PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remembering one of the greatest forgotten plays in Patriots history

Status
Not open for further replies.
October 27,1974. Pats down 14-10 to Minnnesoota and they have the ball on the Vikings 10 yard line with time for one play. Bob Windsor catches the ball and drags a few defenders into the end zone ripping up his knee in the process...never seen video since that day but one of the gutsiest plays ever....pats win 17-14.

That was a goddamn touchback.

Another BS play that haunts me from that game.
Despite what the media wants everyone to believe, the replay videos conclusively corroborated that fact; the official(s) simply were too blind or stupid to accept and call it

Obviously, there's nothing forgotten about the plays (calls) in the game (travesty) exactly forty years ago today. John Madden and his Raiders were NOT champions but were in fact chumps, and fluffing over it "for the good of the league" will never change that.

October 27,1974. Pats down 14-10 to Minnnesoota and they have the ball on the Vikings 10 yard line with time for one play. Bob Windsor catches the ball and drags a few defenders into the end zone ripping up his knee in the process...never seen video since that day but one of the gutsiest plays ever....pats win 17-14.
My heart was pumping a mile a minute after the Tarkenton score...I thought the whole world knew that Jim was going to Vataha for the bomb the next drive...but you know, most teams were unable to stop that hookup anyway, especially late in games...it happened all the time. One of the great days in Patriots history.

I didn't. It wasn't until I saw the words "A decade later" that I knew.

The funny thing was that Kraft was on there and said it was a play that we'll remember forever. So much for the forgotten part.
Kraft will never forget anything that happened after he bought the team, because anything that happened then is important, relevant and historical to him. Nor will he ever forget anything about the team during its previous 33 seasons, because he obviously wasn't paying any attention at all then in the first place.

Whenever Kraft attempts to pay lip service to the New England Patriots prior to his ownership, it sounds precisely like Roger Goodell mumbling about protocol, procedure, integrity and the shield.

Last edited:
Well, it depends on how you interpret the "visual" part of the "indisputable visual evidence" standard. There was no camera where you could see the pylon covering the ball, or anything like that. The "indisputable evidence" required mentally projecting the path of the ball based on where it came out of Bailey's hands, and where it landed. So it comes down to the semantics of whether something indisputably extrapolated from visual evidence is still "visual evidence," or not.

I tend to agree with you, but I also understand Jeff Triplette not feeling comfortable reversing the call based on his possibly limited understanding of vectors and trajectory.
There is one indisputable TV angle shot, which Triplette had access to. He chose to ignore it.

I know it's a player and not a play; but I see no more enthusiasm, passion for the game, leadership and intensity in this guy
th
th
th
than in this one
th
th
th
th

There was this one time in 1982 when the Pats were tied with Miami and it was snowing and a snow-blowing Zamboni snowplow driven by an ex-con that was clearing the yard lines swooped in and cleared a path for the kick. Most of you probably forgot that play, but it was awesome.

Another entirely forgotten play - there was this one time in 2003 when New England again was playing Miami - it's like they play them every single year or something - and it had snowed a ton, and there was a linebacker named Tedy Bruschi - most people have probably forgotten him - and he intercepted a pass from Jay Fiedler, who I think was the son of the guy who conducted the pops - and skidded in for a touchdown. A bunch of the fans spontaneously threw snow in the air. That was awesome.

And another forgotten play. Patriots are playing a team called the Raiders, and, you know what, again, it's snowing. Really hard to score. And this quarterback, Tom Brady, is trying to throw the ball but he sort of doesn't throw it and pulls it into his body as he is sacked and fumbles, but I think there is some rule that says something about pulling the ball in or withdrawing it or tucking it in or something, and anyway it's not a fumble and then the Patriots score and win. That was awesome too.

And another forgotten play. Patriots are playing a team called the Raiders, and, you know what, again, it's snowing. Really hard to score. And this quarterback, Tom Brady, is trying to throw the ball but he sort of doesn't throw it and pulls it into his body as he is sacked and fumbles, but I think there is some rule that says something about pulling the ball in or withdrawing it or tucking it in or something, and anyway it's not a fumble and then the Patriots score and win. That was awesome too.
"...um...Dave's not here, man..."

I thought this thread would be about Troy Brown stripping McCree after he intercepted Brady with a few minutes left in the game against San Diego in 07.

An incredible desperation play that probably has a smaller likelihood of occurring than a completed hail mary, forgotten because Indy won the next game.

Even more importantly, Brown's play allowed the Patriots to win, allowing them to do the Merriman Light's Out mockery dance at midfield in Qualcomm which made Tomlinson cry about it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back