the games are played or not. Of course, players already try to get big signing bonuses so I don't see a radically different dynamic being created in that hypothetical.

I think the trickiest part if we miss an entire season is simply what happens to the salary cap. They would have to work together to radically change how the cap is calculated.

Yeah that cap thing is real. Bye bye Chiefs lol.

Sure they like to get paid up front :D

So if the 2021 season is in doubt, players just have an additional incentive to want a league min. salary and an (additional) pay cut to convert potential salary, roster bonuses, out years, etc. to a signing bonus. Eh well, it's all speculation until the chaos begins to make its way into contracts (I don't think we have certainty now or will have certainty... and I have not heard about contracts from the beginning of the year that took this tack... maybe I just don't follow it in the off-season.)

Anybody heard of NFL contracts that are pricing in COVID risk yet? Not Brady's of course, he's got the cure ;D

(Meaning the risk of cancelled games/season)

Sure they like to get paid up front :D

So if the 2021 season is in doubt, players just have an additional incentive to want a league min. salary and an (additional) pay cut to convert potential salary, roster bonuses, out years, etc. to a signing bonus. Eh well, it's all speculation until the chaos begins to make its way into contracts (I don't think we have certainty now or will have certainty... and I have not heard about contracts from the beginning of the year that took this tack... maybe I just don't follow it in the off-season.)

Anybody heard of NFL contracts that are pricing in COVID risk yet? Not Brady's of course, he's got the cure ;D
I know of no such individual contracts, but I imagine the way the Covid risk will be handled is not a case-by-case basis. I think it is the sort of thing management and the NFLPA would negotiate separately and that policy would apply to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back