PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Restricted Offense and Defense/Slow Starts

TomPatriot

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It seems to me that the offense and defense have been on a short playcalling leash this year. For example, I don't recall seeing the no huddle offense or many “all out” blitzes this year. I would attribute the lack of a no huddle to having a rookie QB. But why aren’t we seeing the defense dial up some aggressive calls? Maybe Bill and Josh and Bill don’t have that much confidence in their offense or defense.

After watching the Pats fall behind early in the last two games, running no huddle on the first series might wake the team up early and possibly avoid a three and out. Same with an early blitz (run and/or pass) during the first defensive series. The alternative base defense and vanilla offense during the first series have set a passive tone and left the Pats playing catch-up. Whaddaya think?

Coach Bill is super conservative on defense by nature. And when they bring extra rushers they rarely get home, at least from the secondary. I don't think he's changing his stripes after 40+ years coaching

Coach Bill is super conservative on defense by nature. And when they bring extra rushers they rarely get home, at least from the secondary. I don't think he's changing his stripes after 40+ years coaching

But they’re intended to apply pressure, not get sacks. It might also wake up the team early in the game. That and the element of surprise were my primary motivations.

don't forget for years Coach Bills bend but don't break defense was designed to limit big plays and force the offense to successfully execute 10-14 plays to score a touchdown. Coach Bill counted on the offense ****kcing up, and he and his coaches have spoken to this in the past. over the years rules changes and evolving offensive philosophy, especially risk taking, and better offensive skill players and quarterbacking have diminished the success of this bend but don't break. Coach Bill had the greatest of all time to mitigate the defenses failures. Ant this is my opinion - opposing coaches aren't scared of the Pats offense and are willing to take many more chances because they know the Pats can't score on offense like they could w Brady

It seems to me that the offense and defense have been on a short playcalling leash this year. For example, I don't recall seeing the no huddle offense or many “all out” blitzes this year. I would attribute the lack of a no huddle to having a rookie QB. But why aren’t we seeing the defense dial up some aggressive calls? Maybe Bill and Josh and Bill don’t have that much confidence in their offense or defense.

After watching the Pats fall behind early in the last two games, running no huddle on the first series might wake the team up early and possibly avoid a three and out. Same with an early blitz (run and/or pass) during the first defensive series. The alternative base defense and vanilla offense during the first series have set a passive tone and left the Pats playing catch-up. Whaddaya think?
I agree on the offense, though that may be due in part to so many players in their first year on the team. (I'm sure DKF will chime in on his worn out anti-Josh crusade sooner or later.)

In regards to the defense I will respectfully disagree. What games have the Patriots given up early scores because they didn't blitz?

Week 1 vs Miami
Dolphins scored on the opening drive, but it was a mix of the run (31 yards) and quick short passes that a blitz would not have helped (and perhaps would have resulted in longer gains). The next three drives were punts for a combined total of 17 yards.

Week 2 at Jets
Interception, Interception, FG, Interception, Punt in the first half. One first down outside of the drive that ended in a FG, and a total of 109 yards of offense by NYJ in the half.

Week 3 at Saints
NO had a long (11 play, 69 yards) drive for a TD on their second possession, but did not score on four of their first five drives. In that scoring drive there was only one completion (for 17 yards) that was not a screen pass. Their other first half score came after a pick set them up with a first and goal to go.

Week 4 vs Bucs
Tampa was limited to three points on their first four drives, then scored another FG at the end of the half. Blitzing TB has historically been a bad defensive strategy.

Week 5 vs Texans
Houston opened with an 18-play scoring drive - that included 11 runs. There was only one pass attempt that was not a screen or a quick slant - and it was incomplete. They also scored on the next drive when their WR leapt to catch a short pass, then ran 67 yards for a TD. In the second half they scored on a flea flicker right after the Pats turned the ball over. I'm not seeing how blitzes would have helped.

Week 6 at Dallas
Prescott goes 6-6 on the opening drive for a Dallas TD, but five of those passes were quick, short slants or screens. That was the only TD Dallas scored in the first half.

Week 7 vs Jets
The only NYJ points in the first half were due to a 46 yard pass interference penalty on Kyle Dugger.

Week 8 vs Chargers
LAC scored on the opening drive thanks primarily due to a long pass to Keenan Allen. The Chargers scored again on their third drive, but that was after a 75 yard run down the left side.

Week 9 vs Panthers
In the first half Carolina had three punts, and two field goals that were set up by NEP turnovers. The defense limited Carolina to 30 yards of offense on six first half drives.

Week 10 at Cleveland
The Browns scored on the opening possession, then adjusted with personnel changes and did not allow another score. Mayfield was only 3-6 on that opening drive, all on short passes. Lack of a Pats blitz was not resulting in yardage for the Browns.

Week 11 at Atlanta
Shutout. The defense must have been doing something right.

Week 12 at Tennessee
The Titans threw for 93 yards, completing 11 of 21 passes. Blitz (or lack thereof) was not an issue. Inability to stop the run was a problem though.

Week 13 at Buffalo
The Bills first half drives resulted in a punt, fumble, punt, TD, punt and punt. The lone Buffalo TD was set up by the special teams N'Keal miscue after a Bills punt, giving them the ball back in the red zone. Buffalo gained just 62 yards on offense on six drives in the first half.

Week 15 at Colts
Indy scores on two of their first three drives - thanks to Jonathan Taylor. Maybe the Colts saw something from the Pats-Tennessee game that they exploited. Maybe the Patriots are just like every other NFL team and were unable to stop Taylor. Either way, lack of a pass rush was not the issue.

Week 16 vs Bills
Yes, the Pats defense could not stop Buffalo. Isaiah McKenzie caught 11 passes (on 12 targets), 8 first down, 1 TD. He had 125 yards receiving - 45 of which were yards after the catch. Does the New England pass defense need to perform better than that? Of course.

But the real culprit here was the Pats offense constantly putting the defense in a difficult situation. Other than the second drive for a TD, the NE offense gained a miniscule 22 yards on their four other possessions: 3-and out (minus -6 yards), 3-and-a pick (14 yards), 3-and-out (7 yards), and another 7 yard drive for a punt. The Bills were constantly in great field position due to the ineptitude of the NE offense, beginning their drives on their own 39, the NE 33, and the NE 42.

The Patriots do need to make some defensive adjustments, but I am not convinced the solution is more blitzes.

Bill blitzed more in the late 90's with the Jets with his delayed/exotic blitzes. Did it somewhat in NE in the early years when he had big powerful LB's, but dialed it back starting in 2005 when the talent eroded. Has been pretty conservative since, but used Brandon Spikes and Collins as regular blitzers on 3rd down.

Last edited:
I agree on the offense, though that may be due in part to so many players in their first year on the team. (I'm sure DKF will chime in on his worn out anti-Josh crusade sooner or later.)

In regards to the defense I will respectfully disagree. What games have the Patriots given up early scores because they didn't blitz?

Week 1 vs Miami
Dolphins scored on the opening drive, but it was a mix of the run (31 yards) and quick short passes that a blitz would not have helped (and perhaps would have resulted in longer gains). The next three drives were punts for a combined total of 17 yards.

Week 2 at Jets
Interception, Interception, FG, Interception, Punt in the first half. One first down outside of the drive that ended in a FG, and a total of 109 yards of offense by NYJ in the half.

Week 3 at Saints
NO had a long (11 play, 69 yards) drive for a TD on their second possession, but did not score on four of their first five drives. In that scoring drive there was only one completion (for 17 yards) that was not a screen pass. Their other first half score came after a pick set them up with a first and goal to go.

Week 4 vs Bucs
Tampa was limited to three points on their first four drives, then scored another FG at the end of the half. Blitzing TB has historically been a bad defensive strategy.

Week 5 vs Texans
Houston opened with an 18-play scoring drive - that included 11 runs. There was only one pass attempt that was not a screen or a quick slant - and it was incomplete. They also scored on the next drive when their WR leapt to catch a short pass, then ran 67 yards for a TD. In the second half they scored on a flea flicker right after the Pats turned the ball over. I'm not seeing how blitzes would have helped.

Week 6 at Dallas
Prescott goes 6-6 on the opening drive for a Dallas TD, but five of those passes were quick, short slants or screens. That was the only TD Dallas scored in the first half.

Week 7 vs Jets
The only NYJ points in the first half were due to a 46 yard pass interference penalty on Kyle Dugger.

Week 8 vs Chargers
LAC scored on the opening drive thanks primarily due to a long pass to Keenan Allen. The Chargers scored again on their third drive, but that was after a 75 yard run down the left side.

Week 9 vs Panthers
In the first half Carolina had three punts, and two field goals that were set up by NEP turnovers. The defense limited Carolina to 30 yards of offense on six first half drives.

Week 10 at Cleveland
The Browns scored on the opening possession, then adjusted with personnel changes and did not allow another score. Mayfield was only 3-6 on that opening drive, all on short passes. Lack of a Pats blitz was not resulting in yardage for the Browns.

Week 11 at Atlanta
Shutout. The defense must have been doing something right.

Week 12 at Tennessee
The Titans threw for 93 yards, completing 11 of 21 passes. Blitz (or lack thereof) was not an issue. Inability to stop the run was a problem though.

Week 13 at Buffalo
The Bills first half drives resulted in a punt, fumble, punt, TD, punt and punt. The lone Buffalo TD was set up by the special teams N'Keal miscue after a Bills punt, giving them the ball back in the red zone. Buffalo gained just 62 yards on offense on six drives in the first half.

Week 15 at Colts
Indy scores on two of their first three drives - thanks to Jonathan Taylor. Maybe the Colts saw something from the Pats-Tennessee game that they exploited. Maybe the Patriots are just like every other NFL team and were unable to stop Taylor. Either way, lack of a pass rush was not the issue.

Week 16 vs Bills
Yes, the Pats defense could not stop Buffalo. Isaiah McKenzie caught 11 passes (on 12 targets), 8 first down, 1 TD. He had 125 yards receiving - 45 of which were yards after the catch. Does the New England pass defense need to perform better than that? Of course.

But the real culprit here was the Pats offense constantly putting the defense in a difficult situation. Other than the second drive for a TD, the NE offense gained a miniscule 22 yards on their four other possessions: 3-and out (minus -6 yards), 3-and-a pick (14 yards), 3-and-out (7 yards), and another 7 yard drive for a punt. The Bills were constantly in great field position due to the ineptitude of the NE offense, beginning their drives on their own 39, the NE 33, and the NE 42.

The Patriots do need to make some defensive adjustments, but I am not convinced the solution is more blitzes.
Interesting analysis, but I was talking about early blitzes in part to motivate the defense after the lackluster starts against the Bills and Colts and to mix it up a bit more. Not so sure I was clear on that. In both those games the conservative play resulted in early scoring drives that put the Pats in a hole. This team isn’t really built to dig out of holes, as many posters have noted.

Interesting analysis, but I was talking about early blitzes in part to motivate the defense after the lackluster starts against the Bills and Colts and to mix it up a bit more. Not so sure I was clear on that. In both those games the conservative play resulted in early scoring drives that put the Pats in a hole. This team isn’t really built to dig out of holes, as many posters have noted.
You understand that blitzing creates risk right?
You seem to be under the impression that blitzing = stop them and not blitzing = let them score.
The defense has allowed the fewest points in the NFL. I’m not sure “try something in case it motivates them” is a good fit.

they brought the house on the game sealing play at Buffalo but it was, IMHO, a pretty low risk situation as far as bringing the house is concerned...4th and 14 with a massive wind
but other than that safeties and linebackers blitzing and getting picked up resulting in completions is more the norm for Coach Bills defense

You understand that blitzing creates risk right?
You seem to be under the impression that blitzing = stop them and not blitzing = let them score.
The defense has allowed the fewest points in the NFL. I’m not sure “try something in case it motivates them” is a good fit.

Yeah, thanks. I think I know that a blitz can be risky. You missed the point entirely.

Yeah, thanks. I think I know that a blitz can be risky. You missed the point entirely.
Well “all out blitzing to wake the team up” doesn’t really seem to have a point.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back