PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scheduling Oddity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Just looking over the schedule and realized that the Pats only have 4 1pm games this year, and NONE at home until Dec 24 (Miami) and Jan 1 (Buffalo)!

Kind of strange, isn't it?

Just looking over the schedule and realized that the Pats only have 4 1pm games this year, and NONE at home until Dec 24 (Miami) and Jan 1 (Buffalo)!

Kind of strange, isn't it?

Not at all. In fact it's amazing that they have that many games in the early slot.

They're playing the AFC West, so those games are unlikely to start early on the east coast anyway.

They were 14--2 last year and their rivalries with the Jets and Colts are the stuff of national interest.

Plus, they're playing two teams with national followings in the Cowboys and Steelers. They're playing the first regular season rematch against the Giants since "that game" and they've got Michael Vick and the Eagles on the schedule.

Even the Redskins game is in the "flex" season and I guess most folks figure they'll just be mopping up against the Bills and Dolphins on Christmas Eve and New Years day.

So, what's "odd" or "strange" there?

Last edited:
There are definitely more games at 4.15pm than in years past, as far as I can remember. Not ideal for us fans over here in Europe, but whatever...

Speaking as a season ticket holder, 1 p.m. games are my preference. Football was meant to be played outdoors in the daytime.

There's football to be watched...this is a good thing.

On a personal note, I don'ttlike the 4:15 games as much, but my wife sure does :(

I was just telling my girlfriend this last night while I was looking over the schedule as well. We have a ton of 4:15 ers and some 8 o'clockers as well. Only 4 1pm games.

Thought that was weird too

I think the biggest thing the lack of early games shows is that the networks consider the Pats to be a big draw for ratings. Four night games is probably close to if not the maximum amount there can be, and the eight other late games are all at 4:15, not 4:05; that means those are all on a network with the doubleheader that Sunday, and are likely to be broadcast into a very large percentage of all US television markets.

For ticket holders the 4:15 starts are an inconvenience; I'm sure most would prefer 1:00 starts.

The late starts will probably mean the Foxboro PD will be a bit busier than normal, handing out plenty of revenue enhancers (aka citations) for public drunkenness.

For out of town fans in the US the schedule release was good news, as it means there will be more games than usual available on standard television for those that do not have the Sunday Ticket or a Slingbox set up with someone in New England.

Fans to the west are happy as that's that many more games that don't start early in the morning where they are; for fans to the east it's more of an inconvenience because the games don't start till 9:15 in the UK and 10:15 in most of the rest of Europe.

When your team stinks, you get 1:00 p.m. games. When your team is a marquee attraction nation-wide (90% of the fans outside NE watch our games fervently hoping we lose), you play 4:15 and night games. I love 1:00 p.m. games, but we won't have very many was long as we're good.

I miss having more 1:00 games.

But I don't miss Beasley Reece and losing/non-playoff seasons.

If we're half as good as we hope, those 1:00 late season games will be flexed out of the 1:00 slots and we'll have NO 1:00 games! I like 1:00 games better, and it kind of sucks we don't have a single one in Sept-Oct-Nov, but whatever.

Personally, I like it :)

Being in Virginia, this means that most of the games will be on TV!! Plus the one against the skins will be on here for sure.

That means I only have to worry about 3 games to find a place to watch.

I prefer the 4pm and sun and mon night games, gives me time to golf on sunday and get my yardwork done.
The only thing I dont like about monday night games is Im so revved up after the game I cant sleep til 2am.

Sweet, I'd rather have late games.

When I was a younger season ticket holder of drinking age pre marriage/kids, etc., (had tickets for awhile as an under 21) my favorite kickoffs were the 4:15 games. Why? Because you didn't have to get up at 8 to be in the Lots when they opened for a 1 pm kick - this didn't inhibit Saturday night drinking because you could sleep in till 10 or 11 and still get to the game when the lots opened (only live 10 minutes from the stadium.
Plus, as an added bonus, you could tailgate post game till about 9 and still get to the bars around 10 or 10:30...and drink till last call!!!!! :D
Ahhh, to be young and single again!!!!! :D

Speaking as a season ticket holder, 1 p.m. games are my preference. Football was meant to be played outdoors in the daytime.

Yes, that was kind of what I meant, too. 1pm games are much preferable for tailgating, etc.

I do like that we're so "national", though, that we're in all the prime slots.

Some good points there...

One thing I love to do, though, is sleep a little late on Sunday, roll out of bed, shower, eat breakfast and turn on the pregame @ 11am, and then watch the Pats @ 1pm!

No matter, though. We do have a great schedule, too! Some really good games.

As a TV watcher, there is noway I want to be inside on a beautiful fall day at 1pm. 4:00 pm games are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes