PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scalavino: BB will not name DC (or OC), will work closer with D

Status
Not open for further replies.
No sure what is his thinking around this. He claimed that he is yearning for new ideas and wants ppl to challenge him; but he does this, total control, where is the different perspective going to come from? Could the Krafts and BB have gone down the road of complete self-destruction? Last two years have been disappointing. What will year 2010 hold? I am very concerned.

Lets just admit it already...BB is the OC, DC, GM, HC, QB, RB, LB, CB, everything...its just sad how his arrogance has destroyed this franchise.

Calling it now, O'brien out as OC after week 6

Belli's tweaked.

Trash me but i really don't like the current direction of this football team.

Re: Scalavino: BB will not name DC, will work closer with D

This is utter BS. Bill has lost his got damn mind. Seriously time to cann him. seriously wtf is this???????

I also find this perplexing and frustrating. It is hard to see how having no coordinators is going to help us improve. One would think the more senior play-caller decision-maker type coaches a team has the better. Coaches are cheap relative to players. I think of how the Red Sox stuff their front office with ex-GMs, statheads, scouts etc. - the more the merrier.

Why is BB doing this? Here are the theories I can come up with:

1) ego - BB thinks that the problem with the Pats is too much reliance on others, not enough direct input from BB himself.

2) his doggedly contrary nature - the fact that this no-coordinator plan will frustrate and confuse the fans and media is its primary attraction to BB. He knows we will desperately look for answers to this conundrum, and he relishes leaving us with nothing other than "I thought it was best for the team".

3) managing staff rivalries - he is worried that promoting one young assistant will alienate the others

4) retaining his top talent - he is tired of young hotshots like Mangini and McDaniel getting hired away by competitors the minute he names them as Coordinators. By "hiding" his favorite young football minds (presumably O'Brien and Patricia) he hopes to keep them on the staff a little bit longer.

All four of these might be in play here.

The Pats have a good size personnel dept, larger than most in the league:

...and the coaching staff is pretty similar in size to most other teams in terms of numbers. There are enough very good coaches and one future HOF coach in Foxboro to get the job done. Just because most people and media members don't know the names and because there's no official OC or a DC doesn't mean that the Patriots coaching staff won't do an excellent job in 2010.

That's not true at all. Compare the numbers:

List of current National Football League staffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some random teams:

General Manager – Scot McCloughan
Executive Vice President of Football and Business Operations – Paraag Marathe
Executive Vice President of Football Administration – Lal Heneghan
Director of Player Personnel – Trent Baalke
Director of Pro Personnel – Tom Gamble
Director of College Scouting – David McCloughan
Director of Football Operations – Brian Hampton

General Manager – John Schneider
Vice President of Player Personnel – Ruston Webster
Vice President of Football Administration – John Idzik
Director of Pro Personnel – Will Lewis
Western Region Director of College Scouting – Scott Fitterer
Eastern Region Director of College Scouting – Mike Yowarsky

Vice President of Football Operations – Rob Brzezinski
Vice President of Player Personnel – Rick Spielman
Director of Football Administration – Dave Blando
Director of Player Personnel – George Paton
Director of College Scouting – Scott Studwell
Assistant Director of College Scouting – Jamaal Stephenson

Executive Vice President/General Manager/Director of Football Operations – Ted Thompson
Vice President of Football Administration/Player Finance – Russ Ball
Director of Football Operations – Reggie McKenzie
Director of College Scouting – John Dorsey
Assistant Director of College Scouting – Shaun Herock
Assistant Director of Pro Personnel – Eliot Wolf
Assistant Director of Pro Personnel – Tim Terry

Executive Vice President/General Manager – A. J. Smith
Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Assistant General Manager – Ed McGuire
Senior Executive – Randy Mueller
Director of Player Personnel – Jimmy Raye
Director of Pro Scouting – Dennis Abraham
Director of College Scouting – John Spanos
Assistant Director of College Scouting – Mike Biehl

General Manager – Tom Heckert
Vice President of Football Operations – Mark Schiefelbein
Vice President of Football Administration – Matt Thomas
Director of Player Personnel – Jon Sandusky
Director of College Scouting – Pat Roberts
Director of Pro Personnel – Keith Gilberston
Personnel Executive – Jon Spytek

Executive Vice President/General Manager – Mike Tannenbaum
Assistant General Manager – Scott Cohen
Vice President of College Scouting – Joey Clinkscales
Senior Personnel Executive – Terry Bradway
Assistant Director of Player Personnel – JoJo Wooden
Director of Pro Personnel – Brandon Phophett
Assistant Director of College Scouting – Michael Davis
Director of Football Administration – Ari Nissim

Last edited:
We are extremely thin on senior level positions. GM, EVP, VP level there is no body. Just directors of personel and scouting. It is hard (impossible) for these guys to be on equal footing or go head to head with Bill when differences arise.

Samething with coaching staff, there are no seasoned coordinators and most poisition coaches are green horns.

It seems to me that in the interest of coherence and unity, we lost on diversification and innovation.

Here is another thing, do we know Bill's defense, even when implemented to 100% with his prototypical players, can stand against elite passing attacks of today's NFL?

Don't forget we had 4th qtr defensive collapses in all 4 superbowls, when Pats D gave up multiple TD drives in the 4th qtr in each superbowl; that is with Law, Harrison, Bruschi, Willie, Vince, Seymour and all the other wondeful players at their prime.

That's same pattern as what we saw this year. Defense gave up 2+ TDs in the forth quarters.

So even if Bill has his scheme implemented 100%, with his type of players, that may not solve the problems. And the biggest issue with his scheme is, he is having a very very tough time getting HIS type of players, drafting or FA.

That's not true at all. Compare the numbers:

List of current National Football League staffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some random teams:

Last edited:
Brady coming off a devastating knee injury.

Multiple injuries to the running backs and offensive line.

Very little depth at WR, and injuries amongst the top two.

Playing some of the toughest pass defenses in the NFL.

6th in points scored.

Clearly Bill O'Brien sucked as an OC :rolleyes:

Watch it S, They get violent when you start talking sense around here.

When I heard the whiny voice (noise ??) of Ron Bogus I switched stations. But in essence if Brady is his own OC like Manning, that may not be a bad idea, after all he can certainly be better than a rookie OC

So long as the receivers run the correct routes when he is ready to through the ball. Good receivers and a little discipline will go a long way in this offense.

Lets just admit it already...BB is the OC, DC, GM, HC, QB, RB, LB, CB, everything...its just sad how his arrogance has destroyed this franchise.

In Bill I trust.

I honestly don't understand. Wasn't it said BB was spread too thin doing everything like that? So we're going to go into next season like this? Awesome, another season filled with **** half time adjustments, and blown 4th quarters. I hate this move and I don't understand it.

I honestly don't understand. Wasn't it said BB was spread too thin doing everything like that?
It was said by who ? Bill's job is to oversee and to coach the coaches. Having additional coaches to coach doesn't make Bill's job easier.

Interesting. Belichick has rewritten the book on how a lot of things are done in the NFL and maybe he's trying something else here. Without a named OC or DC he's implying that he can flatten the organization to adjust roles as the season goes on to put the emphasis where it needs to be on both sides of the ball.

As he says, as long as the roles are clear week to week, maybe there's no need for the titles. In fact, the titles might get in the way of getting things done the right way.

It means he has to be hands on with game planning all week, but, when you think about it, does he really have anything more important to do?

Interesting. Belichick has rewritten the book on how a lot of things are done in the NFL and maybe he's trying something else here. Without a named OC or DC he's implying that he can flatten the organization to adjust roles as the season goes on to put the emphasis where it needs to be on both sides of the ball.

As he says, as long as the roles are clear week to week, maybe there's no need for the titles. In fact, the titles might get in the way of getting things done the right way.

It means he has to be hands on with game planning all week, but, when you think about it, does he really have anything more important to do?

but the real question is whether he can break another mold and fire himself when if this experiment fails

So bill has got everything figured out, including how to stop payton manning and drew brees in 4th qtr? And also how our own offense can avoid 3-and-outs in the 4th qtr? So no extra set of eyes are needed to help address these issues?

It was said by who ? Bill's job is to oversee and to coach the coaches. Having additional coaches to coach doesn't make Bill's job easier.

Patriots without BB: 1 SB appearances, 0 SB wins
Patriots with BB: 5 SB appearances, 3 SB wins

Even if he was as "arrogant" as you claim him to be, there's no way to argue he has destroyed this franchise. That is the absolute dumbest thing I personally have ever read on this board. Congratulations.

Just because he hasn't named an OC or DC doesn't mean he's taking on all of their responsibilities. Simply means that no one has earned those titles, and he's going to put a little extra work in those areas. He has ALWAYS had final say and a big hand in everything. He has also ALWAYS had many people throughout the organization contributing to each and every decision, with and without those big titles.

GET A GRIP

Patriots without BB: 1 SB appearances, 0 SB wins
Patriots with BB: 5 SB appearances, 3 SB wins

Even if he was as "arrogant" as you claim him to be, there's no way to argue he has destroyed this franchise. That is the absolute dumbest thing I personally have ever read on this board. Congratulations.

Just because he hasn't named an OC or DC doesn't mean he's taking on all of their responsibilities. Simply means that no one has earned those titles, and he's going to put a little extra work in those areas. He has ALWAYS had final say and a big hand in everything. He has also ALWAYS had many people throughout the organization contributing to each and every decision, with and without those big titles.

GET A GRIP

It's amazing how you shills will explain away everything the Patriotds do.

Emoney, what do you feel the Patriots faults were this year? What mistakes did they make?

Last edited:
It's amazing how you shills will explain away everything the Patriotds do.

Emoney, what do you feel the Patriots faults were this year? What mistakes did they make?
Well, Tom Brady sucked and should have been benched for Brian Hoyer.

Well, Tom Brady sucked and should have been benched for Brian Hoyer.

Nah. BB made the wrong decision in even starting Brady in the first place. We should have kept Bledsoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back