PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Six For Saturday - McDaniels the Key to New England's Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Ian Logue

One of the biggest things to watch in the coming months is going to be what happens with Josh McDaniels, who most analysts believe will, once again, be high on the list of teams who will be looking for new head coaches.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Good point about needing McDaniels now more than ever to develop a new backup QB.

Reactions: Ian

Ian Logue

One of the biggest things to watch in the coming months is going to be what happens with Josh McDaniels, who most analysts believe will, once again, be high on the list of teams who will be looking for new head coaches.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
Really good job of both writing and topic selection.

1. I'm so tired of the whole Guerrero situation. What a tempest in a teapot. This was a simple logistic decision that happens ALL the time in the league. There are dozens of players who have "their guys" to help them get through the season and a few will eventually come in conflict with the team's training staff.

The ONLY effects that BB's decision will have on the team is that the guys who get treatment at TB12 will now have to walk 300 yds to their facility (or a 1 minute car drive ;) ), and when Moses Cabrera tell them to do a set of squats, they will just have to do the damned squats.

From that unbridled speculation has gone from Guerrero bad mouthing BB, and Bill leaving for the Giants, this is why JG is in SF, and the Pats are coming apart at the seams.

2. Another non-story that unfortunately will re-occur every time the Niners win a game or Jimmy throws for 300+ yds. Hey, the fact JG might become a perennial all pro, doesn't change the FACT that the contract clock had simply run out on his time in NE. You DON'T pay $25+MM to a guy who is the 2nd best QB on the team. You just don't. It's THAT simple.....and unfortunate. Well I guess we can blame Alex Guerrero for that too. If it wasn't for him helping Brady maintain into his 40's, then JG would be the QB next year. :rolleyes:

Another thing that isn't being mentioned enough is the fact that JG has had 3 and half years to learn his craft...and he learned from the best. He's ready to play. It might not have gone as smoothly if he'd had to play a lot in his first couple of years.

3. I loved THIS part of the Britt interview best. In it he mentions that with the Pats you are just as likely to get an "attaboy" from the coaches and your team mates for a good block, that no one else will see, and never get on a stat sheet, than you are for making a great catch.

This shows how critical the small details are, not only to the coaches but more importantly the players as well. EVERYONE appreciates the details here. That was a great insight that most people don't see.

4. I'm not as worried about how QB development will be, if/when Josh leaves. Josh became the QB in 2004. Anyone know who the QB coach was before Josh? That would be BB himself. IIRC he actually had the title from 2000-2002. In 2003 there was no official QB (so I imagine it was a cooperative effort between Bill and Josh), and then Josh was named QB coach the next season.

Life will be a LOT easier for the Pats offense if Josh winds up staying. However, if he doesn't, while it will hurt, it won't be a calamity. I'm sure BB has been planning for this day for a while now.

5. It's just ANOTHER little insight into why the Pats are good at developing players AFTER they get here. They recognize all the ways they can get their players to reach their potentials and get better.

I think it been in THIS season that I'm hearing more and more the recognition that the Pats can beat you simply because they are coached and prepared better that their opponents. Injuries don't matter, other teams' strengths don't matter, bad calls don't matter. FINALLY, I think the Pats organization is getting recognized for the job that is done and why the Pats have been able to keep this up for so long.

We've heard it, of course, from time to time over the years, but this season, it seems to be the constant narrative by the media. You just have to listen to Lombardi. Every positive example he uses had a NE basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
When you're at the top, especially for a long time everyone wants to knock you down when they get a chance, sometimes they'll just make stuff up to take shots. BB has everyone so locked in that none of it has any effect on the team. It really is amazing what he's created here.

Regarding topic 5), it was interesting to read Bill speak on the subject, but disappointing that he didn't name anybody who had actually improved themselves that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back