PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revisiting Martez Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Lately thee's been chatter about 3-4 teams looking at Wilson as a possible 3-4 outside linebacker. While there's questions about Wilson's ability to get off the block, he's got the measurables to fit the system, is fast as all hell, and was relatively productive.

Thoughts on Wilson as a dark horse option?

He lacks everything the Pats want out of their OLBs other than size and speed. And he has a very worrisome back as well.

He lacks everything the Pats want out of their OLBs other than size and speed. And he has a very worrisome back as well.

The medical is always that wild card. Unfortunately we're not privy to those details. I think Wilson is a possibility. He improved a lot last season and I think most of his weaknesses are correctable with good coaching. If he's still on the board in the mid-late 2nd (as I suspect), I wouldn't be surprised if we grab him and attempt to mold him into that stud pass rusher we're looking for.

I'll give Wilson this. He can tackle with the best of them. I just don't see where he fits on this team. Certainly not at OLB. He is a good player as an inside LB it's just I can't see us using a high pick on him when we already have Mayo and Spikes.

Whether he might be able to play OLB in the 3-4 is sort of irrelevant. He is worth much more to a 4-3 team as a MLB.

Last edited:
I think he has loads of potential in passing situations, in both rush and coverage. His speed and vertical numbers back that up. He's also very agile, flexible, and can move with great fluidity. But he is not at all looking like a useful OLB in rushing situations. He's a Gary Guyton clone with better rush ability from day 1, but in our system he might never be any more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back