PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should the Pats carry 2 backup QBs for the rest of TB12's career?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should the Pats continue carrying 2 backup QBs going forward?

• Total voters

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First, let's stipulate the obvious: TB12 will almost certainly be a Patriot in 2017.

Second: there is a significantly greater than zero chance that either Garoppolo or Brissett will not.

So, for the sake of argument, let's set aside the question of who they would be. IOW, let's stipulate that the Pats can find two backups each year that they want on the roster.

My question: should the Pats continue carrying two backup QBs for the rest of Brady's career, or should they stick with their general practice of carrying just one?

I'm fine with whatever BB does. I think a developmental QB on the practice squad would be perfectly acceptable insurance for now rather than tying up an actual roster spot on the 53.

Yes, all we need is for goodell to comeup wit another witch hunt

Yes. We need to be in the QB business. I will ride the TB12 train till the end but we need to be ready for when it ends. Nothing is forever.

I'm fine with whatever BB does. I think a developmental QB on the practice squad would be perfectly acceptable insurance for now rather than tying up an actual roster spot on the 53.

Thing is, since Hoyer arrived in 2009, more often than not they've gone with two QBs on the 53, and that's it.

Thing is, since Hoyer arrived in 2009, more often than not they've gone with two QBs on the 53, and that's it.

I agree. Brady has always been a guarantee, though. Even though there's no sign of decline, he won't be here forever. If Jacoby will be his primary backup and possibly his heir apparent, it might be good business to have a plan B in case Brissett regresses.

We have to realize that the starter gets the majority of snaps in practice and the backup works with the scout team.

That leaves zero snaps for the third qb.

How much better can a guy get by watching?

We have to realize that the starter gets the majority of snaps in practice and the backup works with the scout team.

That leaves zero snaps for the third qb.

How much better can a guy get by watching?

I'm not trying to be facetious when I say this, but if that's the case, why does almost every team in the league have at least three QBs on their payroll? (Either 3 on the 53 or 2 on the 53 + 1 on the PS.)

I'm a 2 QB guy. However it may be time to have three. And by three, I mean two backups with upside. Whenever TB12 leaves, whether due to performance, injury or whatever, it could be unexpected and it would be nice to have two options. Remember Brady was the #4 QB in 2000 and barely made #2 (over #3) in 2001. I like Brissett quite a lot. But if we were to trade JG, I would probably draft a QB in the 3rd, 4th round and see who develops better between him and Brissett.

I'm a 2 QB guy. However it may be time to have three. And by three, I mean two backups with upside. Whenever TB12 leaves, whether due to performance, injury or whatever, it could be unexpected and it would be nice to have two options. Remember Brady was the #4 QB in 2000 and barely made #2 (over #3) in 2001. I like Brissett quite a lot. But if we were to trade JG, I would probably draft a QB in the 3rd, 4th round and see who develops better between him and Brissett.
Agreed but I dont think its necessarily a round thing, I think they should find a guy mid to late whom they can take as a lotto ticket pick

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back