PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Semi-OT: Doug Kyed let go by PFF

You aren't wrong. The kinda risks you refer to are acceptable for someone his age and at the state of his career. He has plenty of time to recover.

Personally I thought he should have stayed at NESN. He needed to continue down the path of being more versatile in both print and media. Instead he went down the subscription path. Too much free content out there.
You’re right. I’m getting older. Gen X wasn’t as « risk taking » as the new kids. We were the last of the « get a solid job and stick to it » crowd.

But, as the young guns are crying about debt, I’m comfortable and have everything I want (helps if you are happy with fewer toys as well). I’ll never be a millionaire, but I’m able to live well, provide for my family, and travel a lot.

You aren't wrong. The kinda risks you refer to are acceptable for someone his age and at the state of his career. He has plenty of time to recover.

Personally I thought he should have stayed at NESN. He needed to continue down the path of being more versatile in both print and media. Instead he went down the subscription path. Too much free content out there.
I do wonder if a reduction of the people covering the Patriots is coming too. It feels like too many, especially for a team not winning championships anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
I do wonder if a reduction of the people covering the Patriots is coming too. It feels like too many, especially for a team not winning championships anymore.
Excellent point. This little cottage industry of Patriots coverage might also hit a recession.

It was still popular in 97 and even 2000 but nothing like the last 21 years or so..

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Very good point. The patriots success made a lot of people a lot of money. It seems every time you turn on espn or nfl networks last 20 years, they were talking about patriots. And now that they’re struggling, gonna be a lot less money out there. Interest has to be declining. Money will dry up everywhere. I know I’ve gone to 2-3 games a year last 10-15 years and stayed at the renaissance at patriot place and paid more than I’d like to admit each night. Definitely not going to do that when they are an 8-9, 9-8 mediocre team, especially one that has an offense more boring and less innovative than most high schools.

Not going to go too deep into it, but you often hear people talk about following dreams, etc. While it’s much less sexy, there is something to be said for stability and the ability to earn a decent wage. Many jobs won’t offer you the stars, you know going in that you won’t be a millionaire. But you also might have a high floor and the knowledge you are likely to live comfortably w/o the stresses associated with certain risks.

I hope things work out for him. It is a rough world out there for media, in general, unless you are a mega star. And even then… Even locally, I’d be curious to see how many make the kinda $$$ D & C were hauling in 15 years ago…

I'm one of the many journalism students who ended up in marketing. Big market editors, for example at New York Times, make $120,000. Maybe just a hair above that. Not a 'lax job by any means, and that's the tippy-top. Reporters for NYT (if they are staff, most writers are "contributing writers", which are technically freelance) make about $65,000.

I live in Cincinnati and avg pay is around $38k. It's a joke. I ran my own magazine for a year and... well, let's just say, the only dime I got out of it are the ten words "I ran my own magazine for just over a year"

I'd suck the chrome off a trailer hitch to get a livable wage job in reporting. I miss writing as a career. I miss researching and writing a lot.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back