PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: How best to use Revis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This worries me more than his speed. Even though pretty sure this was an incompletion because Revis had forced him outta bounds, dude has gotta be catching that 10+' in the air.

cropped_REU_2296911.jpg
I scouted ODB predraft in 2014 he was the #3 player on my board behind Clowney and Donald. The kid is an absolute freak, he has the best hands and body control I have ever seen. He will go down as one of the greatest WRs to ever play.

I scouted ODB predraft in 2014 he was the #3 player on my board behind Clowney and Donald. The kid is an absolute freak, he has the best hands and body control I have ever seen. He will go down as one of the greatest WRs to ever play.

I don't doubt it. Only concern is his attitude. I know a couple people around here who work in marketing and at the Giants sponsored gym in the area, so they interact with him occasionally. They mention he's getting to be really full of himself. Hopefully doesn't turn into a diva like Dez.

My contention even last yearhtml
that the play of Revis is exaggerated by the name on the back of his jersey. He played against mostly #2 WRs and was very good but his QB rating allowed last season was about the same as Talib's in 2013 and higher than Logan Ryan's this year.

2009-2011 Revis was incredible, the island got blown over by the hurricane know as micro fracture knee surgery, and now it's just an overpriced vacation spot.

As far as Green goes he was the other teams #1 WR and he had good stats, Revis didn't take him out of the game, if he were still an island he would have shadowed him every snap and shut him down.

Darrelle Revis Steps Up and Shuts Down A.J. Green

I agree the days of Revis Island is over, but he was still great last year.

Green had 5 catches on 7 targets for 81 yards and a touchdown in that game you speak of = 81 catches 1296 yards 16 touchdowns if Green did that every week. I hardly consider that blanketed.
Except that the TD came with Revis out of the game and two more of the five catches happened when the Patriots were in zone. That means he really only caught two passes on Revis and Revis got hosed on an interception where they called him for illegal contact. Your assertion that he was no longer an island since the knee injury was also proven false last season where he took a number of guys out of games. I don't know what Revis you watched last season, with due respect. I don't think it was the same one I watched.

Revis got his final huge contract and his SB ring. It does not surprise me that he appears slightly over the weight limit (LOL) and he is not playing with the same dedication. He is still a very good CB, but I don't think he strikes the same fear in teams that he used to.

Except that the TD came with Revis out of the game and two more of the five catches happened when the Patriots were in zone. That means he really only caught two passes on Revis and Revis got hosed on an interception where they called him for illegal contact. Your assertion that he was no longer an island since the knee injury was also proven false last season where he took a number of guys out of games. I don't know what Revis you watched last season, with due respect. I don't think it was the same one I watched.

Revis got his final huge contract and his SB ring. It does not surprise me that he appears slightly over the weight limit (LOL) and he is not playing with the same dedication. He is still a very good CB, but I don't think he strikes the same fear in teams that he used to.
Who did Revis take out of a game last season?

Revis held Green in check for 2+ quarters before leaving with a hamstring injury. That isn't an island.

Who did Revis take out of a game last season?

Revis held Green in check for 2+ quarters before leaving with a hamstring injury. That isn't an island.
I'm not going to get into a back and forth. I don't know what Revis you watched if you assertion is that he didn't lock anyone up last season. This is the same player that at one point was in the MVP talks, so whatever you say. Maybe you should try to get a job in the NFL if your scouting is so much better than everyone else's. Dude was an All-Pro last season, but he was no good according to you. Cool.:cool:

I'm not going to get into a back and forth. I don't know what Revis you watched if you assertion is that he didn't lock anyone up last season. This is the same player that at one point was in the MVP talks, so whatever you say. Maybe you should try to get a job in the NFL if your scouting is so much better than everyone else's. Dude was an All-Pro last season, but he was no good according to you. Cool.:cool:
I never said he wasn't good, I said he wasn't an island. He seldom covered #1 WRs and when he did he was very good but he was not the Revis who was an island in 2009-2011.

The question was sincere, who did he shutdown last season? There were plenty of WRs he played well against but I don't recall any that he shutdown.

I never said he wasn't good, I said he wasn't an island. He seldom covered #1 WRs and when he did he was very good but he was not the Revis who was an island in 2009-2011.

The question was sincere, who did he shutdown last season? There were plenty of WRs he played well against but I don't recall any that he shutdown.

Calvin Johnson (#1) AND Golden Tate
Brandon Marshall (#1)
Emmanuel Sanders (pretty much Manning's favorite receiver, especially deep)
TY Hilton in the playoffs (though not all game)
Randall Cobb (second half) after Cobb was killing Kyle Arrington

Dude, he was every bit all world last season. He wasn't just another top guy. He was an All Pro and was legit being talked about as a possible league MVP. I just can't agree with your premise. Sorry, bro. Dude was legitimately taking people out of games and you're arguing top guy vs. #2. Newsflash, a #1 v #2 guy in today's NFL is almost indistinguishable the way guys are moving around in different formations. Revis was following guys everywhere on the field and making them irrelevant to their teams. What more did he have to do? That's sincere.

Revis comes with a label "best if used before Feb. 2, 2015"...

Better to get rid of a veteran a year early rather than a year late..

Brandon Marshall (#1)

Dude, he was every bit all world last season. He wasn't just another top guy. He was an All Pro and was legit being talked about as a possible league MVP. I just can't agree with your premise. Sorry, bro. Dude was legitimately taking people out of games and you're arguing top guy vs. #2. Newsflash, a #1 v #2 guy in today's NFL is almost indistinguishable the way guys are moving around in different formations. Revis was following guys everywhere on the field and making them irrelevant to their teams. What more did he have to do? That's sincere.
Did you watch the games? Not even trying to be a **** but Revis did not cover Johnson, Browner did, Marshall was also covered by Browner. Revis never covered Hilton, he was struggling against Sanders so they put Butler in the game to cover him. None of these receivers were taken away on an island by Revis.

Did you watch the games? Not even trying to be a **** but Revis did not cover Johnson, Browner did, Marshall was also covered by Browner. Revis never covered Hilton, he was struggling against Sanders so they put Butler in the game to cover him. None of these receivers were taken away on an island by Revis.

I was at the Bears game last year. Revis was dominate. He was on Marshall the whole game, and Marshall did squat.

Your just cherry picking stats now. Going back looking at the stat line and seeing what #1 receivers did, and equating that to Revis being the one that gave it up, which is false.

There were only 2 WR last year you can say got the best of Revis, that was Jordi Nelson amd Steve Smith in the playoffs. And Smith only got thr upper hand for what a quarter and a half? And Nelson really had just one play, which was like a 45 yrd TD, other then that he was eliminated from that game.

Brandon Marshall (#1)

Dont forget Sammy Watkins and whoever he was covering in the Dolphins game last year.

Counting playoffs i counted only 4 TD's he was accountable for, and I dont remember him giving uo anything more than 65 yrds, but nah he wasnt that good i guess...

I think it's you that must go back and watch games. Revis for sure covered Johnson many times in the Lions game. He also covered Hilton numerous times in theAFCCG. In fact, his INT in that game (IIRC) was in coverage of Hilton. Two or three of Revis' break ups in the Bears game came against Marshall in man coverage. There were many games where he covered multiple receivers. So yeah, there were times when Browner was on Johnson and Marshall and when Kyle Arrington or someone else covered Hilton. But there were also times when Revis was on those guys.

You're asking me what games did I watch when I watched every one more than once. I have each one on my computer as we speak and will gladly point you to minute marks when certain things happened in each game. But alas, I'm done with the argument. You're going to stick to your premise and tell me I'm the one who is wrong and needs to go back and watch games. As such, I bow out. I'll gladly say you can have the argument because I'm just not interested to go on. To me, Revis was all world and there was a reason he was being talked about as a possible league MVP. I didn't hear that about any other corner last season. That, to me, says it all.

Last edited:
Dont forget Sammy Watkins and whoever he was covering in the Dolphins game last year.

Counting playoffs i counted only 4 TD's he was accountable for, and I dont remember him giving uo anything more than 65 yrds, but nah he wasnt that good i guess...
Some people pick up an argument and no matter what evidence you present, they stick to their original premise. There's nothing wrong with backing off even a little when someone else gives you data. But he'd rather take statistics that don't accurately tell the story (like AJ Green's stats) and say, "See, Revis wasn't that good," when, if you take the AJ Green stat line for instance, Revis was out of the game when he scored his TD. He also was in zone coverage on two other Green receptions.

I just don't get the people trying to argue that he was anything less than shutdown or the best corner in the game last season. Sorry, I guess I was watching a different Revis.

I think it's you that must go back and watch games. Revis for sure covered Johnson many times in the Lions game. He also covered Hilton numerous times in theAFCCG. In fact, his INT in that game (IIRC) was in coverage of Hilton. Two or three of Revis' break ups in the Bears game came against Marshall in man coverage. There were many games where he covered multiple receivers. So yeah, there were times when Browner was on Johnson and Marshall and when Kyle Arrington or someone else covered Hilton. But there were also times when Revis was on those guys.

You're asking me what games did I watch when I watched every one more than once. I have each one on my computer as we speak and will gladly point you to minute marks when certain things happened in each game. But alas, I'm done with the argument. You're going to stick to your premise and tell me I'm the one who is wrong and needs to go back and watch games. As such, I bow out. I'll gladly say you can have the argument because I'm just not interested to go on. To me, Revis was all world and there was a reason he was being talked about as a possible league MVP. I didn't hear that about any other corner last season. That, to me, says it all.
Ok new game - show me one national news article that talks about Revis being MVP?

There was talk about Revis being an outside chance for defensive MVP, but lets be real...no one was beating Watt for that.

Darrelle Revis Shines In Patriots' 2014 Season-Long Pass-Coverage Stats

Here's some more info to back up how great Revis was last year.
In 2013 Talib allowed 29/65 44.62% 471 yards 54.1 passer rating,
In 2014 Revis allowed 37/78 47.4% 532 yards 67.9 passer rating.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/darrelle-revis-shines-in-patriots-2014-season-long-pass-coverage-stats/

http://nesn.com/2013/12/donta-hightower-logan-ryan-stand-out-among-patriots-in-2013-coverage-pass-rush-statistics/

I just do not see what Revis did that was so much more significant than Talib the year before.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/darrelle-revis-shines-in-patriots-2014-season-long-pass-coverage-stats/

http://nesn.com/2013/12/donta-hightower-logan-ryan-stand-out-among-patriots-in-2013-coverage-pass-rush-statistics/

I just do not see what Revis did that was so much more significant than Talib the year before.

How many games Talib miss in 2013?

Thank you.

Also, you forget the gauntlet of receivers we played last year??

I think your fetching at straws here man. BB and co, made the right decision letting him walk, but he was fantastic last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3