PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we have drafted Clay Matthews last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all that have Forgoten Matthews had possible STEROID issues, Thats why we passed on him. Along with Maualuega and the other LB from USC Cushing.

Agreed. I think this had to be an issue. I never wanted him or any of those USC guys really. Well, at least once Matthews went from a late round sleeper to a day 1 pick. That said, his 6 sacks in 2 games so far is impressive.

It still puzzles me to this day and they will live with it.Everyone including experts had Matthews going to the pats.Considering the success that he has in his family u would think they would have drafted him!!!

The issue is drafting for value. Part of value is the likelihood of success playing for the patriots. There are many boom or bust players. There are many players that work out and many that do not.

There many obvious examples of top 10 picks that worked out and those that didn't.

So no, Matthews at 26 didn't have more value for us than pick 41, pick 73 and pick 83. Obviously, Belichick did well to get Butler, Tate, Grankowski and Edelman. We had to throw in a 6th to move up for Grankowski, but that doesn't matter much.

- Should they have drafted Matthews? Yes
- Did most people think he'd turn out to be a stud? No

I watched almost every USC game and there wasn't too many people that were thinking he was going to be a stud in the NFL. In fact, he didn't play that much until his senior season and didn't show nearly the ability he is showing now. If I remember correctly, I don't even think he was a full time player his senior season. In addition, USC beat up on a lot of bad teams, so it makes it even harder to evaluate players.

To the people that think I think BB does everything wrong, I wanted the Pats to stay away from Matthews and I was dead wrong.

It's painful watching this guy annihilate opposing QB's while the Pats are struggling to defend the pass.

I like Chung, but I didn't agree with were he was drafted. Also, it's even more painful to know the Pats could've had both.

But in the end, I think we're all freaking out because the Pats lost. And every time the Pats lose, people will question why the Pats haven't addressed the pass rush.

Last edited:
Thats quantity over quality.That approach has hurt this team.We need players to make an impact.

Thats quantity over quality.That approach has hurt this team.We need players to make an impact.

Instead of an OLB making an impact, we have a RT (and future LT), two WR's and a TE making an impact.

Four > One.

Who says you should DRAFT on 100% certainties?

When a player goes from 195 to 40, and his buddy right next to him does the same (and exhibits Gynecomastia and breakouts) then yu say, you know what, this might not be such a good idea.

We are talking FOOTBALL here are we not?

This isn't a court of law.

So guilty by association. So, what's that say about anyone close to Rodney.

Look, lots of players get that big during their high school years and college. Look at how many OLB prospects go into college under 200 pounds and how much they weigh leaving. And these are 5-star and 4-star recruits, not walk-on freshmen with an NFL lineage in their DNA.

But what's it matter anyway. We don't have him. Packers do. Nothing can be done about that now, but complain about Butler and hope the rest of the draft class continues to improve.

Belichick probably would have drafted Butler at 26 if he couldn't get the trade he got. Belichick had Butler rated as a 1st rounder as most folks did. We needed a corner and our man was available.

Belichick judged that he could trade down and still get Butler. He was right and ended up also getting Tate, Edelman and Grankowski.

Personally, I believe that Butler is progressing well. I think that he would ahve been a fine nickel this year. Unfortunately, he will need to do more.

Belichick probably would have drafted Butler at 26 if he couldn't get the trade he got. Belichick had Butler rated as a 1st rounder as most folks did. We needed a corner and our man was available.

Belichick judged that he could trade down and still get Butler. He was right and ended up also getting Tate, Edelman and Grankowski.

Personally, I believe that Butler is progressing well. I think that he would ahve been a fine nickel this year. Unfortunately, he will need to do more.
As bad as Butler is playing, Asante Samuel was awful his first year starting in 2005. The reason why he wasn't talked about as much was because Duane Starks was outshining him. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Then out of nowhere, Samuel became the ball hawk-playmaking CB he is today.

I have confidence he will turn it around.

Last edited:
So guilty by association. So, what's that say about anyone close to Rodney.

Look, lots of players get that big during their high school years and college. Look at how many OLB prospects go into college under 200 pounds and how much they weigh leaving. And these are 5-star and 4-star recruits, not walk-on freshmen with an NFL lineage in their DNA.

But what's it matter anyway. We don't have him. Packers do. Nothing can be done about that now, but complain about Butler and hope the rest of the draft class continues to improve.

45 pounds.

In one year.

Not high school to 23 years.

We drafted 2 very good players in Chung and Vollmer.

We may have also drafted 2 players who will be very good in Brace & Butler.

Easy to look back at every draft but
we drafted 4 players that we need very badly this year ... I say we drafted well.

Add to that we got Tate, Ingram and Edelman and that would rate at least a B for now with potential to be an A draft.

Last edited:
Hands down.

Reflexblue, you can keep Dr. StrangeGlove, I'll take Dr. Strangelove.
I should have told him to go Tug his Noodle. I didn't catch the Glove part in his post.

Last edited:
Let's hope Bill never does a draft day trade with Packers again. This is twice now that they have made much better choices than Bill. Next year just draft the best damn player availble, this team could use a RB, OT, OG, WR, DE, and OLB

All i know is that his family genes where very good when it came to the nfl.

Yes, Belichick had a terrible day??????
You do know that of the players drafted in the 2009 draft, we have 3 defensive starters, 1 starter on offense, 1 starter on special teams, and 3 top backups (#4 DL, #3 WR and #4 WR). And one of the picks was traded forward for an additional top player in 2010 draft.

I guess that meeting 8 needs with solid players isn't enough for you. BTW, 6 of this year's picks are already significant contributers. There is a name for folks who celebrate their team making a few good picks instead of the patriot (and Colt) approach. the name for that type of fan is "jets fan".

Let's hope Bill never does a draft day trade with Packers again. This is twice now that they have made much better choices than Bill. Next year just draft the best damn player availble, this team could use a RB, OT, OG, WR, DE, and OLB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft