PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi OT: Todd Haley refuses to shake Josh McDaniels' hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media is clueless. Haley simply was too smart to fall for the classic stinkpalm.

Haley is the John Tortorella of the NFL.

For you hockey fans out there.

I really do not understand the media's obsession with a post-game handshake. I guess they would prefer that each team gather in a circle right after the game, shout out "2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate" and then everybody line up in single file and shake each other's hand little league style. Now apparently Haley feels compelled to apologize for it so he can move on.

Haley apologizes | Red Zone | Kansas City Star

Chiefs coach Todd Haley apologized today at his news conference for refusing to shake the hand of his Denver counterpart, Josh McDaniels, after Sunday's 49-29 loss to the Broncos in Denver.

''I do believe in doing what's right and that was not right,'' Haley said. ''I probably let the emotions of the situation get me too much. I apologize to the fans and to Denver and to Josh.

''It's necessary to let everybody know that I would do that over again at the end and that it wasn't the right thing to do.''

20101115__98687679JE029_KANSASCITY~p1_300.jpg

Last edited:
I guess they would prefer that each team gather in a circle right after the game, shout out "2-4-6-8, who do we appreciate" and then everybody line up in single file and shake each other's hand little league style.

Sure why not.

The kids look up to the NFL players. Yet the behavior may NFL players exhibit would get a kid kicked out of PeeWee and what many NFL coaches do would get that parent banned from ever even being allowed to watch the game.

While I am sure not everyone would agree with it, I would have no problem with actually mandating the same single file everyone shake hand rule that is required at most Jr. levels of the sport.

Last edited:
There is already a thread about this or there was.

While I am sure not everyone would agree with it, I would have no problem with actually mandating the same single file everyone shake hand rule that is required at most Jr. levels of the sport.

Probably a bit too long of a line in football, but the coach's handshake is a nice proxy.

Every hockey fan has had to watch his or her team walk the handshake line after a bitter disappointment. Winning the Stanley Cup is unusual -- so it's how most seasons end.

It's probably one of the coolest, non-hackneyed traditions in sport.

The media's obsession with these sorts of things is over the top and can make it seem asurd. But we shouldn't let the media's faults distract us from a pretty difficult point to argue: sportsmanship is good.

"There's alot of **** being talked about you"

Damn, I wonder what set dude off

Any idea what was said?

Childish. If his team was on its game they wouldn't have been blown out in the first place. I don't care if he personally let up last year, the objective of football is to score points on offense and restrict scoring opportunities on defense.

Pathetic, what a baby.

I hope they get blown out again.

Pathetic, what a baby.

I hope they get blown out again.

My God the judgment. Guys gets blown out, gets pissed, refuses to shake, and apologizes. It's far from pathetic. He manned up and said he was wrong and that he is sorry, and that's not what a baby does, either.

People here act like they never get angry when they lose badly

Probably a bit too long of a line in football, but the coach's handshake is a nice proxy.

Not a full fledged handshake like a wedding receiving line. Just line both teams up QB in the front, head coach in the rear. Both teams jog by each other doing the high five slap saying "good game". Then at the end the head coaches are the only ones doing an actual handshake. I have seen two teams of each with 25 or so 8 year olds do this in under a min. Even with the lines twice as long it would only take 2 mins, 3 mins tops.

In Peewee if you can't handle being a good enough sport to congradulate the other team after you loss, you don't get ice cream. I am sure the pros can handle the same rules and those who can't will donate some money to one of the NFL charities.

I don't know how I feel about this. Don't we like to say that professional sports is a business? My competitors don't shake my hand when I take their customers.

I don't know how I feel about this. Don't we like to say that professional sports is a business? My competitors don't shake my hand when I take their customers.

Are you typically physically close to your competitors at the time? If not the analogy fails.

When I was in sales I rarely was face to face with my competitors. On the occasions we did see each other, we always shook hands and acted very cordial, even congratulating the other on big sales we had competed for.

Attys almost always shake hands after a hearing or trial. Political opponents congratulate the victor after an election. Those are business too.

Pretty much the only time you don't see cordial behavior from competitors post or pre the competition is in war. And despite the occasional analogies to war...it entertainment not war.

I hate sportsmanship

People here act like they never get angry when they lose badly

I second that! Everyone at some point in their life gets angry about something, and has handled the situation wrong at one time or another, whatever the circumstance.

Guys, I thought that picture of Brady on top of this site was Tom Cruise in the The Last Samurai :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents