PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slowing Down the Giants DE's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBaronPatriot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Let's face it, a huge key to this game will be whether or not Brady feels comfortable in the pocket. In 2007 he had pressure on him all day long, and didn't have time to make reads and this led to a certain level of discomfort in the pocket and prevented Brady from getting in a rythym. Yes it's a different team (of course) but any QB under pressure is going to have a long tough day.

I think the key to this game is slowing down the Giants highly formidable pass rush. On 3rd and long they line up Tuck, Kiwanuka, Osi, and Jason Pierre Paul and they cause havoc!

I would employ Gronk and chip JPP. What's a chip? Gronk was kind enough to demonstrate what a TEXTBOOK chip block looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhamDo7F9yI&feature=player_embedded

The best part of this block is that when a defender sees the man that just de-cleated him lined up in the same position as before he is going to protect himself first, and pass rush second. Chipping their DEs is going to be KEY since it will allow the pass rush to be slowed down a bit and make life easier for our Tackles.

Inside, Mankins, Connelly, and Waters are going to need to handle whoever they put inside. Usually Tuck and JPP.

How would you slow down their DEs?

The inside rush by the Giants in 2007 is what caused all the problems. I think the Pats are better built to handle it this time.

The Giants offense scares me the most. I jut hope the Pats defense comes to play!

People are too locked into the 2007 Super Bowl game. The more relevant game was the one played in Nov. The Giants got to Brady twice, but he threw for 340 yards. The OL has improved as the season has progressed. Another fun stat from that game was the 4 turnovers which can't happen again, no matter how they were caused. Despite what happened yesterday turnovers still matter.

Run the ball and put yourself in 3rd and short situations. Our guards and TEs can victimize the Giants LBs and DTs. Their "four aces" package which gets a ton of attention and hype is overly exaggerated. Tuck has been dropping into coverage a lot when they do that anyway. I'm a lot less worried about up the gut pressure from this Giants team. Canty and Joseph aren't as good as Robbins and Cofield were. Jaquan Williams and Blackburn are a huge downgrade from Mitchell and Pierce.

You know, I just went to NFL.com and watched the highlights of that game... and it did everything to eleviate some of my concerns. For some reason the idea that we can't play with this team was taking over, and reality sings a different tune.

We didn't score enough, by any means, but Brady was able to throw for 340 yards. but the Giants did get a lot of turnovers. Our Defense was able to play with their offense.

We secure the ball, and were in this game to win it.

You know, I just went to NFL.com and watched the highlights of that game... and it did everything to eleviate some of my concerns. For some reason the idea that we can't play with this team was taking over, and reality sings a different tune.

We didn't score enough, by any means, but Brady was able to throw for 340 yards. but the Giants did get a lot of turnovers. Our Defense was able to play with their offense.

I went back and looked at the play-by-play. Forgot Pats committed a huge interference penalty on NY's game-winning drive. I wish NFL Network would replay this game instead of the 07 SB on a continuous loop for the next 2 weeks.

This Giants team is the easiest Super Bowl opponent we have had to date. They are erratic and very volatile. As quickly as they have been dominating they can also snap back to the way they played against Washington twice and Seattle. For all the hype going into this game it could end up being one of the most lopsided Super Bowls ever.

I went back and looked at the play-by-play. Forgot Pats committed a huge interference penalty on NY's game-winning drive. I wish NFL Network would replay this game instead of the 07 SB on a continuous loop for the next 2 weeks.

In the Playoffs, those ticky tack interference calls won't be called. And I expect Brady to throw one INT, but I don't expect fumbles on special teams, and strip sacks...

A quick arrow or two to the knee should do the trick.

Do you think the refs would notice if our O-Lineman hid some brass knuckles under their finger tape?

Is Jeff Gillooly available?

Last edited:
Your frustrate them with quick throws from a spread offense. I actually think this team is better suited to handle them then the 2007 group. I don't picture Brady sitting back there for 8 seconds waiting for Moss to get open 45 yards down the field again.

As far as all the talk of the Washington game, go back and watch those highlights if you want a good laugh. Nicks dropped two touchdowns, a ball hit off a Redskins head and was then intercepted, a holding at the 1 yard line after a td was reversed. They could not have possibly played worse.

Your frustrate them with quick throws from a spread offense. I actually think this team is better suited to handle them then the 2007 group. I don't picture Brady sitting back there for 8 seconds waiting for Moss to get open 45 yards down the field again.

As far as all the talk of the Washington game, go back and watch those highlights if you want a good laugh. Nicks dropped two touchdowns, a ball hit off a Redskins head and was then intercepted, a holding at the 1 yard line after a td was reversed. They could not have possibly played worse.

Tell that to this years Green Bay Packers and us in Super Bowl 42. Brady standing back in shotgun all game is NOT the answer to the Giants defense.

The inside rush by the Giants in 2007 is what caused all the problems. I think the Pats are better built to handle it this time.

The Giants offense scares me the most. I jut hope the Pats defense comes to play!

This is exactly right.

Tell that to this years Green Bay Packers and us in Super Bowl 42. Brady standing back in shotgun all game is NOT the answer to the Giants defense.

Ummm, the Packers turned the ball over 4 times yet still put up 388 yards of offense, so they were doing something right.

Also, you replied to a specific line in the guy's post, yet failed to understand what he was saying. He actually said exactly what you said in the very next line when he said he doesn't see Brady sitting back in the pocket all day cuz he is advocating quick throws from a spread, which will take advantage of the Giants' below average linebackers.

So you basically agreed with the guy.

I don't know if you meant alleviate or elevate.

I can't remember if Osi played against the Pats in the regular season this year? The problem Solder has is going against the fast, athletic guys... unfortunately that's everyone on the Giants DL. I really hope that Vollmer is able to play in this game. I really think that he would be better at the RT spot for the SB rather than Solder but only if he's healthy enough to play.

Then they could use Solder as an extra TE to block while Gronk, Wes, and Branch work the middle/outside of the field and Hernandez stretching the field through the seam.

I can't remember if Osi played against the Pats in the regular season this year? The problem Solder has is going against the fast, athletic guys... unfortunately that's everyone on the Giants DL. I really hope that Vollmer is able to play in this game. I really think that he would be better at the RT spot for the SB rather than Solder but only if he's healthy enough to play.

Then they could use Solder as an extra TE to block while Gronk, Wes, and Branch work the middle/outside of the field and Hernandez stretching the field through the seam.

Osi, Tuck, JPP all played in the first game.

This Giants team is the easiest Super Bowl opponent we have had to date. They are erratic and very volatile. As quickly as they have been dominating they can also snap back to the way they played against Washington twice and Seattle. For all the hype going into this game it could end up being one of the most lopsided Super Bowls ever.

Nice spin. I'm not buying any of it. Eli is light years ahead of 2007. Cruz and nicks are infinitely better than burress and smith and the defense is playing great.

Osi, Tuck, JPP all played in the first game.

and they only had 2 sacks and 3 QB hits. I dont have the stats on pressures but we lost that game entirely on turnovers. We should have been up at least 6-0 at the half in a game we lost by 4 and then Brady threw a pick on the first drive of the second half on a 2nd and 3. Very next drive Brady gets stripped deep in our own territory and its 10-0. We beat ourselves that game. The key to beating the Giants is seemingly to have a lead so big in the 4th quarter that Eli cant lead one of his blessed by Jesus miracle drives. because he had 2 TD drives in SB42 and he had 2 in that game. Before that in both games they didnt do much of anything on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes