PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Tyler Higbee, TE

Been a big fan of Higbee for some time. Wondered if I were crazy for even considering him at 60. Some might even think a third round pick was reaching, but if I'm crazy at least now I know I'm not the only one :)

I only have seen one game of his but I thought his blocking was terrible, in fact borderline pointless. Decent and athletic receiver but he's not an inline guy at all for me. He can develop in that area for sure, but I think he has some way to go. He's another Tim Wright for me.

I like Jerrell Adams personally but this might be a year to sit out at TE. Let's see what AJ Derby has this year and then draft a TE next year when the class looks to be significantly better.

I only have seen one game of his but I thought his blocking was terrible, in fact borderline pointless. Decent and athletic receiver but he's not an inline guy at all for me. He can develop in that area for sure, but I think he has some way to go. He's another Tim Wright for me.

I like Jerrell Adams personally but this might be a year to sit out at TE. Let's see what AJ Derby has this year and then draft a TE next year when the class looks to be significantly better.
Is he a great blocker? No, but he is better than you are giving him credit for IMO. He looks like a guy who wasn't coached up much but the effort is there and that is what I need to see. If he is just a go through the motion type of guy, I pass, but I see someone who genuinely tries at it, just not always good at it now. He plays with tenacity and I see that in his blocking even though it is out of control at times.

Is he a great blocker? No, but he is better than you are giving him credit for IMO. He looks like a guy who wasn't coached up much but the effort is there and that is what I need to see. If he is just a go through the motion type of guy, I pass, but I see someone who genuinely tries at it, just not always good at it now. He plays with tenacity and I see that in his blocking even though it is out of control at times.

Wasn't he originally a WR?

Yes, he used to be a wr.

Still not sure if I'd pull the trigger for him even with our 3rd-rounder, but that will depend upon our success filling needs at OL, RB & WR during free agency. If those positions have been adequately addressed, then yeah I'll take him on Day 2 because Move TE is absolutely a need here.

I think my dream of drafting Tyler Higbee is dying a slow death with the recent TE signings. This makes me very sad.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be typical BB to draft him now that there does not seem to be a need? I know I still believe :)

On the other hand, wouldn't it be typical BB to draft him now that there does not seem to be a need? I know I still believe :)
I have not seen the numbers on Harbor yet, but Bennett is on a one year deal, so drafting Higbee to allow him to develop would make sense. Fingers remain crossed.

Harbor is also signed for 2016 only, according to RotoWorld.

Even if true, and I'm fairly sure that it is, I don't see Bill using any of his day 2 picks on a TE.
This could be a season where he sees what he has with Derby, rides Bennett/Harbor/Williams
with Gronk, and re-stocks the position next off-season.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back