Sign The Beast XXXIII -- TE Jermaine Gresham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercules Rockefeller

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Jermaine Gresham is a large man, he's an athletic man, and he's a two time Pro Bowler who has made lots of plays in the NFL. He can block, and he'll be 27 in the 2015 season. For these reasons, sign this beast.

Jermaine Gresham is a large, athletic person. He is only 27 years old. He is a good blocker, has some solid statistical production and has been to two Pro Bowls. He is better than Hooman. For these reasons, sign this beast.

Curious to see how much money he wants for his hands of stone..

Jermaine Gresham is a large, athletic person. He is only 27 years old. He is a good blocker, has some solid statistical production and has been to two Pro Bowls. He is better than Hooman. For these reasons, sign this beast.
I've watched him drop way too many passes.

I'd rather resign Jermaine Wiggins.

Is Charles Clay still un-signed? If so, that's the TE to go for IMHO.

Gresham's hands make Ben Watson looked like a stud receiver.

FearfulLastingAmericanavocet.gif

CLANK!!!

Presenting the sequel to The Brady 6... The Gronkowski 1!

Now that similarly accomplished beast Scott Chandler is a free agent, I'd be equally inclined to bring him in, and perhaps more so due to a likely lower cost.

I will say that the narrative that Jermaine Gresham has hands like a snake is somewhat curious to me and not vetted by any actual data. He is no Tony Gonzalez or Gronk, but he caught 78.2% of his targets this year and was credited with two drops. Last year he was credited with 3. The drop passes statistics say he has better hands than Chandler. I know he dropped a big pass against the Pats this season so he drops every pass and Chandler plays well against the Pats so all he does is catch touchdowns always, but I don't see why it would be a bad idea to kick the tires on a guy who's been a solid starter in the league for multiple years, is durable, and would fit in well as a 2nd TE.

He wouldn't need to be anything more than better than Hooman (check) and not too expensive (we'll see) for it to work for me.

Last edited:
Get Chandler who's cheaper and has an actual pair of hands :cool:

Is Charles Clay still un-signed? If so, that's the TE to go for IMHO.

He had the transition tag placed on him. On top of that, he has multiple parties that are interested in him. I'd have a hard time imagining the Patriots getting into a bidding war with the other teams in the AFC East.

Get Chandler who's cheaper and has an actual pair of hands :cool:

I just looked up his drop rate for the last two seasons, and Gresham has been credited with a total of 5 drops, 2 this season. Patriots fans I'm sure watched every game Gresham played in, or rather just remember the one time they watched him and he dropped a wide open touchdown. He does not have hands of stone, by any reliable measure, only by people's obviously faulty memories.

Chandler and his actual pair of hands had double the drops on 8 fewer targets than Gresham this year. He's older and slower and less athletic. I'd take either of them, but the idea that Gresham is a scrub who cannot catch is based on nothing other than people's perceptions.

The only tight ends with 50 targets or more and a lower drop rate than Gresham this year were Gates, Jordan Reed, Witten and Larry Donnell. So congratulations on your narrative, but it based on nothing but personal memories. Now let me put on some shades and make a condescending smirk.

I really don't see him coming cheap enough. But I have little doubt hed be productive in our system.

I really don't see him coming cheap enough. But I have little doubt hed be productive in our system.

Thanks for the reply, that's my concern too, I see him probably getting a contract similar to Pettigrew last year (who MayoClinic trumpeted most uncontroversially because he hadn't dropped a pass against the Patriots). In the event that he gets squeezed out I'd think he'd make a good backup, but I think you're right Prime that he'll likely get decent money to start somewhere. As much as Hooman has worked hard and done his job, I'd like to see an upgrade at his spot if possible. Chandler would work, if Rob Housler is healthy I'd look at him too.

Have the Pats ever even expressed any interest in Gresham? Pre 2010 draft was there any talk about him?

Thanks for the reply, that's my concern too, I see him probably getting a contract similar to Pettigrew last year (who MayoClinic trumpeted most uncontroversially because he hadn't dropped a pass against the Patriots). In the event that he gets squeezed out I'd think he'd make a good backup, but I think you're right Prime that he'll likely get decent money to start somewhere. As much as Hooman has worked hard and done his job, I'd like to see an upgrade at his spot if possible. Chandler would work, if Rob Housler is healthy I'd look at him too.

I think that any of these options would be a necessary upgrade, depending on the value that the deal provided.

Gresham will be over paid for.

He'll be paid for his two (underserved) pro-bowls instead of his actual production, which is lacking.

Seriously, how does he make the pro-bowl in 2011 with 56/596/6 over a certain criminal with 79/910/7?

Based on those subpar numbers he has put up in that Offense with questionable hands to boot I think Gresham will still be a FA come June. I think Scott Chandler and Jordon Cameron are better and will be coveted way before him.

I'll give the guy a pass for playing with Dalton, you can pick his numbers and multiply by 3 projecting him playing with a good QB.

Would love to have Gresham OR Chandler... I would probably prefer Gresham since I think he is more talented but I would really be happy with either one. Chandler is probably a good deal cheaper so he is probably the better signing from that standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes