PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

I wouldn't! :mad::mad::mad:

That would leave a Super Bowl contender with only a 36 year old QB without a suitable backup, and no provision for a follow on QB, if a career ender happened.:mad:
There's always Matt Cassel

I still think Cleveland's 2014 1st is what we should be targeting. Maybe they throw in a player/pick...

What would make me happiest would be to swap our 3rd's this year and their 2014 1st for Mallett. That is similar to 2 2nd's for Mallett and it would put us in a pretty sweet spot in the draft for both 2013 and 2014.

We could use our late 1st and maybe a package of our 2nd and early 3rd to get some real talent at OL/DL/WR and then try to trade our other picks into 2014.

If they really put a 1st round grade on Mallett and he is "the guy" for them then this still lets them have a high 1st rounder this year to add a OL/DL or another impact player for them.

Matt Cassel is only a hypothesis now, and likely merely a backup for the next decade.

What woud happen to this carefully re-constructed SB powerhouse with no triggerman at QB? You guys are daft.

Some are talking about mid or late round draft picks in exchange. What would you use them on? This team is deep everywhere except it could use a few more frontline, playmaker, Defensive players that you get in the top rounds. Or maybe they are now fine, and just need some more experience.

Despite your desire to ignore it, the Patriots will need to replace Tom Brady in the next few years. They need to be planning for that transition, and Belichick is doing so, I think.

Hopefully because TB walks of the Field into the sunset with a Lombardi, but possibly on a stretcher at any time.

I wouldn't! :mad::mad::mad:

That would leave a Super Bowl contender with only a 36 year old QB without a suitable backup, and no provision for a follow on QB, if a career ender happened.:mad:

We could probabaly resign Hoyer/Cassel without a problem for a backup, no need to keep Mallett when we could get an early pick for him.

Matt Cassel is only a hypothesis now, and likely merely a backup for the next decade.

What woud happen to this carefully re-constructed SB powerhouse with no triggerman at QB? You guys are daft.

Some are talking about mid or late round draft picks in exchange. What would you use them on? This team is deep everywhere except it could use a few more frontline, playmaker, Defensive players that you get in the top rounds. Or maybe they are now fine, and just need some more experience.

Despite your desire to ignore it, the Patriots will need to replace Tom Brady in the next few years. They need to be planning for that transition, and Belichick is doing so, I think.

Hopefully because TB walks of the Field into the sunset with a Lombardi, but possibly on a stretcher at any time.

Why would I want to take a huge risk (by comparison) by keeping Mallett when he hasn't shown anything to indicate that he's a franchise QB?

I've made it pretty clear that I am completely sold on Matt Barkley and would love to draft him. The issue with Mallett is he is going to be a free agent the same time Brady's contract runs out. So there is the possibility that Brady retires after 2014 (which I doubt, I think he will play on) and someone else pays Mallett big money as a free agent and we end up with neither. I always thought the Mallett pick was too early as a successor to Brady, but if the plan was to develop and trade him, now is the time. If there is a QB they really like over the next two years I wouldn't have a problem using a high pick on them as the eventual successor to Brady.

The word is that Mike Lombardi, the new vice president of player personnel for the Cleveland Browns, is very very high on Mallet, and that the asking price will be the "number 6 overall pick this year, plus more."

Could the Cleveland Browns Be in the Market for Ryan Mallett? | Bleacher Report
Could Ryan Mallett become Browns' next QB? - ESPN
Ryan Mallett will be the Browns’ starting quarterback in a few hours, right? | 100 Yards and Running | Blogs | theScore.com

It seems too good to be true, but the fact that this is even being brought up suggests that his trade value might be much higher than I previously thought.

What?? This would be highway robbery if it went down! Would love to see it happen but doubtful. LOL

Ummm how about this. Ryan Mallet for a 2013 3rd round pick and the 2014 1st.
I'd rather have Cleveland's future pick because Clowney is coming out in 2014.
If the Browns really suck it up, then we could land a stud player that we would have no chance of getting otherwise.

The word after the pre-season was that the Pats were hiding what Mallett could really do. They were trying to trade Hoyer before they ended up cutting him, so he played a majority of the snaps and when Mallett did play, they had him turn around and hand-off or throw check downs. Teams caught onto this, and gave New England nothing of value for Hoyer(a guy the Pats put a 2nd round tender on to keep). He was consequently released. Not saying that this trade makes sense, but I believe the Pats might have found a gem in Mallett. I believe, and this is purely speculation, that he'd be the first QB drafted this year.

I had not heard that, about hiding Mallett. I pointed out elsewhere that you have to see what Belichick does, not what he (mostly doesn't) say. He did cut Hoyer and promoted Mallett to backup after only his first real Traing Camp. So who knows.

But whether Mallett is a future great or not, he is the chosen backup. A full Superbowl contender that Belichick has been building for several years cannot go into a season with out a spare for the most important position on a Team, the QB.

The Draftniks posting here always seem to think some obscure pick from Okeefinokee U as a 7th rounder, can immediately replace a starter in his prime, who was originally a First Rounder. Meanwhile they create bizarre notions, while imagining impossibilities.

I had not heard that, about hiding Mallett. I pointed out elsewhere that you have to see what Belichick does, not what he (mostly doesn't) say. He did cut Hoyer and promoted Mallett to backup after only his first real Traing Camp. So who knows.

But whether Mallett is a future great or not, he is the chosen backup. A full Superbowl contender that Belichick has been building for several years cannot go into a season with out a spare for the most important position on a Team, the QB.

The Draftniks posting here always seem to think some obscure pick from Okeefinokee U as a 7th rounder, can immediately replace a starter in his prime, who was originally a First Rounder. Meanwhile they create bizarre notions, while imagining impossibilities.

Speaking as one of the draftniks, I'm always trying to imagine possibilities which is the point of studying the draft. As for looking at 7th rounders, it's a good job BB did, otherwise Alfonso Dennard wouldn't be locking down the CB position. We're just trying to find the same type player.

Immediately replace? No, I think that's pretty unlikely, short of an Alfonzo Dennard kind of situation. But there is a ton of talent out there, and the difference between a 1st and 7th rounder often isn't that great - sometimes it's hype, sometimes it's development, sometimes it's off-field issues.

Some possible 7th rounders who could impact come to mind:

- A DB like Tyrann Mathieu, if he slips, would be an immediate impact as a slot/nickel CB and would add physicality and toughness to the secondary. I think he's probably be an upgrade over Kyle Arrington before very long.

- A small school guy like Garrett Gilkey from Chadron State (who has held his own at the Senior Bowl) and who has all of the physical ability could develop in a year or two under Scar's tutelage into a possible starter. Immediately replacement? No. Long term? Maybe.

Just 2 examples, neither of whom may last to the 7th round. But that doesn't mean we should ignore combing through the ranks for them. This is the draft forum - this is what it's about. Those who aren't interested don't have to read.

I think that the question of trading Mallett depends on the answers to two fluid and interlinked questions:

1 - Does it make sense to let him go from a football perspective; and
2 - Does the value obtained by trading him make sense from a roster building perspective vis-a-vis not trading him.

Of course these questions are very broad and involve the consideration of a number of factors which are unknown and involve a degree of risk. I think that the answer to point 1 depends on whether we think that Brady will be around, fit, healthy and productive for the next two seasons (in which case Mallett will not see the field much as a Patriot). If that is the case, is it likely that Mallett will extend with the Pats when he hits FA? Unlikely. Therefore I think we should look to extract as much value from him as we can, whilst we can as we can grab a cheap back up to warm the bench instead.

My preference would be to be towards the top of the 2014 Draft as opposed to the 2013 Draft as there is more Elite talent in the top 10. In theory this also means that, if we value Mallett as a "first rounder" we can ask for something else in the deal, such as a swap of 3rd round picks, or even an additional 3rd rounder this year.

