PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some NFL teams comparing Nick Fairley to Albert Haynesworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams wary of Auburn star DT - NYPOST.com

If Nick turns out to be anything like Haynesworth then I would draft him and trade him in his third year :cool:

IDK. Seems to me that Dan Snyder has learned his lesson and that Al Davis might not be around anymore by that time (rumor is that there aren't enough virgins left in the world to keep him supplied with transfusions). And Childress is flipping burgers somewhere, so he's out as a potential victim, er, "valued trade partner".

;)

This is the comparison I got when watching the Georgia game. I just got the feeling that this is a guy that is going to stomp on an O-Linemans head one day. He has all the talent in the world, but as much as he might deny it, he is a dirty player. I think he is going to learn real fast over the next few years when he starts getting fined and suspended. Plus I dont think he will be as motivated once he gets payed, so I think the Haynesworth comparison in perfect. He isn't even on my draft board.

IDK. Seems to me that Dan Snyder has learned his lesson and that Al Davis might not be around anymore by that time (rumor is that there aren't enough virgins left in the world to keep him supplied with transfusions). And Childress is flipping burgers somewhere, so he's out as a potential victim, er, "valued trade partner".

;)

Don't worry, McDaniels will be coaching somwhere :D

Yup, someone in the middle of round one wants Fairley and is doing their best to get him to slide to them.

Which version? Tennessee or Washington?

Any idea's?

Skins? (ha, ha)

HOU, Minny, STL.

Possibly JAX?

Seems a bit doubtful that one of the NT-needy "new" 3-4 teams would be thinking of him for that spot. He doesn't seem quite right for it, but ... IDK.

Skins? (ha, ha)

HOU, Minny, STL.

Possibly JAX?

Seems a bit doubtful that one of the NT-needy "new" 3-4 teams would be thinking of him for that spot. He doesn't seem quite right for it, but ... IDK.
I was thinking along the lines of a local coach.

I was thinking along the lines of a local coach.

I'd have my doubts, but based entirely on the "great gap-shooter, inconsistent tracking ball location" thing that I've heard.

I'd have my doubts, but based entirely on the "great gap-shooter, inconsistent tracking ball location" thing that I've heard.
The inconsistent ball tracking is actually a periodic failure to play his assignment, also called free lancing in some circles. Not that big an issue with a strong locker room and coaching staff ... which might be the case in NE. 24 TFL to go with his sacks doesn't indicate an inability to find the ball ... still rumors are so much more fun. :D

Lots of team's benefitting from these rumors. Makes you wonder who is putting them out there?

Lots of team's benefitting from these rumors. Makes you wonder who is putting them out there?
On the NFL side, I'll give you 32 guesses ... how many agents are there?

The inconsistent ball tracking is actually a periodic failure to play his assignment, also called free lancing in some circles. Not that big an issue with a strong locker room and coaching staff ... which might be the case in NE. 24 TFL to go with his sacks doesn't indicate an inability to find the ball ... still rumors are so much more fun. :D

There was a time when our locker room was rock solid, with a lot of veteran leaders and there was a lot of peer pressure to tow the line.

But today's locker room seems much younger and with much fewer leaders. I mean who in the linebacker meeting room is providing the leadership/direction that Willie did?

And who in the CB meeting room is providing anything resembling leadership?

There was a time when our locker room was rock solid, with a lot of veteran leaders and there was a lot of peer pressure to tow the line.

But today's locker room seems much younger and with much fewer leaders. I mean who in the linebacker meeting room is providing the leadership/direction that Willie did?

And who in the CB meeting room is providing anything resembling leadership?
Unquestionably the young linebacker corps doesn't have a veteran leader with the pedigree Willie or Tedy brought. Yet, with the linebackers, I don't see it being a group with a lot of room for division. I think those kids are tight and Mayo has a good handle on things. It probably helped for Spikes to come into NE just when his video broke and have Mayo step up and coach him to focus on football and let the rest flow in one ear and out the other. I see that as a bonding period for the two of them.

Bodden was around the team if not on the field. Just as with the young linebackers, the young corners aren't a bunch of rabble rousers, there just isn't as many flash points as in some teams past. Coach Boyer seems to growing into the job nicely. I also think James Sanders has a calming effect for the entire secondary off the field and on - Rodney's praise of him back in his second or third year seems spot on today.

Safety and D-line seem to be where the greatest friction has been happening. Vince has stepped up, Pepper is Pepper, Ty Warren back on the field will help, and I give props to Gerard Warren last season. Deadrick, for all his issues in college, wasn't too much of a problem, we'll see what a year brings. As for safety, I see Matt Patricia's lateral move as a sign BB is putting some more pressure on the group to grow into their potential.

Finally, the fact coach Belichick is the default DC puts the strongest personality on the coaching staff closer to any problems with the youth on defense.

If NE were to draft Fairley, I'd not worry. I think this team could cope.

You could say they are rumors, but you can also make a strong case that they are true. The background of Nick Fairley is not one that is unknown. He went to a CC because of his grades and then came to Auburn and didn't really do much his first year. One of the reasons is because of his lack of work ethic (which Ron Brace had the same issue with). He has very poor practice habits and they've continued even this year where he dominated against competition. He is not a guy who likes to go hard in practice and that's been made known. He's got a lot of talent as a 1 gap penetrator and his explosiveness and burst is of great quality, yet his technique is lacking often and as noted previously, that comes from a lack of work ethic. It is hard to trust a guy with a one year wonder label on him, especially a guy with the questions that he has.

Last edited:
You could say they are rumors, but you can also make a strong case that they are true. The background of Nick Fairley is not one that is unknown. He went to a CC because of his grades and then came to Auburn and didn't really do much his first year. One of the reasons is because of his lack of work ethic (which Ron Brace had the same issue with). He has very poor practice habits and they've continued even this year where he dominated against competition. He is not a guy who likes to go hard in practice and that's been made known. He's got a lot of talent as a 1 gap penetrator and his explosiveness and burst is of great quality, yet his technique is lacking often and as noted previously, that comes from a lack of work ethic. It is hard to trust a guy with a one year wonder label on him, especially a guy with the questions that he has.

Actually, when Fairley came into Auburn as a 1st year sophomore new HC Chizik had him playing back up which would be natural, I think. Fairley's line coach, Tracey Rocker has said Fairley lacked confidence in the beginning but never had any issues with Fairley's work ethic. As Fairley gained confidence his ability came through to the point that Chizik told him he would start as a junior. Fairley worked hard and seized the opportunity with gusto.

Remember, this is the time of year for misinformation and disinformation. Here's an article by John McClain of the Houston Chronicle who has interviewed Fairley twice and came away impressed with the young buck.

Fairley will answer questions during his 8 visits | NFL | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Actually, when Fairley came into Auburn as a 1st year sophomore new HC Chizik had him playing back up which would be natural, I think. Fairley's line coach, Tracey Rocker has said Fairley lacked confidence in the beginning but never had any issues with Fairley's work ethic. As Fairley gained confidence his ability came through to the point that Chizik told him he would start as a junior. Fairley worked hard and seized the opportunity with gusto.

Remember, this is the time of year for misinformation and disinformation. Here's an article by John McClain of the Houston Chronicle who has interviewed Fairley twice and came away impressed with the young buck.

I know from a good source that is false. Coaches won't say negative things about their players to the media but I know for sure that is false.

I know from a good source that is false. Coaches won't say negative things about their players to the media but I know for sure that is false.

I've followed Fairley very closely this year. I don't know how you 'know for sure' or who your 'good source' is but I have never read anything but positives from Rocker and Chizik about Nick Fairley going back to last year. I encourage you to read McClain's article. If Fairley drops, I'd love to see him in a Pats' uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents