Semi-OT: DeMeco Ryans sues NFL over Texans field

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
LB Ryans sues Texans for '14 injury due to turf

The lawsuit states that because of the playing surface at NRG Stadium on Nov. 2, 2014, Ryans suffered a torn Achilles tendon that "prematurely ended his noteworthy NFL career" as without the injury he would have "in reasonable probability, remained in the league for another five years."
At the time of Ryans' injury, the Texans were playing on a grass field where "modules" of grass created by StrathAyr Turf Systems were grown outside the stadium and then placed by forklift onto the playing surface. The Texans switched to AstroTurf in Week 3 last season and are playing on artificial turf again this season.
TLDR version is Ryans is suing the league, the Texans, and anyone connected to that terrible playing field.

Wonder if Wes and others might join in or file separate lawsuits.

Lol, guess that explains why he didn't get a call after Cushing went down. He was already in town, in fact, he is now a co-host for one of the local sports talk radio shows.

The Houston field is just one glaring mark of a long list of ineptitudes. You spend almost a billion dollars on a new stadium with a retractable roof and your architect's design doesn't allow enough sunlight for grass to grow. So, they just let this issue fester for 12+ years until addressing it. They had one of their of kicker/punter jack up his knee on that field it cost him his career.

Speaking of that retractable roof, you ever notice it's never open anymore? Those idiots, years ago against the Steelers, thought it would be a good idea to have it open on a 90° + day to catch the opposing team off guard. Instead, half their fans almost died of heat exhaustion & the Texans got steam rolled by the Steelers.

It's a very long list. Not to mention this little nugget from this morning...

Tensions spike between Bill O'Brien and Brock Osweiler in Houston

Not enough bad can happen to Houston's ownership. Untenable for the NFL to permit use of surfaces that bring such a high rate of injury.

Could you show me where natural grass brought more injuries than artificial turfs? The primary reason for switches was to limit the amount of upkeep fields needed.

Lol, guess that explains why he didn't get a call after Cushing went down. He was already in town, in fact, he is now a co-host for one of the local sports talk radio shows.

The Houston field is just one glaring mark of a long list of ineptitudes. You spend almost a billion dollars on a new stadium with a retractable roof and your architect's design doesn't allow enough sunlight for grass to grow. So, they just let this issue fester for 12+ years until addressing it. They had one of their of kicker/punter jack up his knee on that field it cost him his career.

Speaking of that retractable roof, you ever notice it's never open anymore? Those idiots, years ago against the Steelers, thought it would be a good idea to have it open on a 90° + day to catch the opposing team off guard. Instead, half their fans almost died of heat exhaustion & the Texans got steam rolled by the Steelers.

Could you show me the link that it was the architect's design of the retractable roof that didn't allow enough sunlight? My understanding is that it was the plan from day one for the grass to be grown outside on interlocking trays and then moved inside prior to games.

The punter was Brett Hartmann. And his lawsuit hasn't gone anywhere since he filed it in 2012 and amended it in 2014 to include statements from Eagles players..

I think there's a simple solution going forward after this where everyone wins, NFL and NFLPA agree on ONE kind of turf, everyone sucks it up and gets it. NFLPA agrees not to sue over field conditions. Could renogiate the turf every decade or so.

I think there's a simple solution going forward after this where everyone wins, NFL and NFLPA agree on ONE kind of turf, everyone sucks it up and gets it. NFLPA agrees not to sue over field conditions. Could renogiate the turf every decade or so.

That's not gonna happen as you have several different artificial turf companies now. I know of 3 different ones with fields in the league.. Not to mention in AZ where they still have a grass playing surface.. Same with Soldier field and Lambeau.

Bill O Brien seems to have had many arguments with QBs. The one with Brady is still resonates with me negatively.

IMG_1031.JPG
Could you show me the link that it was the architect's design of the retractable roof that didn't allow enough sunlight? My understanding is that it was the plan from day one for the grass to be grown outside on interlocking trays and then moved inside prior to games.

The punter was Brett Hartmann. And his lawsuit hasn't gone anywhere since he filed it in 2012 and amended it in 2014 to include statements from Eagles players..

Whatever the plan was, this was the **** atheletes had to play on at NRG.

Bill O Brien seems to have had many arguments with QBs. The one with Brady is still resonates with me negatively.

Difference being that was in the heat of a game, this was in a film meeting with the QBs. And who leaked it? Brock Asswater hasn't done a damn thing in the league to get ****y. So far, he's been an overpaid bust for that team.

I think you are thinking of Arizona's field, not Houston.

I remember that field ending Welkers season...that field is cursed I tell you. They need better standards for NFL football fields.

Could you show me where natural grass brought more injuries than artificial turfs? The primary reason for switches was to limit the amount of upkeep fields needed.
Any unsuitable fields, Soldier Field, Washington, etc. Field upkeep cost as a priority over player safety shouldn't be a thing.

Statistical studies seem inconclusive but lawsuits by players across various sports, those with first hand knowledge and whose careers are directly affected, regarding the issue seem to indicate otherwise.

I think the fact that it's a rodeo venue first and a football stadium second is about the most Texas thing I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes