PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

School a Youngster: What Made John Hannah So Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL Films has footage of a corner saying that defensive coaches warned him not to engage with Hannah on sweeps--just get down on the ground! You see people just exploding off-screen after he hit them. Cornfed O-linemen will hurt you.

Please, tell more. I've seen nothing but glowing praise, including that he was a "sweetheart" off the field.

mean
intelligent
tough
mean
well-balanced
technique
mean
quick
powerful
mean

John Hannah pulling from the guard position gave people nightmares... he was one of the very few pleasures of the Pats back then. He was respected by everyone who played against him. I've seen him pancake more people than IHOP. He was always balanced and over his pads. He didn't have a flaw in his game... did I mention he was mean too? Would make Logan Mankins look like a choir boy and I really really like Logan. Off the field, he he was a gentleman.

Every play it wasn't "Who do I block?", it was "Who do I block next?". Level one guy, look for the next.

Are you talking about his comments about Tony Eason? If so they were deserved. The team, not just Hannah thought Eason should be wearing a dress. Hannah just said it out loud.

Yeah, that had to do with the entire team wanting Grogan to be playing instead of Eason.

He was a garbage teammate who disparaged his own QB in the press and gets a free pass from people who had spasms of rage about Peyton saying far less damning things about his teammates.
Hard to block for a QB who wore a skirt and keep your mouth shut. Hannah will always go down as a Patriot great.

I've never met a 'sweetheart' who would throw a teammate under the bus and say he should be wearing a skirt instead of a uniform when talking to the media.

Who did he throw under the bus? What was the context? I'm just interested in knowing more lol.

I loved Hannah but i appreciated Tony Eason / he had a couple of very good seasons and managing very well the run to our first Super Bowl appareance...3 Wins on the road...

Joe Klecko said the hardest he was ever hit was by Hannah. Klecko was a great player as well. Hopefully he makes it into the Hall this year.

I loved Hannah but i appreciated Tony Eason / he had a couple of very good seasons and managing very well the run to our first Super Bowl appareance...3 Wins on the road...
In the SB year, Eason started the season and went 2-3 before being knocked out of the game. Grogan came on and went 6-0. Then Eason came back and went 3-2 down the stretch.

In the SB year, Eason started the season and went 2-3 before being knocked out of the game. Grogan came on and went 6-0. Then Eason came back and went 3-2 down the stretch.
And Eason at qb 3 W on the road on play-offs..first Super Bowl ever...i remember very very well that season

Reactions: Ian
And Eason at qb 3 W on the road on play-offs..first Super Bowl ever...i remember very very well that season
Whereupon he went 0-6 paassing with a fumble and had to be replaced early in the 2d quarter by Grogan with the Pats already losing 20-3. I also remember that season. :)

Whereupon he went 0-6 paassing with a fumble and had to be replaced early in the 2d quarter by Grogan with the Pats already losing 20-3. I also remember that season. :)
I give priority to the fact that we went at first Super Bowl and Eason was good
I consider him after Brady Bledsoe and Grogan the best qb we had...Parilli was from another hera...

I give priority to the fact that we went at first Super Bowl and Eason was good
I consider him after Brady Bledsoe and Grogan the best qb we had...Parilli was from another hera...
Sure, I'll give you after Brady, Bledsoe and Grogan.

Met him and got an autograph when I was probably 10. Holy hell he was huge but extremely nice and friendly. I remember that, had a big old smile on. I really didn't even know who he was back then lol.

He was a legend in Albertville Alabama and then at the university of alabama. He was incredibly strong, played with great leverage and was extremely mobile! When he went forward anyone in front of him went backwards.

In the game we lost in Dallas, he absolutely destroyed Harvey Martin. On one of the sweeps, he destroyed Ed too tall jones. Jones started giving hannah some attitude as Hannah walked back to the huddle. Hannah stopped and turned and jones shut up and ran!

there were a lot of strong players in football, and he was among the strongest at that time!

kind of amazing that our team has the all time greatest qb, tight end, offensive guard and coach ever! I do not think many other teams have four all time greats in their history!

Thank you for both your insight and introducing the word "brobdingnagian" to me.

A friend did the same for me last week, figured I'd pay it forward :excited:

(at least as it goes to the new word, not sure I provided much insight!)

he was mean and intense, and held his teammates to the same high standards he held himself to.....that can be a blessing and a curse for sure

Steve Smith Sr. was the same....when it's all boiled down and reduced = blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST