PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Pats discussed reacquiring Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then you have a very selective memory of Jamie Collins.
Time away does some players a lot of good. Collins was a fine LB when he played within the confines of the defensive calls. When he got to his FA year and began freelancing, he fell off. Our LBs run in coverage like they have **** in their pants. It’s one of the reasons McCourty has had to move closer to the LOS this year. Bring Collins back and it opens the playbook a bit more.

I think we are also grabbing Dix as well. Heehee.
1jo9hv.jpg

Like an old wife. Can’t live with them.Cant live without them.

I mean Chung left and came back, never say never I guess.

I think this literally has 0.00001 % chance of happening. I love all these so called leaks of internal Patriot’s discussion. These people are so full of ****.

Time away does some players a lot of good. Collins was a fine LB when he played within the confines of the defensive calls. When he got to his FA year and began freelancing, he fell off. Our LBs run in coverage like they have **** in their pants. It’s one of the reasons McCourty has had to move closer to the LOS this year. Bring Collins back and it opens the playbook a bit more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he has no skill covering the TEs and RBs. But he was beaten plenty of times while here. He wasn't as shut down as some want to remember and now he'll be much more expensive.

I just think some people will consider our problems solved if we bring him back, and they'll be disappointed.

It's pretty obvious. Collins can cover as he has shown us in the past. A physically athletic LB with coverage ability is something we badly need.

Let's hope Collins does not have to cover someone with an athletic ability greater than 2014 AFC Title Game Owen Daniels possessed. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This has more to do with Collins' salary and what they'd have to give up to acquire him.

Chung was a dirt cheap free agent.

Tough to wrap my head around this one. His effort on the field for Cleveland has been lacking at times and he'll be expensive.

Guess we just gotta hope for the Chung effect.

And Belichick told Chung he was going to use him right this time and has. Chung has flourished as an in the box safety since returning.

Jaime Collins is not a good man defender and was misused chasing RBs downfield outside the hash marks (think Marshawn Lynch SB49) or TEs down the seam. Like DMcCourty, he’s a much better pass defender when the play is in front of him. He was pretty good at defending the short middle of the field picking up crossers and RBs coming out of the backfield. If he could do that role for the 2018 defense, his return could be invaluable.

As a run defender, Collins is not disciplined enough to be a good edge setter or gap control run defender. But, he’s a good downhill gap penetrating run defender if used as one.

Finally, Collins has the burst and length to be a very effective edge rusher and blitzer. One who is actually athletic enough to catch the Mitchell Trubiskys of the world. Again, he could be of great value rushing from the edge when the Pats are in their dime and quarter alignments.

I hope this happens and trust Belichick to use him in a way more suitable to his skills just like he has with Chung the 2nd time around.

Let's hope Collins does not have to cover someone with an athletic ability greater than 2014 AFC Title Game Owen Daniels possessed. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Some guys have bad games. I'm not sure that game should define his career in NE. Overall he was a good player while here.

He's a mutt...

Collins got owned in the title game...against Denver. He can run though...id prefer him to elandon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots