PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remember Ted Karras?

I think we got Jack Jones as part of a trade up with that pick, so at least it wasn't wasted

They traded him for a 5th rounder and then traded it up into the 4th round where they made 3 selections

So that 5th rounder helped us get 1 of these 3:
Jack Jones
Pierre Strong
Bailey Zappe
That's all well and good but trading Mason led to us drafting a guard in the first round so I will always hate that trade.

I think we got Jack Jones as part of a trade up with that pick, so at least it wasn't wasted

They traded him for a 5th rounder and then traded it up into the 4th round where they made 3 selections

So that 5th rounder helped us get 1 of these 3:
Jack Jones
Pierre Strong
Bailey Zappe
Trading Mason yielded a future HOF-QB. Great value!

Karras was a good last year, but Owenu is better. We are missing Shaq Mason more than Karras. That said, the real problems with this offense has been at tackle for most of the year.

Karras was a good last year, but Owenu is better. We are missing Shaq Mason more than Karras. That said, the real problems with this offense has been at tackle for most of the year.
I still haven't heard a good explanation for why we flipped the two tackles. We went from an average to below average left tackle with Wynn and an above average to good RT with Brown to a bad LT in Brown and a terrible, and now MIA, RT in Wynn.

I still haven't heard a good explanation for why we flipped the two tackles. We went from an average to below average left tackle with Wynn and an above average to good RT with Brown to a bad LT in Brown and a terrible, and now MIA, RT in Wynn.
Bill was playing chess. He convinced Brown to take a heavily incentivized home town discount to play at RT. Brown actually got a better offer from SF but decided to stay in NE. Wynn had been recently extended but was still cheap. Now, you switch them and you get a $4.5M LT that should be motivated to perform or he doesn't get paid. Your RT should have it easier in his contract year.

Bill the GM outsmarted Bill the HC. The current OL has a total of about $26.9M ($15M active roster) against the cap. That has to be the cheapest OL in the NFL. Chess vs chequers.

SmartSelect_20221223_164524_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently our old friend Shaq Mason made the pro bowl.
You actually think that this is an accurate reflection of a player’s performance, rather than an honor that is skewed towards establish veterans, because of the power of reputation, name recognition and popularity among fans and players, don’t you?

Lol.

Onwenu is currently the No. 3 guard in the NFL, as ranked by Pro Football Focus. He has allowed zero sacks this season and only one quarterback hit. Perhaps most impressive, the 25-year-old has not been whistled for a single holding penalty this year. Ironically, his 81.4 PFF grade is more than 10 points higher than his predecessor, Shaq Mason, who grades at 70.9.

I was initially in favor of this. Brown's first stint with the Pats, he was a dominant LT. I thought they should have made the switch last year. And to be perfectly honest, he played pretty well at LT earlier this season. He has been making stupid penalties all season, but he blocked well. Wynn has sucked. But now, it is clear that Brown has checked out.

But at least the blame goes on the offensive line coach for this. So at least Patricia is off the hook for blame for the change as OC..... Oh wait!

You actually think that this is an accurate reflection of a player’s performance, rather than an honor that is skewed towards establish veterans, because of the power of reputation, name recognition and popularity among fans and players, don’t you?

Lol.

Onwenu is currently the No. 3 guard in the NFL, as ranked by Pro Football Focus. He has allowed zero sacks this season and only one quarterback hit. Perhaps most impressive, the 25-year-old has not been whistled for a single holding penalty this year. Ironically, his 81.4 PFF grade is more than 10 points higher than his predecessor, Shaq Mason, who grades at 70.9.
Half this board likes to say Mac was a pro bowler last year when he was just a guy who answered the phone and said yes. As for Onwenu I would rather have him over Mason. I would rather have Mason over Cole Strange though. It was absolutely asinine to draft him in the first round with all the needs on this team especially when Bill decided to pull his original offer to Karras and lower it for some insane reason.

I was initially in favor of this. Brown's first stint with the Pats, he was a dominant LT. I thought they should have made the switch last year. And to be perfectly honest, he played pretty well at LT earlier this season. He has been making stupid penalties all season, but he blocked well. Wynn has sucked. But now, it is clear that Brown has checked out.

But at least the blame goes on the offensive line coach for this. So at least Patricia is off the hook for blame for the change as OC..... Oh wait!
Paul Perillo on Patriots Unfiltered always talks about how much work Dante put into Trent Brown and how he would be nervous to pay Brown any real money with Dante gone. I think Brown is just one of those guys who needs someone to ride him and keep close tabs on him at all times or he starts to just coast. As the season wore on and the offense continued to suck Brown definitely has mailed it in. At least he didn't just bail like it looks like Wynn did.

