PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sealver Siliga signed to Practice Squad; 6'2", 325 lb DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack Herron

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
BXNlIXqIUAEciKB.jpg

Patriots sign defensive tackle Sealver Siliga. RT @S_Siliga: Proud to say I am now officially a New England patriot!
Former 49er, Bronco, Seahawk

*Sealver Siliga*|*Utah,*DT*:*2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

re: Sealver Siliga signed to Practice Squad; 6'2", 325 lb DT

Well, somebody traded for him once anyway.

That's alot of beef..

Cool name

10characters

Well, somebody traded for him once anyway.

Also, the 49ers and Seahawks have been interested in him. That is not a bad sign.

Also, the 49ers and Seahawks have been interested in him. That is not a bad sign.

Well, those two teams are incestuous. One could pick up Albert Haynsworth tomorrow and cut him the day after and the other would pick him up instantly.

Broncos player bio has him at 325, so he's a lardbutt (good).

The kid is a beast! I played with him in high school. If he can learn the system he could work out, he is athletically gifted and as strong as the come

29 reps at 225 at the combine....sounds like a proto 3/4 nose tackle...wonder what techniques he's been taught so far in the pros...could be more insurance in case Kelly is down for a long while....he's turtle slow...

good video on him pre-draft

Sealver Siliga Draft Profile - YouTube

29'' vertical?

BTW, there's been some confusion as to whether or not he was signed off the Seahawks PS (which would guarantee him three weeks' salary here).

According to NFL.com, he was a street free agent, so he can be cut at will, and means he could have been signed to the PS.

Sealver approval?

Everything points to this guy being more of a run stuffer. A lot of strength, but no speed or real athletic ability. I read something about him that said he should have stayed in school for his senior year because he looked okay, but not great his junior year.

I'm no expert but assuming the new guy is signed and this is not a 'here today, gone tomorrow' type fodder signing, this is a move to make the base-standard first down defense a typical 3-4. One that needs a fat body that is hard to move (if nothing else) at the NT. Kelly and Jones are to each side of the newby, Nink's at LB.

Provided he can simply (and only) be the hard to move fat body, this can work, it could even work well. However, given he is an unknown, it's nothing more than a serious crapshoot at best that he can step up to provide that kind of NT presence (even with it being an utterly one dimensional responsibility that will be asked of him). I tell you what, this sure is one hell of an opportunity for him to go from unknown to in the serious spotlight making a name as a run stopper and as a hard working professional.

What I hope is this is not a sign that Kelly is going to be out for an extended period. My gut tells me it is not and this is simply a response to the ease at which teams were getting a push up the middle as well as Mayo being gone/getting the best players available on the field with responsibilities that match their skillset as well as can be matched (ok, more a hope than a gut feeling).

He should be able to generate some push against the run, at minimum.. For all of the attention Jones and Vellano are getting against the pass, they have trouble holding their ground against A and B gap runs. Hopefully the kid gets it and sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick