PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Romeo Crennel to be Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiring Romeo as DC might defy the whole meritocracy in the Pats System, that is employed on the field and in the front offices...

Patricia and Johnson have paid their dues and have worked their way up the ladder, our defense has gotten better and was bad, not because of Patricia but because of inexperience and talent.

Can see him as a consultant to either evaluate or advise, but not as DC...

Romeo is 65, so he may just want to hang it up..

Last edited:
Hiring Romeo as DC might defy the whole meritocracy in the Pats System, that is employed on the field and in the front offices...

Patricia and Johnson have paid their dues and have worked their way up the ladder, our defense has gotten better and was bad, not because of Patricia but because of inexperience and talent.

Can see him as a consultant to either evaluate or advise, but not as DC...

Romeo is 65, so he may just want to hang it up..

I'm not saying we should hire Romeo, but...

Patricia has spent two years of calling plays for one of the worst and most vanilla defenses in the NFL. Crennel has 3 super bowl rings and is a respected defensive coordinator across the league. What you are describing is precisely the opposite of a meritocracy.

Patricia has spent two years of calling plays for one of the worst and most vanilla defenses in the NFL. Crennel has 3 super bowl rings and is a respected defensive coordinator across the league. What you are describing is precisely the opposite of a meritocracy.

No it isn't. Patricia has been building something almost from scratch, unlike what RAC was asked to do here. There was a solid core of veteran talent here when RAC arrived a year into Belichick's tenure (remember, he was his own DC in 2000). What Charlie did here with chewing gum and bailing twine was actually a lot more impressive aside from the fact that in hindsight he'd been handed a GOAT QB.

This defense has been vanilla by design, and that design is the pervue of the HC. A young defense has to learn to walk between the lines before it runs. And from a talent standpoint it is just now beginning to round into form compared to the experienced and elite talent RAC was coaching here. The only times we've seen him perform as a DC since he's met with mixed results on talented albeit young defenses. Similar to ours until this season. He actually fired himself as DC of the KC Chiefs midway through this season...

Crennel isn't a head coach, so letting him walk may make sense. But I think it's a massive mistake to let Pioli walk too.

Patricia has spent two years of calling plays for one of the worst and most vanilla defenses in the NFL.
Crennels run defense is ranked 27th in the NFL. No thanks.

Patricia is calling the defense under BBs direction.

Crennel has 3 super bowl rings and is a respected defensive coordinator across the league. What you are describing is precisely the opposite of a meritocracy.

It helps when you have Bruschi, Harrison, Law, Seymour in his prime, Vrabel, Washington, McGinest,

Crennel isn't a head coach, so letting him walk may make sense. But I think it's a massive mistake to let Pioli walk too.

Why?

Piolis drafts have been a disaster. Theres no way you can trust him with the # 1 pick in this coming draft. Hes picked 2 Head Coaches that have produced 4 -12, 10 - 6, 7 - 9 and 2 - 12 seasons to date.

His QBs are Cassel, Quinn (Cassel 2.0) and Stanzi. For picking that trio alone he should be fired.

I hope Romeo ends up on his feet either as an HC or DC for a good franchise (i.e., not for a circus like the Jests).

In the meantime.....I think it would be a very nice gesture of appreciation to the Pats and Bill Belichick for his team to BEAT THE BRONCOS in his final game as its HC!!!

Is that too much to ask?

Why?

Piolis drafts have been a disaster. Theres no way you can trust him with the # 1 pick in this coming draft. Hes picked 2 Head Coaches that have produced 4 -12, 10 - 6, 7 - 9 and 2 - 12 seasons to date.

His QBs are Cassel, Quinn (Cassel 2.0) and Stanzi. For picking that trio alone he should be fired.

Pioli's drafts haven't been a disaster. The only thing that's been questionable are the head coaching choices.

CRENNEL
We have an Assistant Coach (dante), a DC (Patricia), solid drafts, and an improving defense that is at least average and sometimes excellent (especially up front). There is no place for Crennel. He might find a place elsewhere, or he might retire.

PIOLI
I would presume that Pioli will get a job somewhere as an executive. Kraft could find him a place (non-football), but I don't think that this will happen.

Last edited:
CRENNEL
We have an Assistant Coach (dante), a DC (Patricia), solid drafts, and an improving defense that is at least average and sometimes excellent (especially up front). There is no place for Crennel. He might find a place elsewhere, or he might retire.

PIOLI
I would presume that Pioli will get a job somewhere as an executive. Kraft could find him a place (non-football), but I don't think that this will happen.

I think that Romeo should retire and enjoy his life. However were he to take a temporary consulting job working for BB during this playoff run, I'd be happy to see it for all involved. Taking a football job with a premier team and coach after being fired again should salve any wounded pride, leading to a retirement with no regrets. Especially with another ring. :)

RAC needs to do us a solid and knock the Donkeys off before even considering.

What would it be like without the once a week Bring Back Crennel Debate?

Again, the only player RAC has any type of working relationship is Vince Wilfork and he was a rookie. It's like some people think he is going to rub a lamp and uncork Ty Law, Bruschi, Vrabel etc out of thin air.

Great coach while he was here but it's not like he breeded success elsewhere. If he comes back in some role then fine. But I'm thinking his ship sailed that night BB,Weiss and Crennel embraced in 04.

I'm sure Romeo is a phone call away when and if the Pats face the Broncos in the playoffs. RAC sees them twice a year and can provide some additional insight to BB on tendencies and schemes. Apart from that its not necessary to bring him back unless Patricia bolts for another job.

Pioli's drafts haven't been a disaster. The only thing that's been questionable are the head coaching choices.

They have.

1st round 09 DE Tyson Jackson is a JAG, 1st round 11 WR Jon Baldwin is invisible, 1st round 12 NT Dontarie Poe is a member of the 27th ranked run D in the NFL.

S Eric Berry, LB Justin Houston, K Ryan Succup, DB Javier Arenas are good players out of 4 drafts. Devin McCluster goes down like a sack of potatoes when touched and is always injured.

The best players on the team Pioli didnt draft - Jamal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers. Another pre Pioli pick Brandon Carr, Pioli let walk and brought in Stanford Routt who was cut weeks ago because hes a Bust. Pioli shipped out Tony Gonzalez. Who needs a good TE anyway? Pioli shipped off Brian Waters last season when the KC OL was in shambles and has been ever since he arrived.

The Pats drafts have gotten better since Pioli left and I wouldnt let him pick my fantasy team.

They have.

1st round 09 DE Tyson Jackson is a JAG

A 34, two gapping DE is not going to have flashy stats. But he's been improving every year and has 165 tackles throughout his career.

1st round 11 WR Jon Baldwin is invisible,

Baldwin has been disappointing, but you also have to look at what he's working with in the backfield. Cassel has completely lost his confidence and KC doesn't have much else other than that.

1st round 12 NT Dontarie Poe is a member of the 27th ranked run D in the NFL.

For one, Gregg is KC's premiere NT for the time being. For another, run defense is more than just one guy. Either way, this point doesn't make sense.

The best players on the team Pioli didnt draft - Jamal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Brandon Flowers.

Those players, save for Charles and Johnson, have been underperforming this year compared to what they had been doing previously. That's actually been part of the problem in Kansas City.

Another pre Pioli pick Brandon Carr, Pioli let walk and brought in Stanford Routt who was cut weeks ago because hes a Bust.

So you're faulting him for not completely hamstringing the salary cap for two CB's? Flowers already got the contract.

Pioli shipped out Tony Gonzalez. Who needs a good TE anyway? Pioli shipped off Brian Waters last season when the KC OL was in shambles and has been ever since he arrived.

For Gonzalez, Pioli was rebuilding a team. For one, Gonzalez ASKED to be traded to a contending team. For another, Pioli had an aging pass catching TE (a position which, at the time, wasn't a high priority to Pioli) coming off a good season to use as a bargaining chip to further speed up the rebuilding process. He got a second round pick for him, which was pretty good considering Gonzalez's age.

As for Waters, he was being a PITA, as we've seen with his tenure with the Patriots.

The Pats drafts have gotten better since Pioli left and I wouldnt let him pick my fantasy team.

Belichick has always had final say in each draft with this team, first of all.

The Pats also collected draft picks since Pioli left and used them to rebuild the roster. They had considerably more to work with than at any point Pioli was here.

A 34, two gapping DE is not going to have flashy stats. But he's been improving every year and has 165 tackles throughout his career.
Not worth a 1st round pick. There was speculation that he may not even make the team this year. The 3rd overall pick in the 2009 draft took a paycut. What does that tell you?

Tyson Jackson accepts 2012 pay cut to stay with Chiefs - NFL.com

Baldwin has been disappointing, but you also have to look at what he's working with in the backfield. Cassel has completely lost his confidence and KC doesn't have much else other than that.
Not worth a 1st round pick. Dumbaxx Baldwin took a swing at Thomas Jones his rookie pre season and broke his hand missing months. He doesnt get open and looks more like a TE than a WR.

For one, Gregg is KC's premiere NT for the time being. For another, run defense is more than just one guy. Either way, this point doesn't make sense.
Kelly Gregg was cut pre regular season.

A NT primary responsibility is to stop the run through the A gaps.

Those players, save for Charles and Johnson, have been underperforming this year compared to what they had been doing previously. That's actually been part of the problem in Kansas City.
The players Pioli didnt draft are part of the solution.

You wont see the next GM trying to get rid of them unless hes another Pioli.

So you're faulting him for not completely hamstringing the salary cap for two CB's? Flowers already got the contract.
KC has approximately 14 Million in extra cap space back in pre season. Pioli blew 6 million on Stanford Routt after playing about 8 games.

For Gonzalez, Pioli was rebuilding a team. For one, Gonzalez ASKED to be traded to a contending team.
Tell him, NO.

For another, Pioli had an aging pass catching TE (a position which, at the time, wasn't a high priority to Pioli) coming off a good season to use as a bargaining chip to further speed up the rebuilding process.
Go look at Gonzalezs stats these last 4 years and tell me he wouldnt have helped KC win some games.

Rebuilding? LOLZ The Chiefs are a mess. No QB, OL is awful, no WRs after Bowe leaves.

He got a second round pick for him, which was pretty good considering Gonzalez's age.As for Waters, he was being a PITA, as we've seen with his tenure with the Patriots.
The players dont run the asylum.

Belichick has always had final say in each draft with this team, first of all.

The Pats also collected draft picks since Pioli left and used them to rebuild the roster. They had considerably more to work with than at any point Pioli was here.
HAHA

The Chiefs picked higher in every draft over the last 4 years.

Last edited:
I'd welcome BROmeo back with open arms in any capacity

Last edited:
One thing we've learned is not to say "Belichick never does that."
He doesn't put a lot of emphasis on doing things exactly the same season to season.

I would love it if there could be a role for RAC. Assistant Head Coach? Advisor? Defensive liaison? He's such a good communicator.

Assistant Head Coach Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe