PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scratch 1 QB off the list

Bourne Again Christian

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score

Was he ever "on the list" in the first place??

Not on any serious ones (or shouldn't be, at least).

I doubt the Pats were ever really considering him as an option. After one game he's hardly a prospect that could be the future (and the contract he got reflects that), he's not the win-now starter that would get us right back into contention in 2021, and he's not a saavy veteran that could mentor a draft pick and/or keep you relevant until that draft pick is ready. He basically wouldn't have fit what this team needs under any definition.

I bet BB was in the middle of cleaning up Nike's barf, causally looked up at how he was doing and went back to cleaning up barf again without any lingering thoughts about him as a FA target.

would rather have Scam Newton

That just opens the door for Alex Smith, who I think would be a great bridge QB here.

If people are on the fence about JimmyG because of injury concerns then they should be jumping off the cliff when it comes to Smith. It is a miracle that guy can even walk after what he went through. One low hit to his legs and who knows what's up.

He got more than I thought he would, but much less than many here thought he would. Imagine actually believing someone was going to pay him $10M/year or more.

If people are on the fence about JimmyG because of injury concerns then they should be jumping off the cliff when it comes to Smith. It is a miracle that guy can even walk after what he went through. One low hit to his legs and who knows what's up.
Sad but True
At this point I think it’s down to 4
Jimmy, Marcus, Mitch, or Cam

He got more than I thought he would, but much less than many here thought he would. Imagine actually believing someone was going to pay him $10M/year or more.
Wild
However he tore up a Bucs Defense that made Mahomes look like a junior Varsity QB.
I said it last year and I will say it again the Rivera hire was genius and he will make that team a playoff contender every year.
They Have the best coach in that division and it’s not close.

Well, it depends on the intention. Speaking for myself, i’m not viewing Jimmy G as a bridge QB - not with his age, accomplishments, and the potential trade assets given up. I wouldn’t be pairing Jimmy G with drafting someone else, except a late rounder that you think might eventually be an NFL backup. In that context I think it’s fair to be concerned with his injuries. In Smith’s case, I view him as a true bridge QB - literally a one or two-year stopgap measure. So signing Smith would be combined with drafting someone like Jones or Trask who would take over in a year or two. If Smith gets hurt and the rookie needs to play before he’s 100% ready, so be it.

Great signing by the Redskins. I think Smith is still the starter but now they have Heinicke as the back-up which helps solidify the QB room.

Well, it depends on the intention. Speaking for myself, i’m not viewing Jimmy G as a bridge QB - not with his age, accomplishments, and the potential trade assets given up. I wouldn’t be pairing Jimmy G with drafting someone else, except a late rounder that you think might eventually be an NFL backup. In that context I think it’s fair to be concerned with his injuries. In Smith’s case, I view him as a true bridge QB - literally a one or two-year stopgap measure. So signing Smith would be combined with drafting someone like Jones or Trask who would take over in a year or two. If Smith gets hurt and the rookie needs to play before he’s 100% ready, so be it.

That doesn't change the risk management situation with Smith.

In Smith's case the risk math might make it necessary to have another vet backup because a hit that might be a light ankle sprain for one player might be a season ender for him. Even if you end up drafting someone early in the draft I wouldn't expect them to be anything but a redshirt for most of the year until BB/McDaniels get them "reprogrammed" to what they want them to do.

It just seems risky with not more upside than other FA QBs. That being said he'd at least would find the checkdowns.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back