PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Schefter Report: Falcons Plan to Hire Raheem Morris as Head Coach for 2024 season

I can't understand why Seattle wouldn't go after him.

The last time Belichick replaced Carroll, the team won a super Bowl in his second year.
Seems like some of these owners think BB is overrated at his age.

I think Vrabel not getting the job is even weirder. He seems like such a good candidate to me? Why wouldn’t any of the teams want him?
I think the thought was the Titans would give him another year. His firing was kinda weird.

Tough wasted year for Bill if that's the case. None of us saw this coming admit it.
The biggest thing is I didn't thing the Chargers and Commanders would almost immediately drop out. I thought the market for him would center around those teams and the Cowboys/Eagles were sort of best case scenarios. Once they said they were passing, this became a massive possibility.

Several things outside of performance that probably hurt Bill.

1. The Kraft's waiting most of the week to fire him. That left a big window where other teams realized they weren't willing to wait on Bill and they made outside plans. It hurt the Commanders job once they went all in on a GM that was never going to be a Belichick guy.

2. The Falcons advertising that they were making a full court press on Bill probably scared off some people because they weren't prepared to be as aggressive as them and didn't want to waste time pursuing someone they probably weren't going to get.

3. Vrabel's firing. He might not even get a job, but I think there was probably a lack of urgency around Bill when there was already a much younger solid defensive coach who had success out there. It meant if you settled on that direction, you had a back up plan if Bill fell through so you could take your time and explore other avenues.

4. Harbaugh being active was even worse because now Bill wasn't the only proven commodity on the market anyways and you had an extremely hot name coming off success to take away any thunder.

5. Frankly I think GM's were a better draw this cycle than the coaches and go after some named GM's gave the perception that you were crossing Bill off your list.

I think Vrabel not getting the job is even weirder. He seems like such a good candidate to me? Why wouldn’t any of the teams want him?
Rumors were he was lobbying for front office control with the Titans and they didn't want to give it to them. That was probably going to be an ask anywhere he went. Also he probably doesn't have a good reason for why the Titans tanked the last two years despite being in a piss easy division.

I personally think BB didn’t really fancy any of the jobs available. He’s waiting for the eagles spot to open up. That would be the best situation, hands-down. If not, he’ll sit the year out.

Teams probably aren't willing to give him GM powers and Bill's not willing to work under a GM. I think that's the biggest sticking point in all these openings with Bill. If he was just coaching like Reid, owners would probably jump on the opportunity to hire him.

Well, we disagree (coaching hire, well, specifically one coaching hire, Patricia yes, but for that thing to be determinative is crazy). The drafts pre-2020 were bad for 4 years, but there was a lot of wasted draft capital to put the team over the top before that. Last 4 years the drafts have been good/fine.

Joe Judge, Cam Achord, Adrian Klemm, Troy Brown, Eliott whatever his name is (QB’s), Billy Yates, just not good.

Cole Strange, Tiquan Thornton, Andrews, Zappe, Mafi, And a bunch of dudes I don’t even remember.

Just not good enough.

Joe Judge, Cam Achord, Adrian Klemm, Troy Brown, Eliott whatever his name is (QB’s), Billy Yates, just not good.

Cole Strange, Tiquan Thornton, Andrews, Zappe, Mafi, And a bunch of dudes I don’t even remember.

Just not good enough.
Joe Judge was a top special teams coach in the league for many years. So I don't blame him for appointing him this year. That was a sound decision.

But yes, the combo of Patricia/Judge was bad the previous year. Troy Brown will be back. I don't know what you expect from Elliott what's-his-name when Kraft insisted he be hired and when we didn't have a good QB to work with because instead of trading Mac and signing one in FA, they were forced to go with kraft's preference.

Tyquan was a bad pick. I'm not sure Belichick is the one who made it (based on our analytics guy Wolf and his preference for speedy gamebreakers like Juju over Jakobi). Cole Strange a need pick, good player, Andrews (Jake? he played really well last game), Zappe a 4th round QB who plays like a 4th round QB, Mafi a rookie 5th rounder who is new to the OL (was a DL).

The biggest thing is I didn't thing the Chargers and Commanders would almost immediately drop out. I thought the market for him would center around those teams and the Cowboys/Eagles were sort of best case scenarios. Once they said they were passing, this became a massive possibility.

Several things outside of performance that probably hurt Bill.

1. The Kraft's waiting most of the week to fire him. That left a big window where other teams realized they weren't willing to wait on Bill and they made outside plans. It hurt the Commanders job once they went all in on a GM that was never going to be a Belichick guy.

2. The Falcons advertising that they were making a full court press on Bill probably scared off some people because they weren't prepared to be as aggressive as them and didn't want to waste time pursuing someone they probably weren't going to get.

3. Vrabel's firing. He might not even get a job, but I think there was probably a lack of urgency around Bill when there was already a much younger solid defensive coach who had success out there. It meant if you settled on that direction, you had a back up plan if Bill fell through so you could take your time and explore other avenues.

4. Harbaugh being active was even worse because now Bill wasn't the only proven commodity on the market anyways and you had an extremely hot name coming off success to take away any thunder.

5. Frankly I think GM's were a better draw this cycle than the coaches and go after some named GM's gave the perception that you were crossing Bill off your list.
Great Post BB the GM crippled the HC.

Rumors were he was lobbying for front office control with the Titans and they didn't want to give it to them. That was probably going to be an ask anywhere he went. Also he probably doesn't have a good reason for why the Titans tanked the last two years despite being in a piss easy division.
Well the GM is now in full control. In the press conference Ran Carthon the GM/VP announced he will now oversee all areas that impact the football team such as roster control, team activities and personnel decisions including draft and free agency acquisitions, Tennessee's coaching staff will report to Carthon. He will also have oversight of scouting, sports medicine and player engagement. Vrabel is probably thrilled not to be there now, if he isn’t he should be.

If Vrabel doesn’t get a coaching job and doesn’t want to just be a DC, maybe he can come in as an executive to help in the front office and also as an advisor to Mayo. Then he can take a swing as an HC candidate again next year, and if they draft and sign well this year, it could give him credence for asking for some personnel control at his next interview.

I can't understand why Seattle wouldn't go after him.

The last time Belichick replaced Carroll, the team won a super Bowl in his second year.
They just moved on from one septuagenarian I doubt they would want another one to replace him

So the Deflator was Bill all along. I knew it!!111!!!

And he didn’t just film practices I heard he eats kittens too. Can’t have that.

So there goes Bill's chance at 50 straight years at the NFL coaching level

Hmm, 1 whole year for BB to reflect and think about football freely and creatively??

If he comes back next year, it might be very scary

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back