In that scenario, it opens up a lot of possibilities in this seasons draft, and potentially allows us to enter the loaded 2014 draft with two first round picks. If we can achieve that, I would be ecstatic - but I think it is unlikely!

Immediately replace? No, I think that's pretty unlikely, short of an Alfonzo Dennard kind of situation. But there is a ton of talent out there, and the difference between a 1st and 7th rounder often isn't that great - sometimes it's hype, sometimes it's development, sometimes it's off-field issues.

Some possible 7th rounders who could impact come to mind:

- A DB like Tyrann Mathieu, if he slips, would be an immediate impact as a slot/nickel CB and would add physicality and toughness to the secondary. I think he's probably be an upgrade over Kyle Arrington before very long.

- A small school guy like Garrett Gilkey from Chadron State (who has held his own at the Senior Bowl) and who has all of the physical ability could develop in a year or two under Scar's tutelage into a possible starter. Immediately replacement? No. Long term? Maybe.

Just 2 examples, neither of whom may last to the 7th round. But that doesn't mean we should ignore combing through the ranks for them. This is the draft forum - this is what it's about. Those who aren't interested don't have to read.

How funny would that be to draft Mathieu and have him contribute immediately a year after stealing Dennard?

I stand by earlier comments that this guy is a piece of work and a possible wasted pick but I'm not the one drafting and I so do love a good redemption story. Especially when it's a Patriot involved.

After reading the first 3 and last 3 pages (so pardon if there is any redundancy here), here are my thoughts.

1. If the Browns ever gave the Pats a top 10 pick for Ryan Mallet, the league should start an investigation. Ludicrous to think the Browns (who don't have a 2nd rounder in this draft) would trade this pick for anyone, let alone a guy who hasn't thrown 10 passes in the NFL, and has no significant positive tape on him.

2. If we are to maximize the 3rd round investment in Mallett, THIS is the year to trade him. Something like a 2014 2nd or a 2013 3rd would be more than fair. In fact I think even this would be overly optimistic.

3. The fact that Lombardi has the "GM" job in Cleveland ups the chances of a Mallet trade, but Browns fans would be up in arms if he traded a significant pick for Mallett. I don't know what kind of year Weeden had, but it wasn't horrible and he WAS a rookie. How dumb would it be for him invest ANOTHER high pick on an unknown quantity after investing a first round pick on Weeden last year.

4. The smart thing for Cleveland to have done would have been to keep that #1 picks and traded for Mallett LAST year, (2nd or 3rd) like I suggested.

5. If Mallett ultimately stays as Brady's principal back up for the next 2 years, then I would think that we'd gotten excellent value for that 3rd round pick. If he's traded for any value this year, we got decent value for the pick.

6. If Mallet is gone this off season, the potential back ups are many. Cassell is the obvious one. Hoyer I bet would love to come back, and Kafka is an interesting prospect. So if Mallet IS traded, then I wouldn't be worried too much about Brady's back up.

7. Finally, a question. Early in the thread when the euphoria was high and thoughts about a #6 pick were rampant, I was shocked to see so many willing to squander this once in a lifetime chance at a top 10 pick, on a OLman. Even if Volmer ISN'T re-signed, I can't see the Pats using that pick in an area of existing strength. DL is an existing need, and this, by all accounts is a great draft for the DL. Why then even continplate using this miracle fantasy pick on an OG, regardless of how good you might think he is. Just asking.

After reading the first 3 and last 3 pages (so pardon if there is any redundancy here), here are my thoughts.

1. If the Browns ever gave the Pats a top 10 pick for Ryan Mallet, the league should start an investigation. Ludicrous to think the Browns (who don't have a 2nd rounder in this draft) would trade this pick for anyone, let alone a guy who hasn't thrown 10 passes in the NFL, and has no significant positive tape on him.

2. If we are to maximize the 3rd round investment in Mallett, THIS is the year to trade him. Something like a 2014 2nd or a 2013 3rd would be more than fair. In fact I think even this would be overly optimistic.

3. The fact that Lombardi has the "GM" job in Cleveland ups the chances of a Mallet trade, but Browns fans would be up in arms if he traded a significant pick for Mallett. I don't know what kind of year Weeden had, but it wasn't horrible and he WAS a rookie. How dumb would it be for him invest ANOTHER high pick on an unknown quantity after investing a first round pick on Weeden last year.

4. The smart thing for Cleveland to have done would have been to keep that #1 picks and traded for Mallett LAST year, (2nd or 3rd) like I suggested.

5. If Mallett ultimately stays as Brady's principal back up for the next 2 years, then I would think that we'd gotten excellent value for that 3rd round pick. If he's traded for any value this year, we got decent value for the pick.

6. If Mallet is gone this off season, the potential back ups are many. Cassell is the obvious one. Hoyer I bet would love to come back, and Kafka is an interesting prospect. So if Mallet IS traded, then I wouldn't be worried too much about Brady's back up.

7. Finally, a question. Early in the thread when the euphoria was high and thoughts about a #6 pick were rampant, I was shocked to see so many willing to squander this once in a lifetime chance at a top 10 pick, on a OLman. Even if Volmer ISN'T re-signed, I can't see the Pats using that pick in an area of existing strength. DL is an existing need, and this, by all accounts is a great draft for the DL. Why then even continplate using this miracle fantasy pick on an OG, regardless of how good you might think he is. Just asking.

This thread is largely an exercise in mental masturbation as we have nothing better to do. It's possible that Cleveland will make a serious run at Mallett, but until they do, I certainly wouldn't do more than idly speculate. But it's fun.

There aren't a lot of QB options in the draft, and if Lombardi thinks that Mallett was really that good of a prospect, a Mallett who has had 2 years to learn under BB and behind TFB may be more likely to produce than any other option. As for how high they would go, IDK. The crux of the matter is that he has value to the Pats as a backup, so it makes no sense to trade him without serious consideration.

If for someone reason the Browns did decide to make a run at Mallett, one option I've suggested elsewhere would be to trade back from #6. The best case scenario for them would be #6 to St. Louis for #16 and #22, with St. Louis moving up to get Eric Fisher. In that situation, it might not be so dump to use one of your 1sts to go after Mallett. The Browns used #22 last year to get Brandon Weedon, after all. Mallett is younger and a much better prospect.

I don't set any store by the idea of Mallett for #6. Pipe dream. And if it somehow occurred BB would trade back. But the only positions I personally consider worth taking at #6 are QB, OL and DL. And in this draft I'm not sure I see a defensive lineman worth using the #6 pick on, for the Pats.

This thread is largely an exercise in mental masturbation as we have nothing better to do. It's possible that Cleveland will make a serious run at Mallett, but until they do, I certainly wouldn't do more than idly speculate. But it's fun.

There aren't a lot of QB options in the draft, and if Lombardi thinks that Mallett was really that good of a prospect, a Mallett who has had 2 years to learn under BB and behind TFB may be more likely to produce than any other option. As for how high they would go, IDK. The crux of the matter is that he has value to the Pats as a backup, so it makes no sense to trade him without serious consideration.

If for someone reason the Browns did decide to make a run at Mallett, one option I've suggested elsewhere would be to trade back from #6. The best case scenario for them would be #6 to St. Louis for #16 and #22, with St. Louis moving up to get Eric Fisher. In that situation, it might not be so dump to use one of your 1sts to go after Mallett. The Browns used #22 last year to get Brandon Weedon, after all. Mallett is younger and a much better prospect.

I don't set any store by the idea of Mallett for #6. Pipe dream. And if it somehow occurred BB would trade back. But the only positions I personally consider worth taking at #6 are QB, OL and DL. And in this draft I'm not sure I see a defensive lineman worth using the #6 pick on, for the Pats.

1. As I pointed out Mallet DOES have value as a quality back up, even if we don't know exactly how well he'd actually do. But if he were traded, the current availability of competent back ups in the league make me very comfortable in letting him go.

2. You make an interesting point in talking about Cleveland trading down and THEN trading with the Pats. That makes it a more probable (yet still highly unlikely) possibility.

I think the most likely and fairest deal would be the hybrid one I saw somewhere in the thread, where the Pats would get a 5th this year and a conditional pick in 2014, which would be a 2nd if he's a starter, and perhaps higher if he's a good starter, and something like a 6th if he's not. That's the kind of deal that would be a lot easier for Lombardi to sell to his fan base.

3. In the fantasy world that we get the 6th, I'm of a mixed mind. On one hand, you'd think that since the chances of the Pats ever picking that high are so rare that you'd feel the compulsion to take your shot. However if you haven't targeted a player you just HAVE to have, then trading down makes a lot more sense, especially if you trade out to 2014 and 2015. I don't see THIS year's draft as one that we need great numbers in.

As I said in another thread, we have 5 talented guys, who contributed little or nothing to this year's team (Dowling, Demps, Fletcher, Ballard, and Armstead) to go along with the 5 draft picks, plus vet FA's and UDFA's, so that we will have plenty of "fresh blood" to add to an already well stocked roster.

It's one thing to call an idea "daft".

It's quite another to call a person ~ much less a group of people ~ "daft."

For instance...

1 ~ The notion that it's End of Days if we trade Mallett? Daft. ;)

2 ~ The assumption ~ not the idea, but the assumption ~ that Mallett has what it takes to replace Brady, if needs be, Gods Forbid, and play at an high level? Super Daft. :)

3 ~ The assertion that "This team is deep everywhere", in light of our inability to match up in the PlayOffs without Rob Gronkowski on the field, and in light of the fact that our Defense instantly lost its Mojo and withered in front of us, the very instant that Aqib Talib was lost?? I'm going to go with flat out, mouth-breathingly stupid. :eek:

You yourself are a fine, brilliant fellow, I have no doubt. ;)

But I would recommend that you graduate beyond your pathetically infantile level of exchange: Personally insulting the intelligence of a group of people, just because we're pointing out the foolishness of your Arguments. :)

The Draftniks posting here always seem to think some obscure pick from Okeefinokee U as a 7th rounder, can immediately replace a starter in his prime, who was originally a First Rounder.

Yeah, I never heard of Tom Brady, either!!
jester.gif

Some Disturbing Yet Fascinating Truths, my friend:

1 ~ Tom Brady ~ 6th Rounder.

2 ~ Joe Montana ~ 3rd Rounder.

3 ~ Johny Unitas ~ 9th Rounder (4th Rounder in 2013 Dollars ;))

4 ~ Bart Starr ~ arguably the best'f'm all!! ~ 17th Rounder ~ 7th Rounder, today.

Sorry if the facts shatter your "Argument". :rolleyes:

And by the way: Get your facts straight. :mad:

It's East Okeefinokee U. :snob:

The Draftniks posting here always seem to think some obscure pick from Okeefinokee U as a 7th rounder, can immediately replace a starter in his prime, who was originally a First Rounder.

Umm...

As stated above: Tom Brady was a 6th Rounder.

It's beyond bizarre that anyone in this Galaxy, much less New EngLand, would be unaware of that.
spock.gif

Don't think he's a hall of famer. But, look at this year. Luck and RGIII went 1st and 2nd overall. Indy lost games on purpose to get Luck, Wash gave up 3 firsts and a 2nd for RGIII. Seattle got Russell Wilson in the third round. Going to be interesting to see how their careers develop.

And how is that any different than someone like Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson or Mike Glennon going top 10?

Mallett would have gone in the first round if he would have stayed for his senior year. Maybe even top 10.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back