*IF* he stayed, and *IF* the price was right, and *IF* he permed well, one of the Guards could have been moved to tackle. I know that is a lot of *IFs* (and not a popular idea around here) but at this point in time good offensive linemen are at a premium. :(

BB was asked about that and he said Onwenu and Strange were fit to be guards (meaning body type and athleticism). So I do not see any situation where a guard is moved to tackle.

The problem is Onwenu can't play LG, so you had to move Mason out to play Onwenu at RG.

It’s not that we let him walk, but we didn’t replace him. Criminal ineptitude. Bill was content with James Ferentz to step into Karras’s role.

Where was the veteran brought in?

Yep, Guregian is shooting her arrow at the wrong target: It's not Mongo (& his salary) that's missed; it's Billy's flat-out Refusal to seek out anybody better than Thanksdad to replace him.

Mason signed his deal in 2018. Did anyone really think Thuney was a guy that had to be locked up prior to 2021? I really don't recall many people, if any, clamoring over Thuney saying he was a must sign. Maybe in time Strange bulks up and becomes a good LG which helps us forget Thuney and Onwenu seems like a good replacement for Mason. The T's are just really bad right now and Andrew's gets pushed back from time to time.

Did anyone outside of Billy's F & Fs really think Mason was a guy they had to lock up prior to the 2018 season even starting? Especially after his inferior pass protection Failed us at the worst possible time(s) less than 7 months earlier??

Thuney was ABSOLUTELY more of a must-sign than Shack Mason EVER was... You just unwittingly said so yourself.

Did anyone outside of Billy's F & Fs really think Mason was a guy they had to lock up prior to the 2018 season even starting? Especially after his inferior pass protection Failed us at the worst possible time(s) less than 7 months earlier??

Thuney was ABSOLUTELY more of a must-sign than Shack Mason EVER was... You just unwittingly said so yourself.
Thuney got 90 million dollars, good grief...

They have great guards right now... as we speak. And both of them are cheap, on rookie contracts. Also Russey could be the Center of the future, also on a rookie deal and can play that swing position inside for now.

Our interior offensive line is great and they're cheap. They need some tackles with Brown being the only one under contract for 2023. They'll have double digit draft picks and currently have the 4th most cap space available with the 5th most players under contract entering next season. They're loaded with resources to improve.

I don't get all the handwringing about the O-Line... you guys should be more concerned who the O-Line coach is next offseason.

I'll take Russey over Ted Karras every day of the week... I can't believe a thread about a backup center is still going.

Thuney got 90 million dollars, good grief...

They have great guards right now... as we speak. And both of them are cheap, on rookie contracts. Also Russey could be the Center of the future, also on a rookie deal and can play that swing position inside for now.

Our interior offensive line is great and they're cheap. They need some tackles with Brown being the only one under contract for 2023. They'll have double digit draft picks and currently have the 4th most cap space available with the 5th most players under contract entering next season. They're loaded with resources to improve.

I don't get all the handwringing about the O-Line... you guys should be more concerned who the O-Line coach is next offseason.

I'll take Russey over Ted Karras every day of the week... I can't believe a thread about a backup center is still going.
Lol Cole Strange is a great guard?

Yes, the way Logan Mankins didn’t make his first Pro Bowl or All Pro team until year three. The same whiners crying “value” during the last draft are the same whiners complaining BB took Logan or Seymour in the first round years ago.

Strange is tied with a small group of OL from his draft class for the most starts this season. He played great against the Raiders and looks to be the plug and play player it was assumed he would be by real experts. A couple of rookie gaffes don’t diminish his entire body of work.

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. This is an age old maxim that’s true today as it’s ever been. Nubes think fantasy football weapons are all that matter… they aren’t.

Yes, the way Logan Mankins didn’t make his first Pro Bowl or All Pro team until year three. The same whiners crying “value” during the last draft are the same whiners complaining BB took Logan or Seymour in the first round years ago.

Strange is tied with a small group of OL from his draft class for the most starts this season. He played great against the Raiders and looks to be the plug and play player it was assumed he would be by real experts. A couple of rookie gaffes don’t diminish his entire body of work.

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. This is an age old maxim that’s true today as it’s ever been. Nubes think fantasy football weapons are all that matter… they aren’t.
Cole Strange has played pretty poorly the last 2 months.

Cole Strange has played pretty poorly the last 2 months.
Garbage take

Patriots RB's rushed for 216 yards at 7.7 yards per carry last week. Mac wasn't sacked once and had time to throw, this with Chandler Jones and Maxx Crosby on the other side... “played poorly.”

Sounds legit.

Last edited:

Strange69 sucked today, at least during the first half when it actually mattered, and especially for the 29TH OVERALL PICK OF THE ENTIRE DAM DRAFT.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back