PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we have drafted Clay Matthews last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Batman

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just to start this is not a sky is falling thread. We all know we need a olb and a pass rush, the guy can certainly rush the passer. The kid seems to be turning into a beast. He was projected to be picked by us on many mocks and taken useing a pick we had. He may not have been as productive in our system.

My question is do you think we should have picked him as the obvious replacement for mike verbal?

I was very happy with the draft last year so this isn't me saying we can't draft we have just made some poor choices higher and got better value at lower levels.

Again???

We didn't draft him, lets get over it!

Hell, I was rooting for them to take Matthews, Laurinitis, Connor, anybody the last few years. Hopefully if the opportunity's there to take the BC kid, they will. The fact is they've needed linebackers for awhile now.

I know, In Bill We Trust, but sometimes I wonder where his head is when it comes time to draft linebackers. What did he see in Spikes and the rest of these guys that isn't there in Matthews and Laurinitis and the rest?

Just to start this is not a sky is falling thread. We all know we need a olb and a pass rush, the guy can certainly rush the passer. The kid seems to be turning into a beast. He was projected to be picked by us on many mocks and taken useing a pick we had. He may not have been as productive in our system.

My question is do you think we should have picked him as the obvious replacement for mike verbal?

I was very happy with the draft last year so this isn't me saying we can't draft we have just made some poor choices higher and got better value at lower levels.

i agree. he would have made a much bigger impact than Chung.

Heinsight is 20/20.Happens alot heck 31 teams passed on Brady.We had a great draft and ther 2010 one will be big in the teams success now and down the road.

Last edited:
Hell, I was rooting for them to take Matthews, Laurinitis, Connor, anybody the last few years. Hopefully if the opportunity's there to take the BC kid, they will. The fact is they've needed linebackers for awhile now.

I know, In Bill We Trust, but sometimes I wonder where his head is when it comes time to draft linebackers. What did he see in Spikes and the rest of these guys that isn't there in Matthews and Laurinitis and the rest?

Let's hope what he sees is there if the guy has an impact similar to that at the start of his second year I will be over the moon

I forget the exact run of trades, but, IIFC, the 21st pick in the 2009 draft netted the Patriots Butler, Tate, Edelman and Gronk.

So, as much as I'd love to have Clay Matthews, I have no complaints that we didn't draft him.

Now if we had only drafted Beason or Woodley instead of Merriweather...

Heinsight is 20/20.Happens alot heck 31 teams passed on Brady.We had a great draft and ther 2010 one will be big in the teams success now and down the road.

Right. There isn't enough time in the day to discuss players that this board (myself included) wanted to draft who did nothing in the NFL.

Haven't you heard: He doesn't fit the system.

Haven't you heard: He doesn't fit the system.

Exactly, guys like Curtis Lofton and Clay Matthews don't fit this system, they wouldn't be as successful in this system :eek:

Exactly, guys like Curtis Lofton and Clay Matthews don't fit this system, they wouldn't be as successful in this system :eek:

A converted DE is much better for our system. :D

And no one here is worried about a USC guy on a team full of steroid heads.

He went from walk-on, 195 pounds, to All-World 240 pounds seemingly overnight. I am not hoping the kids fails or anything but I am leery of these Brian Cushing types.

And no one here is worried about a USC guy on a team full of steroid heads.

He went from walk-on, 195 pounds, to All-World 240 pounds seemingly overnight. I am not hoping the kids fails or anything but I am leery of these Brian Cushing types.

This. This guy couldn't get on the field, and all the sudden puts on 40 pounds of muscle in his last year at USC and has one productive year. This guy had (and has) red flags all over him. Turns out, he is a complete stud, but it remains to be seen how much of that may be attributed to the Juice.

he doesn't fit the scheme.

but these days, maybe the scheme needs to change.

I have no problem with the players the pats wound up getting last year

For all that have Forgoten Matthews had possible STEROID issues, Thats why we passed on him. Along with Maualuega and the other LB from USC Cushing.

Last edited:

Thats a hard question. I mean if you asking if Belicheck is looking at what a great job he is doing and is feeling like.. damn.. I should have drafted that kid?? I doubt it.

I think we look at players and draft them according to our own value placed on them according to how they will fit our scheme.

The way we were running a lot of 4-3 last year I thought they would make a move for Aron Kampman who's playing very well in jacksonville.

of course I am not always happy with BB decisions.. I am not sold on Meriweather... at ALL!

No regrets. It is easy to look know and criticize..... but the Pats over the last couple of years have drafted excellently.

Jump on Chung already???

He has comparisons to Rodney Harrison:rolleyes:

For all that have Forgoten Matthews had possible STEROID issues, Thats why we passed on him. Along with Maualuega and the other LB from USC Cushing.

While rumors circulated about Matthews and steroids, it was a fact that Aaron Hernandez is a pothead. That didn't stop us from drafting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes