PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ridley officially arrives at crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What does the future hold for Mr. Ridley? Clearly a very talented running back but Belichick is not going to accept fumbling, he never has and never will. I expect Ridley to work out his ball security issues and get back out there and be the 1,200-1,300 yards back he is capable of being.

I do have a second question for you all; are these fumbling issues connected to Ridley being knocked out cold last year in the AFC championship game? The fumbles all appear to be occurring when he is changing direction, making a move or hitting a hole which makes me wonder if he is focusing too much on what could be coming and losing his focus on ball security.

Some media links:

Stevan Ridley arrives at crossroads with New England Patriots - ESPN

What is Stevan Ridley’s future with the Patriots? - Adam Kaufman - Boston.com Sports

Kevin Faulk tries to help Stevan Ridley hang on and move on - Sports - The Boston Globe

Nothing at all to do with that hit last year, he was fumbling long before then.

If you watch - the majority of his fumbles are down to the exact same sloppy technique, he holds the ball away from his body making it easy to swat out. Watch the one against Denver - the replay from behind the play you can see the gap between his body and the ball right at the LOS. Dumb mistakes that should have been coached out of him by now.

Adrian Peterson had nine fumbles in his second year and seven in his third. Imagine if the Vikings had given up on him?

If holding onto the football is the most valuable component of playing running back on this team why didn't they keep BJGE and pay for that supposedly most important ability?

riddley isnt even in the same category as Adrian Peterson.

Ap could go down as the best RB ever, Riddley would be lucky to last a couple of more years.

Ridley has poor technique, simple as that, should be fixable.

As for comparisons with Adrian Peterson...yeah, better to not mention the best running back of a generation in the same breath as above average runner guy.

If holding onto the football is the most valuable component of playing running back on this team why didn't they keep BJGE and pay for that supposedly most important ability?

The Patriots will only pay up to the value that they assign to a certain player. In BJGE's case, they already had drafted 2 RBs prior to trying to work out a contract with him so they were certainly not going to overpay for him.

We are always known as a passing Offense with the emmergence of Edelman, Gronk being Gronk and gulp Danny A staying healthy a average RB who doesn't put the ball on the ground will suffice. I really liked Ridley's profile from the bench especially his left side.:cool:

Adrian Peterson had nine fumbles in his second year and seven in his third. Imagine if the Vikings had given up on him?

And according to your opinion Ridley is in AP's class?:confused::rolleyes:

Since i'm not allowed to give valid critiques on players anymore :rolleyes:

All i have to say is this: Ridley with the aid of faulk will rebound to be one of the elite running backs in the league. He's a very good rb when he's not fumbling and is a decent pass blocker

How's that for being positive ivan and ian
franco-thumbs-up.gif

Who said Ridley is on Peterson's level?

Peterson was sloppy with the ball for a good while. He isn't anymore. A good many backs have this problem, and fix it. Some don't (Steve Slaton comes to mind). It's not crazy to say that Ridley can fix the fumble problem because even the best RB in the league went through it.

I think Ridley would be more valuable on another team. What we need is a rb that can receive the ball and play all 3 downs, somewhat like a Pierre Thomas/Fred Jackson. When Ridley is on the field he's not a threat in the passing game or play/action, he doesn't fit our team

I think Ridley would be more valuable on another team. What we need is a rb that can receive the ball and play all 3 downs, somewhat like a Pierre Thomas/Fred Jackson. When Ridley is on the field he's not a threat in the passing game or play/action, he doesn't fit our team

Good points Ridley is not a all purpose RB he is good on First and Second Downs but is an after thought on 3rd downs not a receiving threat. That said it looks like Brandon Bolden is further ahead in improving in that area he's no Shane Vereen but he is adequate. Bolden can catch a pass from time to time and look comfortable doing it.

riddley isnt even in the same category as Adrian Peterson.

Ap could go down as the best RB ever, Riddley would be lucky to last a couple of more years.

It's not about Ridley being in the same category as Peterson, it is showing that even the best RB of his generation had fumbling problems early in his career and he was able to fix them. That means that Ridley could too.

In fact, many very good and great RBs have had fumbling problems in early in their career and fixed them. What Ridley is going through is not an unique problem. To give up on him at this point would be short sighted.

Ridley has a very good chance of fixing his fumbling problems and being a top RB for a while. He has some special skills. He is not at Peterson level, but he is definitely in the mix at the next level below him.

Although Ridley is not a receiving threat, it is a falicy that the Pats only runs the ball when he is on the field. The Pats do play action with Ridley on the field, but unlike say a Vereen, Ridley is only used as a pass protector rather than a receiver.

I like Lawfirm a lot.

Well, we are not set at the RB position at all, I can see a trade or even a RB drafted from 4th round on if is on BB's board.

Blount is a band-aid, so is Bolden. Vereen is better receiving than running.

Ridley is a good RB when he runs carelessly, when he take care of the ball he's just average. He deserves some patient for sure but I think that doesn't mean we don't need to look at the position. I know the cap space is a problem but a proven and solid RB available on the FA could be a nice addition to this team.

Ridley could be a second back on the depth chart, running over tired defenses on the 3rd and 4rt quarter. That could give him some leverage.

About him inactive yesterday, I think was a good move. We won the game, it was close and everybody knew that would be. Turnovers makes a huge difference and for those who think BB is burning him it's just the opposite.

Although Ridley is not a receiving threat, it is a falicy that the Pats only runs the ball when he is on the field. The Pats do play action with Ridley on the field, but unlike say a Vereen, Ridley is only used as a pass protector rather than a receiver.

How often is brady sacked when ridley is on the as oppose to off the field? I don't remember brady getting sacked a lot when ridley is on the field.

It's not about Ridley being in the same category as Peterson, it is showing that even the best RB of his generation had fumbling problems early in his career and he was able to fix them. That means that Ridley could too.

Unfortunately many posters lack the aptitude to understand that you can use a players name in a comparison for a specific aspect of their game.

If you a thread titled Boyce has the same 40 time as TY Hilton you would be met with reactions as if you compared them 1to1 across the board.

Essentially the comparison is only Peterson's ball security in the first 3 years of his career with Ridley's current ball security.

How often is brady sacked when ridley is on the as oppose to off the field? I don't remember brady getting sacked a lot when ridley is on the field.

Naturally it would probably be less since Ridley is serving as an additional blocker.

LeGarrette Blount has 2 fumbles lost in 40 less att then Ridley hell even BJGE has 2 fumbles lost with a 3.5 yard per att average. lead backs will fumble at some point,

making your best back IA because he fumbled the week before IMO is not the right way to go about it but im not a NFL coach so it is what it is I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe