PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalemPats

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Unfortuantely, i wasn't at the game and i find it difficult to understand what is going on in the secondary on tv.

It looked like Butler was all over the field, was their miscommunication and he was covering up for someone, was he getting beat? What was McCourty doing, i saw him in the box here and there. Was Gilmore that out of position?

The "excuse" was that there were communication problems in the secondary. IMHO, Gilmore's presence has been very disruptive. Against CAR, I suspect that they would have been better without his presence. Of course, he would have had to play once Rowe was injured. The coaches simply have to solve the issues.

The "excuse" was that there were communication problems in the secondary. IMHO, Gilmore's presence has been very disruptive. Against CAR, I suspect that they would have been better without his presence. Of course, he would have had to play once Rowe was injured. The coaches simply have to solve the issues.
What are you basing this on? What specific plays are you pointing to that Gilmore was the only player out of position/playing the wrong D/disrupting the other players?

What are you basing this on? What specific plays are you pointing to that Gilmore was the only player out of position/playing the wrong D/disrupting the other players?

I haven't said that.

There is one personnel change from last year's secondary.

Apparently, roles have been changed dramatically. for several players. In a sense, Gilmore is the "cause" even if he plays a perfect game. Of course, we could blame our pro-bowl safety for not being able to learn a new role.

Perhaps, just perhaps, the safety play from 2016 was good enough to win. There are many ways to adapt to replacing Ryan with Gilmore. I would argue that the best way MIGHT NOT involve changing the roles of the safeties. Maybe Gilmore-Butler-Rowe-Jones may be enough talent to be able to be as good at corner this year as we were last.

It is easy to say that 2-2 is not a big deal. I happen to strongly agree. I would say the same thing if we were 1-3. I will say the same thing if we are 4-4 or 3-5. With the best coaches in the NFL, and the secondary a supposed advantage talent-wise, we should be capable of finishing 7-1 if the team can gel for the second half. Obviously, the secondary will improve; the bar is much, much higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes